David Cameron - No need for another referendum

Fide

Strange to see such a disparity between 16 - 17 year olds and 18 - 24 year olds?

Can't think as to why that is, exactly - are there more non-Scottish nationals in the 18-24 group than other groups? That age strikes me as being a "studenty" age - can picture a fair few English students in that group being asked for the survey, who in all likelihood are hardline No voters...

Bang on. Bare in mind that 'other UK born' was about 80/20 in favour of No and EU nationals was 59/41 in favour of No, and that those two groups would contribute significantly to that 18-24 age group.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course there is no need for another referendum. We were told this was a "once in a lifetime opportunity". Obviously that was said with the foolish assumption that Scotland would vote yes. The majority of Scotland said no and the majority of us no voters won't be moved on that position. Yes voters should have accepted the result and moved on but that was never going happen was it.

This is the rhetorical equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and singing loudly. The need for another referendum, or otherwise will be dictated by the circumstances of the time. To declare that there is no need, and to further imply that will not change in a lifetime is to severely underestimate how people's sentiments and a country's position can change in that time.

It's also been said, time and time again, that it was yes voters who did accept the result and move on. Within the Yes movement, energy was refocused into new projects in media, and in politics - 1,000s joined the SNP, Greens and the RIC I believe is planning on standing candidates next year at Holyrood. It's the No side that seems glacially stuck in a pre referendum world, waiting for the old status quo to reassert itself and vainly waiting on it's lap of honour that is never going to come. When people on the No side whinge about 'accepting the result and move on' they really mean 'stop believing in your values' which, let's face it is naïve at best and moronic at worst.

There was nothing in the Edinburgh agreement that forced Yes voters to stop believing in independence as positive progress for Scotland when they lost. In this democracy I am as free to agitate for Scottish independence as you are against, regardless of referendum result. Finally, just to pick up on something else you said - we don't need the majority of the No voters to change their mind: 200,001 of them, or roughly 10% of them will do. Going by recent polling, Yes figures have held up in the last year, indeed modestly increased.

Of course there is no need for another referendum. We were told this was a "once in a lifetime opportunity". Obviously that was said with the foolish assumption that Scotland would vote yes. The majority of Scotland said no and the majority of us no voters won't be moved on that position. Yes voters should have accepted the result and moved on but that was never going happen was it.

I still cant understand why Unionists cling to an opinion as an ironclad promise. Oh wait, yes I can.

Bang on. Bare in mind that 'other UK born' was about 80/20 in favour of No and EU nationals was 59/41 in favour of No, and that those two groups would contribute significantly to that 18-24 age group.

Its ok we can just use the eu ref rules next time thats it won

"Once in a lifetime opportunity"

"Majority said no"

"Move on"

"Accept the result"

yawn-o.gif

Bore off, Grandad. You may as well get on board the SNP tsunami and enjoy the journey.

No thanks thicko. Anyone who drops to the despicable levels of Scottish Nationalists isn't worthy of a single ounce of respect.

Speaking of respect, why did you vote No?

I'm curious. And I'd like your own reasons please, not a Daily Mail soundbite.

Daily mail soundbite?

Why did I vote no? Let me see I was blessed with two things you clearly lack. Common sense and intelligence. It gives me the ability to see through the SNP for the abhorrent racists that they really are.

9 posts in and the mask slips.

Dear oh dear. A foul Cyberbritnat.

Your sort DISGUST me.

I think that the next referendum should be in the next Scottish Parliament, but should be on a properly defined "Devo Max". That is winnable, and allows an independence referendum to be held, if wished for, 10 years or so later.

Daily mail soundbite?

Why did I vote no? Let me see I was blessed with two things you clearly lack. Common sense and intelligence. It gives me the ability to see through the SNP for the abhorrent racists that they really are.

That's a jaw dropping level of stupid post, well done.

Hahaha . I'm sorry but just what are you on about you complete cretin?

Your "sort".

Purveyors of the Scottish cringe.

I'll bet you're no younger than baby boomer age. Am I right?

It's never wise to share personal information on public forums or on the internet at all. When will you spotty kids learn?

So, Alec, I'm interested... What was it that persuaded you to vote No?

YOUR mortgage?

YOUR savings?

YOUR pension?

I think that the next referendum should be in the next Scottish Parliament, but should be on a properly defined "Devo Max". That is winnable, and allows an independence referendum to be held, if wished for, 10 years or so later.

That's what I think we should have been voting for last year instead of ending up with "the vow" as a booby prize.

There was nothing more amusing than the reaction to the coverage of the referendum results from those obnoxious yes voting idiots. It really was comedy gold.

Perhaps, though that was eventually tempered by the shrieks of howling derision from the forelock tugging servile brigade on the 7th May as the Only Show in Town swept the board.

There was nothing more amusing than the reaction to the coverage of the referendum results from those obnoxious yes voting idiots. It really was comedy gold.

DId you also enjoy the reaction of the drunken loutish unionist bigots roaming the streets of Glasgow after their victory and showing Scotland as an enlightened nation?

Archived