East Fife v Dumbarton

A hard fought victory hard to see how there is 2 leagues between these teams. Dumbarton played some pretty football in parts of the park it didn't matter. They never troubled us at the back and didn't get in behind us once. We gave a dogged midfield display and I still don't know why the ref disallowed Austins 2nd goal. Thought we were finished when we missed 2 in pens in a row. Kevin Smith was sorely missed up top as we didn't really have an out ball. Gibson looked decent for sons. I think Barrs pace will be found out when he plays better opposition. A big well done to Gary and the boys a great fighting spirit.

We actually got in behind on nunerous occasions but the final ball was apalling. Our passing was a massive let down today. There wasn't much between the sides in fairness. Congratulations and all the best in the next round!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointing afternoon for us, but all credit to East Fife who were well organised and fully focused throughout. And if you cannot stick away two chances to win a penalty shoot-out then there can be little complaint.

There was an over-elaboration in much of our play and a distinct lack of cutting edge, and I'm not sure if both Cawley and Gibson in the starting line-up is too much trickery at a cost of directness. As has already been pointed out the final ball was generally shocking.

It's a cup exit, but no cause to hit the panic button; the team is still gelling and it willtake time for the best XI to emerge. The angry attitudes will need addressed however - and quickly.

Guest TOPFITTER

The only positive for the Dumbarton FC set-up today was the travelling support, stand up and take a bow. Always vocal, always adding atmosphere and had the class to applaud a woeful team (performance) off the park.

Massive well done to East Fife who could have and maybe should have had the game won in the 90.

Well done to my mate Pat Slattery who certainly didn't look out of place in this company :thumsup2

A great result for us, but maybe not the finest match I'll ever watch.

Don't really recall much for either keeper to do in the first half. In fact so bad it was at one point I was watching an old guy fishing on the sea wall and reeling in a fish.

Fife were quick out the traps second half. Austin seemed to cause trouble with his pace a fair bit and the finish was class.

We had maybe a ten min spell then where we looked good.

One Dumbarton equalised we seemed on the back foot. Maybe looked really tired late on.

Pens are horrible but fantastic at the same time.

When Sutherland skied his I thought that was it, but it's never over til it's over.

Between this and Falkirk last week, I'm looking forward to the league campaign.

Best of luck to the Sons in their league fixtures, great to see a pt club doing more than just treading water in the lowest tier.

Very disappointing from us today but I've seen enough of us so far to know that was just an off day.

I was really unimpressed with Gallagher and Routledge today, both of them were well below par. Night and day compared to last weeks midfield masterclass. Fleming needs a boot up the arse I'm afraid, totally unacceptable to show such levels of petulance and he's lucky big Faz never lamped him. That needs addressed pronto or he can warm the bench. To completely ignore play to argue with the captain is not on, sheer stupidity and I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a fight on his hands to get back into the starting 11, and rightly so.

I'm still not convinced by Buchanan and I'm not just basing that on today's performance. The constant punting up the park is frustrating, his positioning also leaves a lot to be desired. Is he a better option than Graham? From what I've seen he's not but he's young and I'll be expecting better from him when league duties start.

Lots for wee Stevie to ponder over the next week and that may be a good thing.

Well done East Fife, well organised and very difficult to break down. Aw the best in the next round.

I'm still not convinced by Buchanan and I'm not just basing that on today's performance. The constant punting up the park is frustrating, his positioning also leaves a lot to be desired. Is he a better option than Graham? From what I've seen he's not but he's young and I'll be expecting better from him when league duties start.

In his time with us Buchanan was basically solid for 4-5 months when we went on a great run 2 seasons ago, got a move to Dunfermline off the back of that and although their fans seem to think he was decent, being a regular part of their shambolic defence last season is hard to overlook. And he was particularly rubbish the last time we played them, giving away two goals. This is all in a league below yours.

I'll be really interested to see how he gets on, I'm thoroughly in the unconvinced camp, he can head it and belt it, but not much else. However that can be enough sometimes. I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm pretty sure I heard aitken say get to f**k and pointed up the tunnel to garry, big chase went down the tunnel after him so I reckon he's told him to calm it. Hopefully just a heat of the moment thing. Annoying how he was walking towards barr though as play was still going on round about him.

gaz was wrong to loose the head today with barr I think we can all agree , but for barr to start shouting at him to hold the ball up when its long high balls to him is out of order , what is he supposed to do with balls played up to him at head height , to hold balls up should they not be played to his feet and give him a chance , the service from the midfield was non exsistent and more often than not the ball was played backwards . why did the manager not play with gaz and craig up top to start with , we were playing a team from a lower division....barr should get his defense in order first before shouting at other players , he was caught out a few times and his pace was in question when left one on one....a poor overall performance from sons today and to miss 3 penalties was criminal...........let the travelling support down

Couldn't agree more. Said it to quite a few folk over the last few weeks. I'm not convinced at all. He is a big powerful centre back who is very good in the air, but with the ball at his feet he is hot and cold. Pings a 50 yard pass onto someone's head, then 2 minutes later he hits one out of play and nowhere near the intended target. He also gets caught positionally a lot! I know big chase doesn't have the pace that Bucky has but he has a better positional awareness to counter that and if I had a say in the matter I'd pair up Barr and Graham to see how it goes.

That being said, I'm not the manager or coach and they know best what will work for us. I trust in the 2 Stevie's to get things right.

gaz was wrong to loose the head today with barr I think we can all agree , but for barr to start shouting at him to hold the ball up when its long high balls to him is out of order , what is he supposed to do with balls played up to him at head height , to hold balls up should they not be played to his feet and give him a chance , the service from the midfield was non exsistent and more often than not the ball was played backwards . why did the manager not play with gaz and craig up top to start with , we were playing a team from a lower division....barr should get his defense in order first before shouting at other players , he was caught out a few times and his pace was in question when left one on one....a poor overall performance from sons today and to miss 3 penalties was criminal...........let the travelling support down

I agree and I'm not convinced by barr yet, aye that boy Austin had a bit of pace but barr looks really slow. I think Id much rather have andy graham on, still early days though and plenty time to win me round.

Aye Flemings service wasn't great, we didn't find pockets of space that we managed to find against morton due to East Fife sitting back. Craig looks strong as f**k and controlled almost every ball that was fired to him, including the ones that Fleming is guilty of not trying for.

Thought we deserved that tbh, as I feel we should have won it over the original 90 minutes, I saw nothing wrong with Fash's disallowed second goal, thought it was a very soft decision and really got Dumbarton out of jail and denied us victory!!!

Into extra time though and I did feel that apart from a couple of decent efforts at the start of the 1st period that we were holding on for most of it, not necessarily out of just trying to get the game to penalties but because Dumbarton were pressing us so well and like us earlier should have won it with Cawley's disallowed goal, again I saw nothing wrong with it and as previously it was a very soft decision that this time, got us out of jail!!!

Penalties are always a lottery, we won it, Dumbarton didn’t so you shouldn’t beat yourselves up over it, as said you can concentrate of the League and keep flying the “Part-Time” flag in the Championship as an example to other Clubs in the 1st and 2nd Divisions!!!

Most pleasing aspect, apart from the victory, was that for the second week in a row any neutral observers would have been hard pushed to distinguish who exactly was the “Championship” side and who was from the League Two, without making any rash declarations it augers well for us this season, Gary has done well this summer and has assembled the makings of a good squad, after all we beat a “Championship” side yesterday and our best player (and possibly the best player in the 2nd) wasn’t even playing!!!

Andy Graham's hardly known for his blistering pace. Putting him in place of Barr doesn't solve the too slow issue. Barr has been great so far IMO.

It may not solve the issue of pace but it may improve Buchanan's game by having someone to talk him through the game, which Barr doesn't seem to do as effectively as Graham.

I don't really see what Barr's done to merit being dropped, I like him. He got done for pace a couple of times yesterday but that's where I'd expect other defenders to be covering. Most centre backs would have struggled in a race with the lad Austin, we should've adapted to deal with it.

I certainly wouldn't sacrifice him in the hope that Graham's presence would improve Buchanan. He should be capable enough without the need for Andy Graham to tell him what to do. Playing alongside either Barr or Graham should do him some good in terms of learning off their experience.

I don't really see what Barr's done to merit being dropped, I like him. He got done for pace a couple of times yesterday but that's where I'd expect other defenders to be covering. Most centre backs would have struggled in a race with the lad Austin, we should've adapted to deal with it.

I certainly wouldn't sacrifice him in the hope that Graham's presence would improve Buchanan. He should be capable enough without the need for Andy Graham to tell him what to do. Playing alongside either Barr or Graham should do him some good in terms of learning off their experience.

I think we're all missing something here, and that includes the two Stevies. When you're faced with a forward with real pace, like the lad Austin yesterday, you have to nullify the threat of the long ball over the top by having your full-backs alert and ready to tuck in to cover as Paul McGinn used to do to excellent effect.

Too much is being made of the central defenders when the real issue is one of being caught square with the full backs continually bombing forward, something I felt actually hindered us yesterday with the interplay between Waters and Gibson in particular being far too elaborate on occasions.

We also need to define the midfield set-up; Routledge and Lindsay were duplicating the holding role yesterday. It's a new squad and we're still finding our way, but as long as we keep learning it will begin to gel.

I think we're all missing something here, and that includes the two Stevies. When you're faced with a forward with real pace, like the lad Austin yesterday, you have to nullify the threat of the long ball over the top by having your full-backs alert and ready to tuck in to cover as Paul McGinn used to do to excellent effect.

Too much is being made of the central defenders when the real issue is one of being caught square with the full backs continually bombing forward, something I felt actually hindered us yesterday with the interplay between Waters and Gibson in particular being far too elaborate on occasions.

We also need to define the midfield set-up; Routledge and Lindsay were duplicating the holding role yesterday. It's a new squad and we're still finding our way, but as long as we keep learning it will begin to gel.

I thought waters done excellent yesterday, getting forward putting crosses in and still getting back to put in a few good blocks and tackles. Gibson was chasing back too, I remember that especially as sometimes he looks quite lazy and hogs the line - I like this because it will help to stretch teams.

Also think the full backs need to get forward if there's two sitting midfielders playing. Cawley comes inside a lot and Taggart will be expected to provide the width on the right

Think the point about the two full backs going forward is vital. Normally you would expect one to be up and down the line while the three remaining defenders tuck in to provide cover

Yesterday however, it seemed like both taggatt and waters were well up the park, leaving us numerous times exposed one on one with Austin

Think the point about the two full backs going forward is vital. Normally you would expect one to be up and down the line while the three remaining defenders tuck in to provide cover

Yesterday however, it seemed like both taggatt and waters were well up the park, leaving us numerous times exposed one on one with Austin

Agreed, when we went forward yesterday everyone seemed to join in bar (poor pun) the two centre halfs. If our FB's are attacking then either Lindsay or Routledge should drop back further and cover them. Both are relatively quick and it should stop us being as exposed as we found ourselves at the back yesterday.

Archived