(Lots of) University Football 2015-16

HibeeJibee

Even if it was going on and was regarded as a problem I'm not sure what could be done about it anyway...? Even if the clubs with multiple adult teams were made to register each team as a separate club, they could just transfer their players 'to and fro' from game to game - except in the last months of the season - as there aren't any transfer windows outwith SPFL.

You do realize the first team squad at Stirling is basically the same Wednesdays and Saturdays (team line ups online)., bar 3 non students. so your point about how the LL team is nothing to do with the Uni league team is again rubbish, If you find out the players who played yesterday for the 2nd team,,those first year scholars i mentioned in previous post, you will notice that only a couple have played for the Uni first team in the British North University league. So to summarize these first team players your friends son was playing against yesterday are first team squad members but dont play for the University first team on Wednesdays or Saturdays bar the couple i mentioned earlier. Im sure if your friends sons team arent happy they could always call the University and im sure they would probably say the same as i have regarding the players. Anyhow he said she said and all that ...good luck to teams this weekend , weather permitting

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for a wee update.

In the British Premier North the title is Durham's (H2H applies) but Stirling should finish 2nd with its vital British Championship R1 bye and seeding.

Durham P9 22pts

Stirling P7 13pts

-----------------------

Loughborough P9 13pts

Northumbria P8 11pts

Nottingham P9 7pts

=======================

Sheff Hallam P6 -4pts (6pts deducted for scratching 2 games)

In the Scottish 1A both Heriot-Watt and Edinburgh are in a 'relegation scrap'.

Abertay P8 19pts

========================

Napier P8 16pts

Stirling 2nds P8 15pts

Strathclyde P7 7pts

Edinburgh P7 6pts

========================

Heriot-Watt P6 1pt

In the British Trophy R1 both Heriot-Watt (1-4 at home to Manchester Metropolitan) and Edinburgh (1-2 at home to Leeds) lost their ties.

Even if it was going on and was regarded as a problem I'm not sure what could be done about it anyway...? Even if the clubs with multiple adult teams were made to register each team as a separate club, they could just transfer their players 'to and fro' from game to game - except in the last months of the season - as there aren't any transfer windows outwith SPFL.

There is something the SFA could and should do about it. Players who are sent off and suspended should serve their suspension at the level the offence as committed. At the moment there is nothing preventing a Stirling Uni player crippling someone, serving their suspension in a fifth team reserve match, coming back the next week, crippling someone else,and so on and so on.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Time for another update.

Stirling has finished a creditable runner-up in British Premier North, just unable to catch Durham; they will (I think) enter the British Championship Cup with a R2 tie at home to Cardiff Metropolitan or Sheffield Hallam - though it has quite an involved system of deciding who plays who, so that might be wrong.

Durham 10 22pts

Stirling 9 17pts

------------------------

Loughborough 10 16pts

Northumbria 9 12pts

Nottingham 10 7pts

=======================

Sheff Hallam 10 -4pts (6pts deducted for scratching 2 games)

In the Scottish 1A it's going to be an incredible finish on Wednesday with Abertay, Napier and Stirling 2nds all able to win the title (although none of them play each other). Heriot-Watt need to beat Abertay, hope Strathclyde lose to Napier, then beat Strathclyde by 3 goals to stay up...

Abertay 9 19pts

========================

Napier 9 19pts

Stirling 2nds 9 18pts

Edinburgh 9 12pts

Strathclyde 8 7pts

========================

Heriot-Watt 8 1pt

It's sad to see how badly the historic universities of Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews are doing these days.

In the Queen's Park Shield R1 last week results - including 'shockers' for Edinburgh Uni and Abertay - were:

Robert Gordon's 2-5 Stirling

Glasgow 4-0 Glasgow Caledonian

St Andrews 5-1 Aberdeen

Dundee-Angus College 4-0 Abertay

Kelvin College 4-3 Edinburgh

Dundee 0-2 Strathclyde

Napier 0-1 Telford College

Paisley 3-4 Heriot-Watt

QF ties (early March) are:

Stirling v Glasgow

St Andrews v Dundee-Angus College

Kelvin College v Strathclyde

Telford College v Heriot-Watt

British Trophy R2 tie (mid-February) is:

Stirling 2nds v Nottingham Trent

For the third time this season Sheffied Hallam failed to raise a team, forfeiting 3pts to Stirling.

Abertay beat Heriot-Watt 2-1, winning the Scottish 1A title and relegating HW.

Looking at Scottish 2A it's still a 4-way fight between St Andrews, Glasgow, RGU and Dundee.

Anyone know if Abertay will enter playoffs for promotion to Premier North? Edinburgh didn't previously.

To turn this thread into something relevant for this Lowland League section of the forum :

The SFA refs' appointments sheet is listing (and has been for quite a while) the Lowland League fixture University of Stirling v Edinburgh University which is due tomorrow (Wednesday 17th Feb) as being at Gannochy.

Really? Or just an error on the sheet? "SFA makes mistake" shock horror - surely not ! :o

Stirling Albion aren't Home, so no clash.

Or does this imply that Albion have withdrawn the use of Forthbank, perhaps not wanting Lowland League fitba damaging the pitch in this weather?

To turn this thread into something relevant for this Lowland League section of the forum :

The SFA refs' appointments sheet is listing (and has been for quite a while) the Lowland League fixture University of Stirling v Edinburgh University which is due tomorrow (Wednesday 17th Feb) as being at Gannochy.

Really? Or just an error on the sheet? "SFA makes mistake" shock horror - surely not ! :o

Stirling Albion aren't Home, so no clash.

Or does this imply that Albion have withdrawn the use of Forthbank, perhaps not wanting Lowland League fitba damaging the pitch in this weather?

Would have thought it would be at Forthbank but not sure ... if you are that bothered I'd phone them up.

I'm sure it will just be a mistake on the SFA sheet... Stirling have always played Lowland League, Scottish Cup plus Lowland League Cup ties down at Forthbank - and Gannochy isn't licensed.

As I recall, they play South Challenge Cup and EOS Qualifying Cup ties at Gannochy, due to a loophole which enables them to register that ground as their home for those competitions. It is also used by their reserve team in the EOS League, EOS Qualifying League, EOS League Cup and King Cup.

EDIT: It wouldn't be up to Stirling Albion to "withdraw the use of Forthbank" anyway as they don't own it? Stirlingshire Council (or whatever their leisure trust is called) own it, IIRC, and both clubs lease from them.

I’m sure Stirling University have to use Forthbank for all Lowland League competitions but can use Gannochy for any other competitions including EOS cups, I may be wrong of course.

Aye, that was my understanding too, and is why I picked up on the SFA Refs' sheet showing a Lowland League game at Gannochy as being something unusual.

Stilring University FC's facebook page now has a 'poster' for the game, which confirms at Forthbank. So as all suspected, it was a mistake on the SFA's Refs' sheet.

Archived