Films that deserve a remake

killienick

All of which reminds me; between characters like Connor MacLeod (of the clan MacLeod), William Wallace, Rowdy Roddy Piper, and Scotty from Star Trek, is there another country who has more iconic characters associated with them that are played by foreigners? :lol:

You missed out Fat b*****d from Austin Powers, Groundskeeper Willie and the greenkeeper from Caddyshack.

I think Germany must have the most though. How many fiendish German characters have popped up in war films etc?

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

You missed out Fat b*****d from Austin Powers, Groundskeeper Willie and the greenkeeper from Caddyshack.

I think Germany must have the most though. How many fiendish German characters have popped up in war films etc?

Aye, but how many of the ones played by faux-Germans can you name, though? I'd imagine if you asked foreigners (especially Americans) for a list of famous Scottish characters, a good half at least would be played by foreigners. Seems a fairly odd state of affairs; I doubt you'd find the same thing for English characters. Maybe for the Irish; the Americans do love a good fake Irish accent, begorrah :P

Aye, but how many of the ones played by faux-Germans can you name, though? I'd imagine if you asked foreigners (especially Americans) for a list of famous Scottish characters, a good half at least would be played by foreigners. Seems a fairly odd state of affairs; I doubt you'd find the same thing for English characters. Maybe for the Irish; the Americans do love a good fake Irish accent, begorrah :P

Typical Sean Connery role IMO

I'd have gone for The Running Man as well, the story in the book is excellent but as was said they'd need to change the ending.

Other than that any film thats been made of War of the Worlds hasn't been even close to the book. If they could remake it set in Victorian times, around London like the book then i think it could be great. Watching the remakes where there's technology available to the people takes away from the storyline of the book..

I'd have gone for The Running Man as well, the story in the book is excellent but as was said they'd need to change the ending.

Other than that any film thats been made of War of the Worlds hasn't been even close to the book. If they could remake it set in Victorian times, around London like the book then i think it could be great. Watching the remakes where there's technology available to the people takes away from the storyline of the book..

I've always thought the same about the War of the Worlds; was pretty annoyed that Spielberg decided to make his version a present-day one too. Didn't help that it wasn't as good as the Fifties version either...or the musical...or the Thirties radio play...I doubt we'll see a decent adaption set in the 19th Century now. It's one of those stories that everyone seems to think needs updating, for some reason.

The TV show was hilarious, though :P

Because I'd prefer Todd McFarlane never to make another penny in his life?

Good artist. Shameless money grabbing cretin though.

Edit: Love the avatar. Death's Head is the comic that got me into comics :)

Edited by killienick

Aye, but how many of the ones played by faux-Germans can you name, though?

Donald Pleasance had Michael Caine in The Eagle has Landed, Anthony Quayle as the South African\German in Ice Cold in Alex, Bruno Ganz in Downfall, Tom Cruise in Valkyrie, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes in Schindlers List etc

Memphis Belle??

Heh, there's a great story behind the crew William Wyler put together to make the 1943 film about the Memphis Belle.

Donald Pleasance had Michael Caine in The Eagle has Landed, Anthony Quayle as the South African\German in Ice Cold in Alex, Bruno Ganz in Downfall, Tom Cruise in Valkyrie, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes in Schindlers List etc

Probably the most famous, (for me anyway), Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber.

Cheers buddy!

Marvel have just teased a new Death's head series at the San Diego Comicon!

They kind of messed with Death's Head a bit too much for me. I was talking with Dan Slott about smaller characters at LFCC a couple of weeks ago and he said they are bringing some back. I said Death's Head - he said The Prowler!!!

They kind of messed with Death's Head a bit too much for me. I was talking with Dan Slott about smaller characters at LFCC a couple of weeks ago and he said they are bringing some back. I said Death's Head - he said The Prowler!!!

haha, wonder if there was a clamour for that.

Agree on the messing with DH, but the new series will apparently be about the original incarnation, not the derivative 1990s DHII remake.

Pic from comicon:

Deaths-Head-Volume-1_zps6zqkbzoh.jpg
Various incarnations of the original Death's head have recently been in Iron Man, X-Men and Spider-Man, so I'm hopeful it'll be alright.
I'd apologise for the digression in the thread. But won't.

He has done a few Irish roles, hasn't he? :lol:

The Americans tend to get us a bit confused, I've noticed.

Won an oscar for his role in the Untouchables as an irish-american officer ha.

Only connery can get away with having the same accent in every film and play multiple nationalities.

American, Irish, Russian, Spanish, English at least

Incidentally has he ever played an actual Scotsman? I seem to remember some clan film but nothing else.