Films that deserve a remake

killienick

The sooner that lazy film makers decide to stop focussing on remakes or turning comics / TV programmes into films, and instead try and produce something original themselves, the better imo. I understand that it's all a business of course, so doubt that'll happen any time soon. :(

Dune is a good shout. It hasn't aged well tbh.

Untouchables was a belter of a movie. I'd be happy with a remake of that as long as they didn't f**k it up and put some bint like Jennifer Lawrence in it.

there's enough bloody remakes as it is.

The sooner that lazy film makers decide to stop focussing on remakes or turning comics / TV programmes into films, and instead try and produce something original themselves, the better imo. I understand that it's all a business of course, so doubt that'll happen any time soon. :(

I would normally agree, but there are some remakes that are better than the original. Scarface, Munich and The Beat That My Heart Skipped are three that spring to mind.

Stephen King - The Stand. Haven't seen the film from the '90s but heard it was poor. However, the book should be a decent film.

It was a mini-series, and it was no that bad, but it is a fabulous book, plenty in it for a more than decent movie

While it is in it's own way a classic, Highlander is reportedly getting the remake treatment. I'm looking forward to that one. Some of the effects were poor at the time and even more dated now.

While it is in it's own way a classic, Highlander is reportedly getting the remake treatment. I'm looking forward to that one. Some of the effects were poor at the time and even more dated now.

It's bound to be keich. If you take out the Queen soundtrack and kitsch factor, you're basically left with something like...well, Highlander 3. They're bound to go down the dark, gritty route, which will make the whole thing dull as ditchwater. Also, no Connery or Clancy Brown :o

They've also been discussing it for donkeys' years, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

All of which reminds me; between characters like Connor MacLeod (of the clan MacLeod), William Wallace, Rowdy Roddy Piper, and Scotty from Star Trek, is there another country who has more iconic characters associated with them that are played by foreigners? :lol:

It's bound to be keich. If you take out the Queen soundtrack and kitsch factor, you're basically left with something like...well, Highlander 3. They're bound to go down the dark, gritty route, which will make the whole thing dull as ditchwater. Also, no Connery or Clancy Brown :o

They've also been discussing it for donkeys' years, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

All of which reminds me; between characters like Connor MacLeod (of the clan MacLeod), William Wallace, Rowdy Roddy Piper, and Scotty from Star Trek, is there another country who has more iconic characters associated with them that are played by foreigners? :lol:

Which Scottish actor could take on the role of Connor McLeod? First in line would possibly be Kevin McKidd. Or perhaps Gerard Butler?

Whoever it is he'll be up against Dave Bautista who has been confirmed as The Kurgan.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/highlander/34078/highlander-reboot-dave-bautista-to-take-on-clancy-browns-role

You forgot Rod Stewart.

You forgot Rod Stewart.

Frankly, I'm starting to wonder about Connery. And did anyone really see Ewan McGregor cutting about Perthshire back in the day? <_<

Battlefield Earth really deserves a remake. I think Michael Bay could help bring to the surface much of the character nuance that was lost in the original.

Sci-fi is my favourite film genré but this absolutely feeble story didn't deserve to be made into a film in the first place. It was produced by Scientologists, that says it all.

Hubbard was a c*nt and a c*nt of a writer to boot.

Edited by cappiecat

Barbarella.

Best suggestion so far IMO. The Rose McGowan version fell apart after she split from Robert Rodriguez, who apparently liked the idea of seeing his girlfriend exposed to the Orgasmatron.

Personally, I'd settle for the Jane Fonda orgy tapes that supposedly exist somewhere, according to the woman herself.

It all depends on how the remake is handled. Battlestar Galactica is one of the best examples of a remake that is done properly - one of the best TV shows ever made. It took the original idea and constructed something brilliant that went so far beyond that.

True Grit and The Departed are examples of great film remakes. The problem comes when it is lazy and not creative, as you say, when it's done for money without sufficient thought for the quality of what is being produced.

It's the funders, in fairness. I doubt many folk get into film making because they've always dreamed of doing a remake of Top Gun. Except Michael Bay, who doesn't seem to have ever had an original thought in his life, and is the most successful film maker of all time, which speaks volumes.