Your Team's Probable/Strongest Starting XI 2015/16

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

MacDonald

Westlake Connolly Findlay Smith

Hamill Robinson

McKenzie Higginbotham

Boyd Carrick

I'm going to disagree ever so slighty with teams mentioned before, as I expect Hamill to start the season alongside Robinson. We've really missed a player of Robinson's ilk ever since Liam Kelly ( :wub:) left the club, someone who can just clean up and recycle possession. So I'd be inclined to say Locke will want two guys sitting deep that are just going to protect the back-four, considering how attacking our front four are going to be.

If how we've played in pre-season is any indication, then we're likely to go 4-4-2, with Boyd dropping deep to link-up play and a striker going beyond him. Carrick will probably get the nod over Magennis for that role unless his chocolate hamstrings play-up again. I expected Obadeyi to start wide, but with him picking up an injury at Palmerston, McKenzie has to take his place - especially considering his fantastic return of goals this summer.

Our defence will be there to defend, and with Findlay looking like a great addition and Smith impressing too, I have no doubts that they will be more robust than last season.

I'd agree with that except i'd have Hamill nowhere near the starting 11.

Sawap him for Slater. Hamill/Robinson will get piss taken out them.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finding it difficult to guess what Hartley might play. He does like a narrow formation, and we don't have any real wingers apart from Roberts, so it's likely we'll see a narrow 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 diamond. Something like:

Bain

McGinn McPake Konrad Holt

Thomson

McGowan Low

Ross

Stewart Hemmings

Or the same 11 with Stewart and Ross playing on the left and right of Hemmings. I'd imagine Harkins will slot in for either Ross or Thomson when he's injured.

Dow as a left wing-back?

Ye gods! :eek:

Lineup/formation I would like to see given a shot, pending Dow being given some defensive training:

Agathe as a wing-back? Giggs as a central midfielder? Heggie as a centre-back? Souttar as a DM?

Stick your team up, squire!

Agathe as a wing-back? Giggs as a central midfielder? Heggie as a centre-back? Souttar as a DM?

Stick your team up, squire!

Players being able to adapt to different positions isn't in dispute. Weakening what is already a shite defence is crazy though. Dixon would clearly be a better wing back than Dow, and I have no idea why you'd want to punt McGowan out of the team.

Well at least you're coming around.

Team, go.

I admit, I have no fcuking idea.

Is Durnan better than Morris and Dillon?

Is Bodul better than Bilate and Muirhead?

Are we signing Sneijder and/or McGinn?

I'll tell you after the Watford game :P

Griffiths in reality is pretty pish, Ciftci's the far better option in terms of holding the ball up, linking play and offering a physical presence all off which Griffiths is pretty useless at.

Don't get me wrong he will get you goals and is an exceptional finisher he's just not suited to our style nor good enough for the team... Stevie May would be by far a better fit for us than Griffiths.

Griffiths in reality is pretty pish, Ciftci's the far better option in terms of holding the ball up, linking play and offering a physical presence all off which Griffiths is pretty useless at.

Don't get me wrong he will get you goals and is an exceptional finisher he's just not suited to our style nor good enough... Stevie May would be by far a better fit for us than Griffiths.

Don't get me wrong he will get you goals and is an exceptional finisher he's just not suited to our style nor good enough... Stevie May would be by far a better fit for us than Griffiths.

Griffiths was on the park less time than ciftci and managed to score a goal to the absolute surprise of no-one.

He also scored the same number as ciftci in 12 less games. A strikers main job in any system is to score goals. Not 1 team in the league would take ciftci over Griffiths.

Aberdeen fans for example generally say goodwillie is better at holding the ball and linking play than Rooney. Who would they/you rather have playing every week?

I'd agree with that except i'd have Hamill nowhere near the starting 11.

Sawap him for Slater. Hamill/Robinson will get piss taken out them.

only problem being, Slater is out for 6 - 8 weeks with a hernia

Griffiths was on the park less time than ciftci and managed to score a goal to the absolute surprise of no-one.

He also scored the same number as ciftci in 12 less games. A strikers main job in any system is to score goals. Not 1 team in the league would take ciftci over Griffiths.

Aberdeen fans for example generally say goodwillie is better at holding the ball and linking play than Rooney. Who would they/you rather have playing every week?

Mate, I don't think he was serious. Anyone in their right mind can see Griffiths is our #1 striker... hell even if he wasn't scoring for fun I'd still have him on the park for his work-rate alone. Ciftci will be a good last 20min run out man / injury replacement... we don't need another starting striker or another #10 when we have Kris Commons that's for sure.

Can't imagine what Leigh must be thinking tho... score a hat-trick and start the following game on the bench, must be going off his head thinkin' what the hell he's gotta do to catch a break at this club... he should have been our first choice striker since the day we signed him.

Mate, I don't think he was serious. Anyone in their right mind can see Griffiths is our #1 striker... hell even if he wasn't scoring for fun I'd still have him on the park for his work-rate alone. Ciftci will be a good last 20min run out man / injury replacement... we don't need another starting striker or another #10 when we have Kris Commons that's for sure.

Can't imagine what Leigh must be thinking tho... score a hat-trick and start the following game on the bench, must be going off his head thinkin' what the hell he's gotta do to catch a break at this club... he should have been our first choice striker since the day we signed him.

Tbf I just think they wanted to get games in ciftcis legs as he wont be able to play in the league. No brainer to start him against mediocre pish in Europe.

I liked our back 4 against Stjarnan

Lustig - Boyata - Virgil - Mulgrew

looks like it needs some tightening but I think this could be a great combo for us.

The problem, as it has been for ages now, is at left-back. I don't mind Mulgrew playing there occasionally, but (despite how he played against Croatia when we beat them at Hampden) I wouldn't trust him to play there regularly against stronger opposition, though I wouldn't be too upset if he plays at centre-back (if/when VVD leaves) alongside Boyata. I don't particularly trust Izzy either, mind, and think he'd maybe benefit from a more advanced role on the left, but over the piece I think he's the better LB option for now.

As for the rest of the team, Gordon as first-choice keeper is a no-brainer.

If/when Lustig is crocked I'd like to see Fisher get a run in the team, though I admit I've seen nothing of Janko. Efe, of course, gives me the fucking fear anywhere he plays, though especially at CB. I'd probably prefer O'Connell to get a run out rather than Ambrose, if he isn't loaned out. I pretty much agree with your choices at the back, but aye, we do lack depth there, outwith right-back.

We really struggle without Brown in the side, so again his selection is a no-brainer. Bitton is looking a bit of a player now, and is starting to chip in with the odd goal here and there, so again he's a nailed-on starter for me at the moment, and Mulgrew is a capable backup.

Behind the striker we have a fair few options now, though Johansen is easily our best player here. I think this will be a crucial season for Stuart Armstrong as well, and I reckon he'll deliver big time. Mackay-Steven will also, I think, have an excellent season if A. he stays fit and B. Deila realises Forrest isn't actually very good.

In saying all that, Commons will still have a big part to play next season, though I'd prefer him to be more of an impact sub, so that we can properly replace him in terms of creativity and goals in the long-term, rather than struggling when he eventually leaves.

I think that as he's unlikely to get much game time this season barring injury/suspension, I'd like to see McGregor loaned out again, along with Henderson, they both look to have a bright future. Not sure whether we should look to loan or punt McGeough, or just keep him this season as backup.

Griffiths is still easily our best option up front, with Ciftci a capable deputy. Commons could still be very handy here as well. We should probably look to cut our losses with Scepovic and punt Stokes as well.

So my 11 would be

GK: Gordon

RB: Lustig

CB: VVD (or Mulgrew, if he's sold)

CB: Boyata

LB: Izzy

CM: Brown

CM: Bitton

AM: GMS

AM: Armstrong

AM: Johansen

STR: Griffiths

Subs

Bailly (GK)

Mulgrew

Fisher

Commons

Forrest

Ciftci

Scepovic

The problem, as it has been for ages now, is at left-back. I don't mind Mulgrew playing there occasionally, but (despite how he played against Croatia when we beat them at Hampden) I wouldn't trust him to play there regularly against stronger opposition, though I wouldn't be too upset if he plays at centre-back (if/when VVD leaves) alongside Boyata. I don't particularly trust Izzy either, mind, and think he'd maybe benefit from a more advanced role on the left, but over the piece I think he's the better LB option for now.

As for the rest of the team, Gordon as first-choice keeper is a no-brainer.

If/when Lustig is crocked I'd like to see Fisher get a run in the team, though I admit I've seen nothing of Janko. Efe, of course, gives me the fucking fear anywhere he plays, though especially at CB. I'd probably prefer O'Connell to get a run out rather than Ambrose, if he isn't loaned out. I pretty much agree with your choices at the back, but aye, we do lack depth there, outwith right-back.

We really struggle without Brown in the side, so again his selection is a no-brainer. Bitton is looking a bit of a player now, and is starting to chip in with the odd goal here and there, so again he's a nailed-on starter for me at the moment, and Mulgrew is a capable backup.

Behind the striker we have a fair few options now, though Johansen is easily our best player here. I think this will be a crucial season for Stuart Armstrong as well, and I reckon he'll deliver big time. Mackay-Steven will also, I think, have an excellent season if A. he stays fit and B. Deila realises Forrest isn't actually very good.

In saying all that, Commons will still have a big part to play next season, though I'd prefer him to be more of an impact sub, so that we can properly replace him in terms of creativity and goals in the long-term, rather than struggling when he eventually leaves.

I think that as he's unlikely to get much game time this season barring injury/suspension, I'd like to see McGregor loaned out again, along with Henderson, they both look to have a bright future. Not sure whether we should look to loan or punt McGeough, or just keep him this season as backup.

Griffiths is still easily our best option up front, with Ciftci a capable deputy. Commons could still be very handy here as well. We should probably look to cut our losses with Scepovic and punt Stokes as well.

So my 11 would be

GK: Gordon

RB: Lustig

CB: VVD (or Mulgrew, if he's sold)

CB: Boyata

LB: Izzy

CM: Brown

CM: Bitton

AM: GMS

AM: Armstrong

AM: Johansen

STR: Griffiths

Subs

Bailly (GK)

Mulgrew

Fisher

Commons

Forrest

Ciftci

Scepovic

I think you'll be in luck mate, I believe you're starting 11 will be to the same thinking as Ronny's... only question mark will be whether he sees sense or not and gives Griffiths the nod over Ciftci.

I too think we need to cut our losses with Scepovic, time to sell him for sure. I also agree on Stokes, I love stoksey but he's just had no luck now for too long. I like the guy tho and would love to see him getting a run for another Scottish club, Hibees preferably but a starting run anywhere would be nice.

I haven't been sold on McGregor yet, McGeogh impressed me at Hibs, wouldn't mind if he did another spell there, he has a great work-rate and real pace.

Henderson is a player, I think he's ready to be a regular 1st team sub for us, he's got great vision, reads the game so well for a youngster and has some good skills too, if we hold onto him he'll be a star for us I'm sure of it.

James Forrest is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is but i'd still rather have him on our bench than in anyone else's squad.

Loy on the bench?

Yeah I think Hemmings will be first choice. The only way I can see Loy starting is if we play Stewart in the hole with Loy and Hemmings up top. In a 4-2-3-1 I think Hemmings will always start as the one up top.

----------------------------Macdonald---------------------

------Westlake--- Connolly----Findlay---- Smith------

------------------Hammil------Robinson------------

-----Higgy --------------------------------------- Obadeyi----

----------------------Carrick-------------------------

------------------------------Boyd-------------------

Archived