James McClean

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty disheartening to see so many people who'd just shut up and get on with it, even if they were against it.

The only people calling him attention seeking seem to be the ones that are so oddly wound up by it.

He's turned and bowed his head. He couldn't possibly be any more discreet about it. He clearly has a deep rooted reason behind his beliefs and I say good on him for being brave enough to stand by them.

Things like this always bring out the chin dribbling perma-ragers. It's funny just how easily set off some people can be.

I think it's worth remembering McLean is a total thicko. If he wasn't earning thousands of pounds a week as a footballer he'd be wandering around in a tracksuit getting raging about flags and 'them' and stuff like many others in N.I, and I doubt he'd be any less happy than he is now TBH.

I think it's worth remembering McLean is a total thicko. If he wasn't earning thousands of pounds a week as a footballer he'd be wandering around in a tracksuit getting raging about flags and 'them' and stuff like many others in N.I, and I doubt he'd be any less happy than he is now TBH.

You know him well aye?

So......much flak coming my way over a fairly simple question. At what point do we, or more importantly West Brom and especially Tony Pulis, make the inevitable decision that one man's baggage isn't the main attraction?? I'm absolutely amazed that he's carved out a career thus far, and had well-respected men treating him with kid gloves. What exactly are people afraid of about this rocket?? He's had a succesful (£££) career without the necessity to feature in powderkeg do-or-die matches. At least Oleguer could write a column or two about HIS convictions.......its not really the lad at fault here, football's littered with dickheads who get away with murder, but i very much doubt you'd catch Ivanovic or Matic acting the c**t away to Zagreb in the CL or Llorente shouting his mouth off about Basque independence if his move to Real comes off.

So......much flak coming my way over a fairly simple question. At what point do we, or more importantly West Brom and especially Tony Pulis, make the inevitable decision that one man's baggage isn't the main attraction?? I'm absolutely amazed that he's carved out a career thus far, and had well-respected men treating him with kid gloves. What exactly are people afraid of about this rocket?? He's had a succesful (£££) career without the necessity to feature in powderkeg do-or-die matches. At least Oleguer could write a column or two about HIS convictions.......its not really the lad at fault here, football's littered with dickheads who get away with murder, but i very much doubt you'd catch Ivanovic or Matic acting the c**t away to Zagreb in the CL or Llorente shouting his mouth off about Basque independence if his move to Real comes off.

What on earth are you on about?

The 'authorities' wade in to just about every situation with the remotest political inkling regardless of right or wrong doing. I said that, fairly clearly. f**k sake, Guardiola got a fucking summons for wearing a t-shirt with the name of a respected journo who had shadowed Messi before meeting a suspicious end last year in Rio. Imo the place to honour the dead, unless directly involved via the club or the sport, is not a football ground, as they are generally full of arseholes and each with their own opinion. But its the best-attended continuous event in the country, and so is open to exploitation with things such as Remembrance Sunday and tributes to public figures. How did the Cuban players observe the Star Spangled Banner last week, out of interest?? Did they throw hissy-fits about sixty years of blockades, or embrace the opportunity to show the b*****ds that they're still around and participate in a force for good??? Its not difficult, really its not.

Eh, no deflection thanks, your initial statement and my question had absolutely nothing to do with "right or wrongdoing", "Guardiola" or "Cubans", you stated explicitly that the authorities are against any kind of political showing whatsoever. Quite clearly bullshit as there's a massive deal made out of clubs wearing (or opting out of wearing) poppies on their strip. So really, the actual point is that politics in football is fine, as long as it connects with the right wing mainstream media and the mouth breathing imbeciles that follow it, but if it doesn't circulate with them, well it's a damn disgrace and should be outlawed!

This 'situation' shouldn't be a situation at all, it was just a young boy (silently and peacefully) not involving himself in something he didn't agree with, but morons who vote for UKIP and read the Sun or the Mail have decided that unless you #respect "are brave boiz fightin 4 are freedums" then you're a 'scumbag' or a 'bigot' and "shud get out ov are cuntry". All for free speech and freedom, unless it goes against their own bigoted opinions.

I'd love to know how standing for a foreign national anthem (in his eyes) is part of his job and helps makes winning football matches his priority?

It's not exactly foreign though is it? He was born, brought up and raised in Northern Ireland, he even played seven times for the U21 side!

I wonder if he stood and paid the proper respects on those occasions, and if so, what's changed?

This 'situation' shouldn't be a situation at all, it was just a young boy (silently and peacefully) not involving himself in something he didn't agree with, but morons who vote for UKIP and read the Sun or the Mail have decided that unless you #respect "are brave boiz fightin 4 are freedums" then you're a 'scumbag' or a 'bigot' and "shud get out ov are cuntry". All for free speech and freedom, unless it goes against their own bigoted opinions.

You're going to have to point out on the thread champ where people are saying such things if that's alright?

I just reckon he's gone out his way to be deliberately disrespect and insulting for no clear reason, he's played in plenty games where this has happened before hand and barely blinked an eyelid, I'm just struggling to see why he's done it.

It's going nothing to do with the army or those employed within it, he's made his feelings clear on that and fair play to him, his reasoning is sound and he's more than entitled to not wear the poppy, if he's got to the stage though where he's linking the whole of Britain and everything in it(Union Flag, GSTQ etc) to Bloody Sunday then I don't know why he's still bothering to work here when his feelings are apparently so strong. If I detested a country so much so(For the avoidance of doubt I don't, it seems a bit ridiculous to hold a grudge over a whole country) I certainly wouldn't be working in it, paying my taxes towards it's government and all that comes with it.

*Typed while munching lego, reading the daily mail and playing some GSTQ over the background*

You want me to point out where in this thread someone has intimated that he shouldn't live or work in Britain anymore, or question why he does?

Try the third paragraph below, "champ"!

You're going to have to point out on the thread champ where people are saying such things if that's alright?

I just reckon he's gone out his way to be deliberately disrespect and insulting for no clear reason, he's played in plenty games where this has happened before hand and barely blinked an eyelid, I'm just struggling to see why he's done it.

It's going nothing to do with the army or those employed within it, he's made his feelings clear on that and fair play to him, his reasoning is sound and he's more than entitled to not wear the poppy, if he's got to the stage though where he's linking the whole of Britain and everything in it(Union Flag, GSTQ etc) to Bloody Sunday then I don't know why he's still bothering to work here when his feelings are apparently so strong. If I detested a country so much so(For the avoidance of doubt I don't, it seems a bit ridiculous to hold a grudge over a whole country) I certainly wouldn't be working in it, paying my taxes towards it's government and all that comes with it.

*Typed while munching lego, reading the daily mail and playing some GSTQ over the background*

I'm said this about twenty times on here but I didn't actually 'drink' the puddle, I'd just been sick so I was using the water to clean out my mouth and it must've looked like I was drinking out of it.

Whenever I'm sick, I usually use the water in the toilet pan to clean out my mouth.

I'm said this about twenty times on here but I didn't actually 'drink' the puddle, I'd just been sick so I was using the water to clean out my mouth and it must've looked like I was drinking out of it.

Without wanting to get too off topic, I don't know why you always come out with this explanation as if it's a totally normal thing to do. It's just as weird as actually drinking it.

Considering lichtie was likely about twenty shandies deep by that point, its not all that weird tbh. Ive seen someone try to get the taste of sick out their mouth by swallowing dog food...

Deciding not to turn and face the flag seems acceptable to me. That is an omission to engage with the anthem. Bowing his head like an apologetic Chinaman is a bit OTT - if he demands respect for his beliefs, give respect to other people's by letting them have their anthem without protesting in the middle of it. Protest afterwards. Do an interview or something. Idk...

Archived