The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

STV's football section really is overblown, laddish banter masquerading as tactical analysis.  What happened to the days of match reports and interviews?  Now we have that halfwit Ruthenven banging on about wine gums.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jonathan Wilson has a lot to answer for.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

STV's football section really is overblown, laddish banter masquerading as tactical analysis.  What happened to the days of match reports and interviews?  Now we have that halfwit Ruthenven banging on about wine gums.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jonathan Wilson has a lot to answer for.

I've noticed the BBC match reports are all over the place these days. They don't seem to be doing reports that actually follow what happens during a game but instead break it down into subsections and then pick out moments from a match that fit under these subsections.

1 minute ago, RiG said:

I've noticed the BBC match reports are all over the place these days. They don't seem to be doing reports that actually follow what happens during a game but instead break it down into subsections and then pick out moments from a match that fit under these subsections.

Yup.  Half of the match reports are almost unreadable.  

I'm glad they pointed that out tbf There are so many Lescotts out there that I may have thought it was the former Everton defender, the ex-England internationalist or the former Aston Villa captain that they were talking about. 

Edited by Salvo Montalbano
Phone added a butchers' apostrophe for some reason

I'm glad they pointed that out tbf There are so many Lescotts out there that I may have thought it was the former Everton defender, the ex-England internationalist or the former Aston Villa captain that they were talking about. 

I notice this piece of 'news' has barely registered in England where, you know, he actually played for years.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I notice this piece of 'news' has barely registered in England where, you know, he actually played for years.

Indeed. Hardly worthy of a mention in the main website but it has to have it's own feature in the Rangers Int AGM Special website they set up BBC 'Scotland' site.

Looks like the BBC can't even be arsed to show a live "as it stands" table in Scotland anymore.

Add that into the fact they no longer do match reports for the bottom two divisions, and its all becoming a bit of a fucking joke.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Looks like the BBC can't even be arsed to show a live "as it stands" table in Scotland anymore.

Add that into the fact they no longer do match reports for the bottom two divisions, and its all becoming a bit of a fucking joke.

They do, I was looking at it earlier. 

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

They do, I was looking at it earlier. 

I had the "Scottish football live" section up, and you usually get the table by the side, couldn't see it this time.

Don't know if it was visible on mobile though.

I've found that the tables can be different depending on which page you're on which is quite remarkable considering it would obviously be easier to just replicate the same one. I don't suppose whichever Oxbridge intern that set it up would have actually studied anything as lowly as computers though.

The bbc online report on the Hearts v Motherwell game has Motherwell coming off back to back wins and having no shots on target even though 3 of the 4 goal line clearances are covered in the report.  Maybe 3 headers and a chip do not count as shots?