The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Found the Ferguson thing completely unnecessary and baffling but I do still really like the both of them. Not sure why the Beeb seem so keen to do peices like the above though.

Not sure why? Really? It's rather obvious

33 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Horrendous. What utter morons.Ferguson is really being pushed just now. The old boys network have obviously decided that it's time he got a "bigger" job.

I don't feel like I mind Barry (although there's plenty of time for him to confirm my doubts and say something bigoted) but this is obviously what is happening.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-should-buy-over-9258820

Here's another cracker – this time featuring Alex Smith, who is bafflingly referred to as 'Scottish football's godfather' (God help us all if that's true).

somebody only half listening heard Alex and auto completed to Ferguson instead of Smith.

9 hours ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-should-buy-over-9258820

Here's another cracker – this time featuring Alex Smith, who is bafflingly referred to as 'Scottish football's godfather' (God help us all if that's true).

The key point here is and if someone could possibly explain this to me...

Why is it always expected that only the rangers and celtic will be granted the privilege of being allowed to field colt teams?

50 minutes ago, jessmagic said:

Why is it always expected that only the rangers and celtic will be granted the privilege of being allowed to field colt teams?

The answer to everfink is mair cetlics / no enuff rainjurrrs

1 hour ago, jessmagic said:

It's been mentioned elsewhere but surely if you want the best young Scottish players coming through surely you would want the best 'Colt' teams in the league. Rangers development squad finished something like 4th bottom last season i.e. their youth players are shite. F'ck knows why, as you say, it should be Rangers and Celtic getting in. On current form it should be Ross County and Hamilton getting to stick their development teams in as colt sides based on the current development league table* as they are much, much better than Rangers.

*Although I haven't checked it for a couple of weeks.

15 minutes ago, RiG said:

It's been mentioned elsewhere but surely if you want the best young Scottish players coming through surely you would want the best 'Colt' teams in the league. Rangers development squad finished something like 4th bottom last season i.e. their youth players are shite. F'ck knows why, as you say, it should be Rangers and Celtic getting in. On current form it should be Ross County and Hamilton getting to stick their development teams in as colt sides based on the current development league table* as they are much, much better than Rangers.

*Although I haven't checked it for a couple of weeks.

Good point. 

I'm far from convinced about the merits of colt teams but surely if this ever goes ahead it should be based purely on sporting merit not the size of supporter base, number of pages of meeja coverage each day, number of statements released, number of outrages on twitter, number of people on "the list" etc. etc. etc. etc. 

Edited by jessmagic

2 hours ago, StandFree03 said:

Again, how on earth are Rangers going to buy a club and the ground etc when they are surviving on loans?

Its genuinely one of the most moronic articles I've ever read. The notion that 52,000 fans sold want to go watch a youth team on the weekend they're not Celtic park is hilarious. Given that half of them aren't actually bothering to turn up to Celtic park on matchdays anyway pretty much blows that ridiculous idea out of the water.

Also the small matter of the fans who don't want their club raped by one of the OF just so they can play their youth team in the lower leagues. The ignorance and sheer arrogance is abhorrent, just because the likes of Airdrie or Clyde are small clubs with relatively few supporters doesn't mean they should be treated as non-entities and assume they'd love to become OF colt teams.

It really is a disgrace that people like smith are in the positions they are yet hold Scottish football in such contempt.

ETA: did smith suggest that Celtic should buy Sevco in the third division a few years ago? New club, no money and could house all the fans who aren't at Celtic park when Celtic are playing away? Seems a more plausible idea than buying airdrie and expecting all the fans to fit in there.

Celtic have the 3rd highest average attendance in Britain you bitter wee troll :lol:

1. Manchester United (75,263), 
  2. Arsenal (59,950), 
  3. Celtic (55,590), 
  4. Manchester City (54,316), 
  5. West Ham United (53,598),
  6. Liverpool (53,027), 
  7. Newcastle United (50,087), 
  8. Rangers (48,554), 
  9. Sunderland (41,791), 
10. Chelsea (41,374), 
11. Everton (38,963), 
12. Tottenham Hotspur (33,692),
13. Aston Villa (31,860), 
14. Leicester City (31,816), 
15. Middlesbrough (30,540), 
16. Southampton (30,276), 
17. Derby County (28,859), 
18. Stoke City (27,285), 
19. Sheffield Wednesday (26,557)
20. Norwich City (26,211)

2 minutes ago, wulliamwallace said:

Celtic have the 3rd highest average attendance in Britain you bitter wee troll :lol:

2. Arsenal (59,950), 
  3. Celtic (55,590), 
  6. Liverpool (53,027), 
  8. Rangers (48,554), 
  9. Sunderland (41,791), 
10. Chelsea (41,374), 
11. Everton (38,963), 
18. Stoke City (27,285), 

Yes because you announce the season ticket holders whether they are there or not.

3 minutes ago, wulliamwallace said:

2. Arsenal (59,950), 
  3. Celtic (55,590), 
  6. Liverpool (53,027), 
  8. Rangers (48,554), 
  9. Sunderland (41,791), 
10. Chelsea (41,374), 
11. Everton (38,963), 
18. Stoke City (27,285), 

Celtic fan in not understanding the difference between attendance and tickets sold, shock.

Again, how on earth are Rangers going to buy a club and the ground etc when they are surviving on loans?

Its genuinely one of the most moronic articles I've ever read. The notion that 52,000 fans sold want to go watch a youth team on the weekend they're not Celtic park is hilarious. Given that half of them aren't actually bothering to turn up to Celtic park on matchdays anyway pretty much blows that ridiculous idea out of the water.

Also the small matter of the fans who don't want their club raped by one of the OF just so they can play their youth team in the lower leagues. The ignorance and sheer arrogance is abhorrent, just because the likes of Airdrie or Clyde are small clubs with relatively few supporters doesn't mean they should be treated as non-entities and assume they'd love to become OF colt teams.

It really is a disgrace that people like smith are in the positions they are yet hold Scottish football in such contempt.

ETA: did smith suggest that Celtic should buy Sevco in the third division a few years ago? New club, no money and could house all the fans who aren't at Celtic park when Celtic are playing away? Seems a more plausible idea than buying airdrie and expecting all the fans to fit in there.

I know you're saying relatively few supporters but we're still big within the community, we average 600-800 depending on where we are but there's still a big presence in the town, and the town does get behind the team when the big games come along, same for Clyde and Airdrie. Small in comparison to Aberdeen etc aye but still big things within each local community. The rest of your point is spot on by the way but just pointing that out. Horrible suggestion from a complete bawbag.

1 hour ago, wulliamwallace said:

2. Arsenal (59,950), 
  3. Celtic (55,590), 
  6. Liverpool (53,027), 
  8. Rangers (48,554), 
  9. Sunderland (41,791), 
10. Chelsea (41,374), 
11. Everton (38,963), 
18. Stoke City (27,285), 

raw.gif

18 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I said this to my mate in work! Why do England have so many BBC radio stations whilst we just have Scotland? Or am I wrong saying that?

There are regional stations during certain parts of the day... We have BBC Radio Tweed down here, and I'm sure the "alternative" FM coverage of Aberdeen or Inverness games on a Saturday afternoon are on an equivalent up north.

Plenty regional stations in England will be covering X million people anyway, like Radio Scotland.

In terms of discussion over the last few pages regarding 'B' team attendances and the standard of Rangers U20s, just to reiterate:

* Rangers U20s finished 13th out of 17 last season, and are currently 16th out of 17

* average attendances for Rangers 'B' and Celtic 'B' in Irn Bru Cup were 539. Lowest was 216 (Celtic 'B' v Annan); highest was 1,214 (Livi v Celtic 'B')

So rather less than 52,000 - in fact about 1% of that - and rather far from being the second best U20s in the country.

Also worth recalling all those Irn Bru Cup games were played on days when the first-team didn't have a game. Which would be the case in the league.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Love how the diddy's are raging :lol: 

These aren't my figures, they are coming from media outlets running the same story and from what i've saw this season we are filling up our stadium. I think maybe the Alloa game is the only one where the attendance was lower than usual.

Hearing rumours the bottle merchants cant even sell out their cup final tickets and that we will be getting the remainder ?