The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

It's a lack of professional standards, and a lack of oversight from above (although that may be due to tightening budgets).

Another thing that annoys me is pundits or commentators who don't even bother to find out the players names. "This right back for St Mirren has had a great game". "Ginger boy for Hamilton is having a hard time of it". Amateur stuff.

Presumably Richard Wilson's preview.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33737902

If he's got some predicted line-ups wrong, should be noted it was one guy trying to predict 12 teams, rather than the whole of the BBC sport department doing it.

It's still whoever is in charge of the BBC Sport department's fault for letting someone like Wilson write that article, given that he quite blatantly doesn't care about nor have a clue about 40 of the teams in the SPFL.

Saw Provan using any excuse to get stuck into the Dons fans by having a go for not turning up at Clangers testimonial. It's all right Davie, don't bother with the fact that fans might have travelled to a European game and been to the Euro home games, shelling out a few more quid than normal.

Ps. How many at Parkhead for flag day. Moron.

I like how Thistle's "not so cuddly anymore" tagline for their new mascot also gets it up Chick.

Whit did the Wise Old Man of Scottish fitba have to say?

It's a lack of professional standards, and a lack of oversight from above (although that may be due to tightening budgets).

Another thing that annoys me is pundits or commentators who don't even bother to find out the players names. "This right back for St Mirren has had a great game". "Ginger boy for Hamilton is having a hard time of it". Amateur stuff.

There is next to no fact checking in media production these days. Writers 'will have to get it right first time' and togs just have to guess who's in a melee of footballers in a goalmouth.

No (captain) Abdul Osman for us either. Saw predicted lineups in a couple of papers with him excluded as well.

Often these line ups are taken from the Press Association website online. If the PA staffer can't be arsed then it cascades to all the media.

That'll be Why The The Rangers are taking a stand and banning them.

Isn't it?

Indeed. The the Rangers must be sick to the back teeth of inaccurate reporting and spurious claims that someone with Google and five minutes to spare could knock down or at the very least challenge.

They don't do fantasy, gullibility and wilful ignorance at Ibrox.

This might be worthy of a thread of its own, but what has happened to match highlights?

Of the ones on the BBC site:

Celtic v Ross County

Dundee United v Aberdeen

Hearts v St Johnstone

They all have five mins of highlights. The United game has some retro graphics, which I presume is to tie in with the 40 year anniversary of Sportscene.

The other three fixtures are truncated. The Hamilton highlights don't last two minutes and a huge section is of fans clapping (without even showing the trouble!). Most don't have two camera angles anymore. Why aren't all the games treated equally now?

I never watch Sportscene because I think the lack of footage is terrible, but I could at least check the website for five mins of highlights, for a week before the licence expires.

But what about the SPFL YouTube channel? That doesn't have any match highlights at all, apart from the ~30s novelty videos they've done for the last couple of years. I used that channel as a priority over the BBC coverage, and would watch the Beeb's highlights after because they might show a few different clips, but now the SPFL don't have anything worth watching. What's going on?

It looks like the decent highlights coverage we used to get in the last couple of years has gone to the dogs. I'm really disappointed about that.

But what about the SPFL YouTube channel? That doesn't have any match highlights at all, apart from the ~30s novelty videos they've done for the last couple of years. I used that channel as a priority over the BBC coverage, and would watch the Beeb's highlights after because they might show a few different clips, but now the SPFL don't have anything worth watching. What's going on?

It looks like the decent highlights coverage we used to get in the last couple of years has gone to the dogs. I'm really disappointed about that.

They have all the goals in one video, and according to a twitter post, the individual match highlights should be up on a Monday morning. No sign of them yet though.

Hi @liam_barnett. A few changes to when we put stuff up. All the goals coming up at midnight & then match by match clips tomorrow morn.

Edited by s_dog

So, assuming they've just missed the boat due to technical issues, we will have to wait until Monday now to see 5 mins of highlights for some matches (because the BBC CBA mixing five mins of footage for every game)?

Ridiculous.

SPFL: "making a few changes to what we put on YouTube & when it goes up. Still covering every goal of the Prem though."

Makes me think they won't be doing their usual full highlights...