The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Scott McTominay to Rangers transfer 'makes sense' but key caveat for any Man United deal remains - Daily Record

Scott McTominay joining Rangers on loan would 'make sense' according to Craig Moore.

The Manchester United midfielder is the toast of the national after two goals in four games for Scotland. He came off the bench to bag a brace in the 3-0 win over Cyprus, before starting against Spain and putting them to the sword with another double to ensure a famous victory for Steve Clarke’s side.

He has struggled to become a first team regular at Old Trafford under Erik ten Hag, however. He’ll have seen Billy Gilmour fall out of the picture and as a result, for Scotland due to a lack of gametime and will be keen not to suffer the same fate. Newcastle have been heavily linked with a move for the 26-year-old this summer and the time may have come to move on from the Red Devils. Moore and John Hartson were discussing McTominay ’s future on the Go Radio football show, and hypothetically suggested he'd be a great fit at Ibrox.

Scott McTominay joining Rangers on loan would 'make sense' according to Craig Moore.

The Manchester United midfielder is the toast of the national after two goals in four games for Scotland. He came off the bench to bag a brace in the 3-0 win over Cyprus, before starting against Spain and putting them to the sword with another double to ensure a famous victory for Steve Clarke’s side.

He has struggled to become a first team regular at Old Trafford under Erik ten Hag, however. He’ll have seen Billy Gilmour fall out of the picture and as a result, for Scotland due to a lack of gametime and will be keen not to suffer the same fate. Newcastle have been heavily linked with a move for the 26-year-old this summer and the time may have come to move on from the Red Devils. Moore and John Hartson were discussing McTominay ’s future on the Go Radio football show, and hypothetically suggested he'd be a great fit at Ibrox.

Scotland has the sport media it deserves.

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

You honestly wouldn’t know we’d just beaten Spain.

Click on it and it really is just about the Cyprus game. Angus Gunn talking about making his debut. Been like this since Wednesday.

432DB730-0137-4AF7-9893-D349F23551E8.thumb.png.e347d590ffa6667e0b32ddedc1b869ea.png

Pretty sure you havent refreshed the app tbh

3 hours ago, RawB93 said:

You honestly wouldn’t know we’d just beaten Spain.

Click on it and it really is just about the Cyprus game. Angus Gunn talking about making his debut. Been like this since Wednesday.

432DB730-0137-4AF7-9893-D349F23551E8.thumb.png.e347d590ffa6667e0b32ddedc1b869ea.png

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Pretty sure you havent refreshed the app tbh

On the website there are a few articles about the Spain game but the main story at the top of the page, with the LIVE icon was still showing the live blog from the Cyprus game, or at least it was an hour or so ago.

On 30/03/2023 at 08:07, Granny Danger said:

Just read Tom English’s article written after Scotland’s win against Cyprus and before the Spain game.  I reckon most of the Scotland fans on P&B could have done a better job of his analysis and of his predicted line up.

Regular reminder that there are people out there who think he's good at his job.

Getting a bit sick of every media outlet incorrectly reporting that 3rd place guarantees group stage football in Europe. 

It will if either 'Rangers' or Celtic manage to win the cup but the Europa League spot is reserved for our Cup winners, not the 3rd place team in the league and I don't see any guarantee that those cup winners will be one of the top 2 in the Premiership. 

4 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Getting a bit sick of every media outlet incorrectly reporting that 3rd place guarantees group stage football in Europe. 

It will if either 'Rangers' or Celtic manage to win the cup but the Europa League spot is reserved for our Cup winners, not the 3rd place team in the league and I don't see any guarantee that those cup winners will be one of the top 2 in the Premiership. 

They should qualify it when saying so, but let's be honest - there very very nearly is such a guarantee this year.  

Nobody hates that that's the case more than me, but it is, I'm afraid, very much the case.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

An absolute classic of the genre.

It's amazing what eating highly salted digestive biscuits and drinking too much pish-laden lager will do to someone's critical faculty.

One only need look to the terrible treatment meted out to poor Tam Cowan on the Off the Ball thread to see the truth behind this.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

An absolute classic of the genre.

It's amazing what eating highly salted digestive biscuits and drinking too much pish-laden lager will do to someone's critical faculty.

John Beattie's an arsehole and daytime Radio Scotland is pure shite, but to be fair, there is a bit of truth in this. The wee fuds at the fitba are indeed wee fuds. I've definitely noticed a difference in the atmosphere around away games post-covid, and there are incidents all the time.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Have there not been scores of posts on this very website bemoaning the antics of coked up wee neds at games these days?

There certainly have. And I think fairly.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They should qualify it when saying so, but let's be honest - there very very nearly is such a guarantee this year.  

Nobody hates that that's the case more than me, but it is, I'm afraid, very much the case.

The pedant in me can't get past this. "Very very nearly" isn't a guarantee.