The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

This BBC Sport report from Amy Irons

"new Celtic signing is BLOWN AWAY by the reaction of supporters since he joined from Montreal"

"Celtic fans have stopped me in the street and told me I have signed for the biggest club in the world"

Pass me the vomit bag

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

"new Celtic signing is BLOWN AWAY by the reaction of supporters since he joined from Montreal"

"Celtic fans have stopped me in the street and told me I have signed for the biggest club in the world"

Pass me the vomit bag

England fan levels of delusion.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Pass me the vomit bag

They do love a wee pat on the head.

18 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Pass me the vomit bag

I think you or Amy are poorly paraphrasing a bit here but I cant see anything from Amy Irons tbh…

Edited by gannonball

On 10/12/2022 at 12:05, gannonball said:

image.thumb.png.07b2d6f2fff2967da0057ad78d4d7e9a.png
 Admittedly there are other variables but I’m not sure how a guy who can’t really get a regular game for a pretty dire orc team is somehow the same price as a guy who has been the top scorer in 2 different leagues the past 2 seasons…

Well, it is entirely dependant on how you spin it, isn't it?

You could go with the version you've went with, or you could go with "a guy who was instrumental in helping his team reach a European final earlier this year, has 48 international caps and was recently named their player of the year is somehow the same price as a guy who has never been a regular starter in his current side, has only 11 international caps to his name and is refusing to sign a contract extension in order to force a move away". Not to mention Kamara is also younger.

They are both pretty extreme comparisons that overlook the other variables that you mentioned.

It depends on what you'd like to emphasise to make your point.

Edited by AJF

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

Well, it is entirely dependant on how you spin it, isn't it?

You could go with the version you've went with, or you could go with "a guy who was instrumental in helping his team reach a European final earlier this year, has 48 international caps and was recently named their player of the year is somehow the same price as a guy who has never been a regular starter in his current side, has only 11 international caps to his name and is refusing to sign a contract extension in order to force a move away". Not to mention Kamara is also younger.

They are both pretty extreme comparisons that overlook the other variables that you mentioned.

It depends on what you'd like to emphasise to make your point.

How good somebody was 6 months ago doesn’t really reflect their current value if they struggle to get in to a poor team and if anything shows his own inconsistencies and limitations. The age between them is what a year and GG is also on a long term deal and plays in position that generally commands more cash. Papers will always speculate amounts but I just found the snapshot a tad funny.  There is less of this nonsense though I have found since an incredibly obese relations person left Rangers…

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

How good somebody was 6 months ago doesn’t really reflect their current value if they struggle to get in to a poor team and if anything shows his own inconsistencies and limitations. The age between them is what a year and GG is also on a long term deal and plays in position that generally commands more cash. Papers will always speculate amounts but I just found the snapshot a tad funny.  There is less of this nonsense though I have found since an incredibly obese relations person left Rangers…

I don't really disagree to be fair. And I wasn't saying that each player should be valued at £6m, I was more getting at the fact you focused solely on the negatives and overlooked the positives when commenting on Kamara but focused solely on the positives and overlooked the negatives when commenting on Giakoumakis.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:05, gannonball said:

image.thumb.png.07b2d6f2fff2967da0057ad78d4d7e9a.png
 Admittedly there are other variables but I’m not sure how a guy who can’t really get a regular game for a pretty dire orc team is somehow the same price as a guy who has been the top scorer in 2 different leagues the past 2 seasons…

Example B as to why you shouldn’t take these things too seriously 

On 12/12/2022 at 18:53, Leith Green said:

Pass me the vomit bag

Listen cunty, no player ever has experienced an old film atmosphere. Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Italy etc have no rivalries that generate that level of noise or intensity.

18 hours ago, gannonball said:

I think you or Amy are poorly paraphrasing a bit here but I cant see anything from Amy Irons tbh…

It was on the tv evening news sports roundup, and looks like it came from a different interview than the one you posted.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I don't know if it's only the online version, but the Sun is going with a MASSIVE exclusive about Alfredo Morelos.

He has had a haircut. 

Wait for it - not to be usurped!  The Daily Record are running a Barry Ferguson column in which he states Rangers will be a massive success again because Mick Beale is bringing back suits and brown brogues as part of their matchday uniform.