The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

8 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I was surprised Gordon ended up with the PR job at Cove, his tongue has always so far up Hearts hoop I was convinced he was going there.

Tom English definitely sends Budge Valentines day cards. 

Jambos are pink, Rangers are blue, I'll rim your arse, don't wipe your poo. 

On 18/05/2022 at 10:34, craigkillie said:

Rangers have probably beaten better teams than Celtic did in 1967 though. Celtic's entire run to that final consisted of Zurich, Nantes, Vojvodina Novi Sad and Dukla Prague.

Aye, those teams were only champions of their country...

On 20/05/2022 at 19:47, Leith Green said:

I was surprised Gordon ended up with the PR job at Cove, his tongue has always so far up Hearts hoop I was convinced he was going there.

If you think that Richard Gordon has a “thing” for any club outside the Aberdeen Postcode, you are sadly mistaken. 

19 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, those teams were only champions of their country...

That's not actually a valid argument though. Being champions of your own country doesn't automatically make you better than every non-champion in every other country.

Rangers did actually beat the Armenian, Danish and Serbian champions in the Europa League too.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's not actually a valid argument though. Being champions of your own country doesn't automatically make you better than every non-champion in every other country.

Rangers did actually beat the Armenian, Danish and Serbian champions in the Europa League too.

Being not champions of your own country doesn't automatically make you better than champions of every other country, either.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Being not champions of your own country doesn't automatically make you better than champions of every other country, either.

Fortunately I wasn't ever arguing that at any point.

Celtic actually winning rather than losing a final in Europe makes that a better achievement. As to their opponents:

Zurich were no mugs, having reached the European Cup semis two years previously.

Nantes had won the French league for the previous two seasons under the legendary José Arribas, famed for his speedy one touch football.

Vojvodina Novi Sad had fired 6 goals past the Spanish champions Atlético Madrid, including a win at the Vincent Calderón Stadium, in the round prior to Celtic beating them. 

Duala Prague scored 15 goals in their three ties, including defeating Anderlecht and Ajax before being knocked out by Celtic. 

I've got decent recall of the tournament that season, as a year long project on a subject of 'own choice' was demanded by my school, and the European Cup was my pick at the start of the 1966 term. 

It's a bit of a circular argument to claim the quality of the European Cup was high by using performances in the European Cup to justify it. It would be like me saying League 2 must be great because Kelty Hearts won it ahead of Annan and Forfar despite both of those teams having really good seasons in League 2.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's a bit of a circular argument to claim the quality of the European Cup was high by using performances in the European Cup to justify it. It would be like me saying League 2 must be great because Kelty Hearts won it ahead of Annan and Forfar despite both of those teams having really good seasons in League 2.

Strange way to interpret the facts: Forfar and Annan fans would possibly argue their sides should have performed better in League Two, but it makes little sense trying to compare 2022's League Two in Scotland to the 1967 European Cup tournament.

The teams playing in 66-67's top European trophy had won their top domestic leagues, and most were of top quality. Dukla had won five Czechoslovak titles in a row as they entered the competition, this same Czechoslovakia which had been runners up at the Chile World Cup in the midst of that run. Dukla supplied 4 players for the final eleven.

Internazionale had won the European Cup twice in the previous three seasons.

Surely you can't be dismissing the achievements of these two clubs, drawing comparisons between Josef Masopust and Stefan McLuskey, or Giacinto Facchetti and Jordan Lowdon?

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Do I not like that ?

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Strange way to interpret the facts: Forfar and Annan fans would possibly argue their sides should have performed better in League Two, but it makes little sense trying to compare 2022's League Two in Scotland to the 1967 European Cup tournament.

The teams playing in 66-67's top European trophy had won their top domestic leagues, and most were of top quality. Dukla had won five Czechoslovak titles in a row as they entered the competition, this same Czechoslovakia which had been runners up at the Chile World Cup in the midst of that run. Dukla supplied 4 players for the final eleven.

Internazionale had won the European Cup twice in the previous three seasons.

Surely you can't be dismissing the achievements of these two clubs, drawing comparisons between Josef Masopust and Stefan McLuskey, or Giacinto Facchetti and Jordan Lowdon?

Celtic were one down after 10 mins against Inter. In those catenaccio days of Italian defending you were looking at losing 1-0 80 minutes later. They turned the game on its head and won. Some real shite being run here.

The argument is not that these were not reasonably good teams, it is that they were not necessarily the best collection of teams in Europe. Prior to Celtic winning it in 1967, the European Cup had only been won by sides from Spain, Portugal and Italy, and on a few of occasions those sides weren't even the best team in their own country.

It therefore stands to reason that if you were actually assembling all the best teams on Europe at that point, you would most likely have several clubs from these countries (similar to how European competitions are structured now). This is backed up by the fact that in the initial season of the competition, Hibs, the 5th placed team in Scotland, comfortably saw off the champions of Germany and Sweden on their way to the semis.

If we look at this a different way, would you class United's famous win over Barcelona in 1987 as a better or worse achievement than Rangers beating Alashkert this season? Only one of those two were reigning champions of a top domestic league.

I'm no fan of either of the two cheeks but some shite going on here.  Never mind the opposition what about the actual Celtic team that year?  Who would you drop to replace with a current Rangers or Celtic player?

3 hours ago, fasda2 said:

I'm no fan of either of the two cheeks but some shite going on here.  Never mind the opposition what about the actual Celtic team that year?  Who would you drop to replace with a current Rangers or Celtic player?

In my opinion, sport science, academy football, training facilities and modern day health/lifestyle choices means that I reckon both modern day Rangers and Celtic teams would beat the 1967 Celtic team 9 times out of 10.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

In my opinion, sport science, academy football, training facilities and modern day health/lifestyle choices means that I reckon both modern day Rangers and Celtic teams would beat the 1967 Celtic team 9 times out of 10.

Bertie Auld and Tommy Gemmell would kick f**k out of todays shower af pussies. 
As for the football… who knows? 

21 hours ago, AJF said:

Well, most of them are in their 80s or dead so wouldnt really be much of a contest these days 🙃

I have heard this argument regularly, from the rangers fans, that Celtic only won the EC due to the poor standard of the opposition.

This would be the self same opposition that rangers played against in all the competitions previous to 1967, but never managed to win.

Did rangers not hold the record at one time for the most appearances in the EC without winning it, or did someone just make that up?

13 minutes ago, justinjest said:

Did rangers not hold the record at one time for the most appearances in the EC without winning it, or did someone just make that up?

Sounds right. Maybe Linfield?

Just checked. I think it is right:

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/history/rankings/teams/appearances/

Dunno if appearances includes prelim rounds since the switch to Champions League tho

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

From the BBC's who is your club's PoTY. 

Scottish Premiership: Who is your club's player of the year? - BBC Sport

Livingston

Livingston were agonisingly close to a top-six place and the frustration that their team deserved better was increased by being denied the goal-scoring exploits of striker Bruce Anderson due to injury in recent weeks. Yet it was not the 11-goal striker who leads either the fan or writer awards.

Winger Alan Forrest has been the choice of the BBC with six goals and four assists reportedly putting him on the summer shopping list of Hearts and Dundee United.

And the fans have been voting for Max Stryjek, the Polish goalkeeper earning 12 clean sheets for his side this season. Although, he only just edges out Joel Nouble who has proved to be a more than able replacement for Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.

Did they not bother going onto our official website to look who was voted PoTY? Forrest, Stryjek and Nouble weren't winners of any of the awards.

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

Complete nonsense saying the fans thought Stryjek or Nouble were PoTY, hardly a balanced judgement using their skewed points system during games on the BBC, the thing is a joke.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER