The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

19 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61420310

Apparently Ange is a magician who has caused a seismic shift in Celtic's fortunes. Ffs.

This whole Ange w**k-off is hilarious.

A real seismic shift for the team who have won 9 out the last 10 titles and have the biggest budget to win the league 🙈.

Get Russell Crowe on the blower, there's an epic story being told here that Hollywood is going to love.

He'll recruit with the Champions League in mind. Quality over quantity, you suspect. His team played 14 games in Europe last season and won only five, conceding 28 goals in the process.

They're better now, but to make a mark on Europe, they're going to have find a way to convince UEFA to allow them to use Scottish referees. Challenges, challenges. They're in a position of strength to meet them

57 minutes ago, Ric said:

At one point, 8 of the 10 promoted articles on the BBC Scotland football section were Tom English puff pieces. He'd be a lot less annoying if he wasn't used so ubiquitously by the BBC.

The problem is that the "talent pool" at BBC Sport Scotland has almost no depth.

English jumped from print at the right time - tbf he saw the writing on the wall - and when he arrived at the BBC he seemed like a decent journo, but was given a nice title and licence to basically do what he wanted.

Any credibility he might have had was ripped to shreds after the abbreviated season in 2020 when he kept demanding league reconstruction - he appeared unaware that there was zero chance of this happening, and when he finally twigged what we all knew he kept lashing out like a 4 year old, and at times he verged on defaming people running the SPFL.

That radio interview when Doncaster went on to answer questions was supposed to be his big moment, but it was embarrassing - I dont think he landed one punch on Doncaster.

He wasnt the only person to lose their shit that summer, but most people are not given his platform.

I like Tom English. He was the only one with the baws to go against the party line when Hearts were voted down to the Championship. I’ve not read this thread from the start so apologies if the topic has been raised already.

4 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I like Tom English. He was the only one with the baws to go against the party line when Hearts were voted down to the Championship. I’ve not read this thread from the start so apologies if the topic has been raised already.

Absolutely. One of the very few pointing out that Scottish football was in a very, very small minority who couldn't finish the season. The reasons why were a sham and reached through underhand tactics. 

4 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

Absolutely. One of the very few pointing out that Scottish football was in a very, very small minority who couldn't finish the season. The reasons why were a sham and reached through underhand tactics. 

Yeah. Good on him, I say. I always like the fish that try and swim against the flow of sewage in the polluted river that is Scottish football. Far better than all the wee lickspittle jobbies merrily bobbing along with the flow.

14 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

5 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

There is a difference between being an investigative journalist, and perhaps playing Devil's Advocate, and him literally swallowing Budges sheer bullshit in spades. English wasn't objective through that whole process, not even slightly objective.

Was it a shit situation? Yes. Was it made worse by Budge's tantrums and ridiculous claims followed by legal action? Yes.

I understand from a Hearts point of view you felt ripped off and saw someone in your corner favourably, but it wasn't journalism English was doing, it was propaganda.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ric said:

There is a difference between being an investigative journalist, and perhaps playing Devil's Advocate, and him literally swallowing Budges sheer bullshit in spades. English wasn't objective through that whole process, not even slightly objective.

Was it a shit situation? Yes. Was it made worse by Budge's tantrums and ridiculous claims followed by legal action? Yes.

I understand from a Hearts point of view you felt ripped off and saw someone in your corner favourably, but it wasn't journalism English was doing, it was propaganda.

Calm down Ric, I understand you will see things differently, but there is no need to get all worked up about it. I respect him for not swallowing the Lawwell sewage tsunami. The rest of his peers just all lined up under Peter’s desk as he gave his rousing speech.

Edited by Kyle Reese

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

What were Budges ridiculous claims?

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Calm down Ric, I understand you will see things differently, but there is no need to get all worked up about it. I respect him for not swallowing the Lawwell sewage tsunami. The rest of his peers had all lined up up under Peter’s desk as he gave his rousing speech.

Better reply than I expected.. ;)

I'm not worked up, just stating how I saw it. I think quite a few would agree we me too. There was one point, and for the life of me I forget exactly the topic, but someone had posted something "out there" on KickBack, I mean fine.. that's what forums are for, no problems with that, but then Deans tweets it, then English picks it up, and next he's on Radio Scotland putting the point forward. IIRC it was Richard Gordon that went, "but surely that can't happen because of A, B, C" and English just doubled down. He had no information, just a Deans tweet of a forum post. That's why I said he wasn't being objective.

9 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

What were Budges ridiculous claims?

Are you sure you want to dredge it all up again, I'm sure there is a forum thread dedicated to every aspect. I'll be honest, I've put most of what happened that season into my brain's recycle bin (well, apart from Obika's goal.. :D).

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Are you sure you want to dredge it all up again, I'm sure there is a forum thread dedicated to every aspect.

I don't want to dredge it all up again, but i really don't know what her ridiculous claims are. 

I don't blame people trying to bury the absolute shitshow Scottish football made of the pandemic.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I'm not worked up, just stating how I saw it. I think quite a few would agree we me too. There was one point, and for the life I forget exactly the topic, but someone had posted something "out there" on KickBack, I mean fine.. that's what forums are for, no problems with that, but then Deans tweets it, then English picks it up, and next he's on Radio Scotland putting the point forward. IIRC it was Richard Gordon that went, "but surely that can't happen because of A, B, C" and English just doubled down. He had no information, just a Deans tweet of a forum post. That's why I said he wasn't being objective.

Are you sure you want to dredge it all up again, I'm sure there is a forum thread dedicated to every aspect.

I missed that particular episode, Ric. Sorry.

What I do remember was a number of club officials and board members lining up to make smug comments about medicine or the time for change, and English just casually debunking each and every one with consummate ease.

Anyway, my comment was not about whether the vote on ending the season was the correct one, or not. It was about Tom English and the respect I have for him for not just crawling around on all fours in front of Peter Lawwell, like all his colleagues did. He recognised the injustice of what was unfolding and chose to state as much, when others were more concerned with sticking the boot in, or not losing favour with the ten in a row candidates.

Just now, Kyle Reese said:

It was about Tom English and the respect I have for him for not just crawling around on all fours in front of Peter Lawwell, like all his colleagues did. He recognised the injustice of what was unfolding and chose to state as much, when others were more concerned with sticking the boot in, or not losing favour with the ten in a row candidates.

Sure, more than happy to move the topic back to English. Do you think he is still that sort of non-partisan figure? He seems to have "fallen into rank" with the Scottish journos in bigging up the OF at any opportunity. That's my main issue with the lad. I don't see him arguing with either OF, unless he has an option of a clickbait tweet/article.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm not worked up, just stating how I saw it. I think quite a few would agree we me too. There was one point, and for the life of me I forget exactly the topic, but someone had posted something "out there" on KickBack, I mean fine.. that's what forums are for, no problems with that, but then Deans tweets it, then English picks it up, and next he's on Radio Scotland putting the point forward. IIRC it was Richard Gordon that went, "but surely that can't happen because of A, B, C" and English just doubled down. He had no information, just a Deans tweet of a forum post. That's why I said he wasn't being objective.

Are you sure you want to dredge it all up again, I'm sure there is a forum thread dedicated to every aspect. I'll be honest, I've put most of what happened that season into my brain's recycle bin (well, apart from Obika's goal.. :D).

Also, “better reply than I expected” does you no favours whatsoever btw. The sort of condescending bullshit that is trotted out by people who have to try and convince themselves they are being fair and right, when it is obvious they are just being partisan and smug.

5 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

I don't want to dredge it all up again, but i really don't know what her ridiculous claims are. 

I don't blame people trying to bury the absolute shitshow Scottish football made of the pandemic.

Yeah, listen, I appreciate how frustrating it is to call someone out and they can't answer directly. I wish I could give you a detailed list, but I can't. It was lots of small things that kept adding up. Her public position that Scotland should have less clubs was suddenly in opposition to her claim the league should expand just to accommodate Hearts is an easy thing to pick up.

It's not like I'm saying she was always wrong, she wasn't. I also feel a lot of criticism came her way because she's a woman, rather than what she was saying. Which was disappointing.

I'm happy to move the subject back to English though, in the same way I did with Kyle's reply.

2 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Also, “better reply than I expected” does you no favours whatsoever btw. The sort of condescending bullshit that is trotted out by people who have to try and convince themselves they are being fair and right, when it is obvious they are just being partisan and smug.

No, no.. it wasn't a dig.

I was laughing that you didn't just tell me to f**k off. :lol:

Maybe my comment was lost in translation a little.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Sure, more than happy to move the topic back to English. Do you think he is still that sort of non-partisan figure? He seems to have "fallen into rank" with the Scottish journos in bigging up the OF at any opportunity. That's my main issue with the lad. I don't see him arguing with either OF, unless he has an option of a clickbait tweet/article.

Are you aware of the article he wrote about Hearts years ago when one of our supporters ran on to the pitch to confront Riordan? He is definitely not some sort of Hearts suck up. The man calls it as he sees it, and even though that sometimes puts my club in a bad light, I respect him for having the baws to not just toe the line.

Just now, Ric said:

No, no.. it wasn't a dig.

I was laughing that you didn't just tell me to f**k off. :lol:

Maybe my comment was lost in translation a little.

Fair enough. I did take that the wrong way, I think. 👍

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, listen, I appreciate how frustrating it is to call someone out and they can't answer directly. I wish I could give you a detailed list, but I can't. It was lots of small things that kept adding up. Her public position that Scotland should have less clubs was suddenly in opposition to her claim the league should expand just to accommodate Hearts is an easy thing to pick up.

It's not like I'm saying she was always wrong, she wasn't. I also feel a lot of criticism came her way because she's a woman, rather than what she was saying. Which was disappointing.

I'm happy to move the subject back to English though, in the same way I did with Kyle's reply.

She never said Scotland should have less clubs. She has (quite rightly in my opinion) stated that we have too many clubs in the professional set up. This does quite nicely bring us back to the topic of the thread though, because her words were twisted by… well… shite journalism.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

She never said Scotland should have less clubs. She has (quite rightly in my opinion) stated that we have too many clubs in the professional set up. This does quite nicely bring us back to the topic of the thread though, because her words were twisted by… well… shite journalism.

Yes, less professional clubs in the setup, and a reduced league, until she needed the league expanded. I get it, she was painted nto a corner because of the situation she/the club found herself/itself in, and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

To square the circle, though, I also agree that shit journalists likely misquoted her on a regular basis.

Edited by Ric