The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

50 minutes ago, Ric said:

:lol:

Buddy, I quoted others because I was directing my comments specifically to them. I didn't quote you or Clown Job because I wasn't, it was a general point for all.

Thanks for the response 👍

Although, if it was specifically to them and not a general point for everyone else to read on a public forum wouldn’t you have sent them a direct message?

Edited by Luddite

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

How are there still unfunny scumbags like this Copeland arsehole getting gigs above the level of shitehole pubs? 

Why did the organisers feel it appropriate to hire this c**t, knowing what his shite material features? Given the diversity of Scottish football, which is growing quite a bit and certainly is more diverse than it used to be, why did they feel it necessary to hire a homophobic, racist, sexist bigot? What would that have said to the players, coaches and other staff involved in the game who aren't white, protestant males?

Some of the terms used I haven't heard in years. Abysmal stuff.

Well, there's Tam Cowa... Err, I mean there's probably plenty of examples that can be named...

1 hour ago, Luddite said:

Although, if it was specifically to them and not a general point for everyone else to read on a public forum wouldn’t you have sent them a direct message?

Are you new to all this? I presume the username is not literal.

In short, horrific is etymologically correct. If you wish me to go back and edit my post so it specifically quotes your opinion of Clown Job using such words, I could do that if you feel it would help you.

Not sure it qualifies as “journalism” as such, but I find it interesting that in the BBC’s preview of the Dundee United vs Celtic game you get the opportunity to pick your Celtic starting XI, but not a United team. In fact in a 14 paragraph match preview, 12 of those are dedicated exclusively to Celtic. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61316038

Edited by Junior_Arab

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Are you new to all this? I presume the username is not literal.

In short, horrific is etymologically correct. If you wish me to go back and edit my post so it specifically quotes your opinion of Clown Job using such words, I could do that if you feel it would help you.

No need to edit anything on my account,  just refuting your logic and maintaining that your were disingenuous in your reply to me as you responded publicly to three comments made by three individuals, but only tagged two of them. That's all I have pointed out. I was the only one who questioned the usage of the word horrific, no-one else did.

Also, you still seem to be trying to make a point that I claimed the word horrific didn't make sense in that sentence. So, again, and for "clarity", my enquiry was about that particular individual's sense of what they, personally, find to be "horrific".

Consider it an anthropological query rather than a semasiological or etymological one.  Hope that clears that up.

4 minutes ago, Luddite said:

I think you'll find I am far too lazy to be disingenuous.

If you are so determined that I am somehow scurrilously undermining your intent, then there is nothing I can do about that. That's something you'll need to deal with, as it's irrelevant from my end.

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think you'll find I am far too lazy to be disingenuous.

If you are so determined that I am somehow scurrilously undermining your intent, then there is nothing I can do about that. That's something you'll need to deal with, as it's irrelevant from my end.

Not sure what being lazy has to do with being disingenuous, it takes very little effort.

I don't think you are "undermining" my intent but ignoring it so you can continue to educate me on the etymology of a pretty basic word.

And it's not that irrelevant to you, as you continue rallying with me in this tedious exchange.

6 minutes ago, Luddite said:

For f**k sake. Let's be very fucking clear here.

Say it along with me.. Joking 👏 about 👏 women 👏 being 👏 raped 👏 is 👏 horrific.

The idea that this is all about you absolutely reeks of insecurity.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

For f**k sake. Let's be very fucking clear here.

Say it along with me.. Joking 👏 about 👏 women 👏 being 👏 raped 👏 is 👏 horrific.

The idea that this is all about you absolutely reeks of insecurity.

I wondered how long it would take for you to adopt the stance of being my moral superior.

Are you just making a general point about rape jokes there?  I haven't made any comments in support of rape jokes,  I am asking specifically about this Copeland person and would like to see exactly what he said before I make a judgement on him.

Your last line,  all about me,  is a little hyperbolic (that dang social media hyperbole again), but there is some truth to it as any urge to foist one's opinions onto complete strangers comes from a place of ego-driven insecurity. That's me, yes, and also you.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Jesus fucking wept, are you actually this fucking dense.

And now we have personal insults. 

I was under the impression this thread was specifically about this particular speaker and what he said at an event, not a general "rape is bad" thread, which you have now tried to present it as in an effort to gain the moral high ground and paint me in a certain light rather than discussing this specific speech.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I implore @Ric to realise that this is yet another tedious account who is trolling the site, and leave well alone. 

I should know this, shouldn't I?

Yeah, sorry about that.

15 hours ago, Ric said:

I should know this, shouldn't I?

Yeah, sorry about that.

And yet you’ve just spent this morning trawling through every single one of my posts and pressing the little red boo-boo face dislikey button!  Just couldn’t help yourself, could you?  Love it!

Guess it was all about me Ricky-boy! 😁

And that’s even after I gave you multiple green smiley face likey-likey things….so you have to know I don’t give a shit! 
Festering away all through the night in your head, wasn’t I ? 😘

Edited by Luddite