The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Thanks, I guess? Why wouldn't I confirm what is true?

Well, given that one their employees is not being allowed to do his job because he was banned by Rangers for writing the truth, you can kinda see why people would say that Rangers have banned the BBC. Even if you don’t agree.

49 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yes. For all intents and purposes, they are the one and the same. It appears you think this is a micro issue when it is, in fact, a macro one.

In programming terms, McLaughlin is an encapsulated private data field on the BBC object.

giphy.gif

Last page has been an interesting psychological insight. 

Edit - Ooft such comments have left me the victim of a red dot drive by by the man who's been humiliated over the last page or so. Definitely completely normal behaviour. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

19 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Well, given that one their employees is not being allowed to do his job because he was banned by Rangers for writing the truth, you can kinda see why people would say that Rangers have banned the BBC. Even if you don’t agree.

Again, I'd need to respectfully disagree.

The BBC absolutely have the option to send someone in McLaughlin's place. The fact they choose not to and boycott Ibrox instead does not mean that the BBC themselves are banned.

I'm not giving an opinion on whether they are right or wrong in doing so, I'm simply stating that it's a fact they have the option to send someone other than McLaughlin to Ibrox.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

Again, I'd need to respectfully disagree.

The BBC absolutely have the option to send someone in McLaughlin's place. The fact they choose not to and boycott Ibrox instead does not mean that the BBC themselves are banned.

I'm not giving an opinion on whether they are right or wrong in doing so, I'm simply stating that it's a fact they have the option to send someone other than McLaughlin to Ibrox.

Yeah, but given the obvious fact that they’re backing their employee, you can see why people may come to the conclusion that Rangers have banned the BBC from Ibrox. Even if you don’t agree that they actually have.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Yeah, but given the obvious fact that they’re backing their employee, you can see why people may come to the conclusion that Rangers have banned the BBC from Ibrox. Even if you don’t agree that they actually have.

Sorry, yes, I'd see why some will believe that.

55 minutes ago, Ric said:

This is not a circular argument.

I have made my point clear, you have failed to counter those points.

It's understandable you wish to step back from this (edit: just for clarity, because it's extremely tedious to discuss Rangers - and the BBC to a lesser extent - not that you are somehow incapable of responding).

The bottom line is that they BBC aren’t banned from Ibrox, I mean it’s not even a contentious point, they are not banned. But it’s understandable that people who don’t understand what has happened would think that way, until it’s explained to them exactly what’s happened.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

My daughter is friends with twins. If one of them does something to annoy me and I go over the top in banning her from the house, then it doesn't mean I've banned the family.

I'll not lie I had a laugh at this, I mean it's possibly the worst analogy I've seen. It doesn't even come close to representing the situation. The one I provided in a reply to Dons_1988 is considerably more relevant.

Just now, kingjoey said:

The bottom line is that they BBC aren’t banned from Ibrox, I mean it’s not even a contentious point, they are not banned.

Oh, they are, unless you determine the staff and resource management within an independent company as being within Rangers' purview. What hasn't happened is Rangers making a statement that the BBC are officially banned. That clearly hasn't happened but as I point out, McLaughlin was banned in his professional capacity, not in a personal one. There is no argument in that case, the BBC are de facto banned from Ibrox as they are unable to have full volition over their own staff.

Just now, captainkev said:

Whether or not they're banned from or just boycotting Ibrox, you'd still hope the BBC would have a bit more self-respect and not routinely put out such fawning, craven coverage of The Rangers.

Yes, I mean I'm genuinely stunned that some people seem to think this is a personal issue between McLaughlin and Rangers, it's not, it's a professional one as he is not banned from picking up a ticket and walking in the away end, however the point you raise is the salient one. Irrespective of whether the BBC or McLaughlin are banned, the continuing deference shown by the BBC is somewhat questionable.

I understand they are probably taking a "we'll rise above this" type of approach, but still..

Just now, Ric said:

I'll not lie I had a laugh at this, I mean it's possibly the worst analogy I've seen. It doesn't even come close to representing the situation. The one I provided in a reply to Dons_1988 is considerably more relevant.

Oh, they are, unless you determine the staff and resource management within an independent company as being within Rangers' purview. What hasn't happened is Rangers making a statement that the BBC are officially banned. That clearly hasn't happened but as I point out, McLaughlin was banned in his professional capacity, not in a personal one. There is no argument in that case, the BBC are de facto banned from Ibrox as they are unable to have full volition over their own staff.

Yes, I mean I'm genuinely stunned that some people seem to think this is a personal issue between McLaughlin and Rangers, it's not, it's a professional one as he is not banned from picking up a ticket and walking in the away end, however the point you raise is the salient one. Irrespective of whether the BBC or McLaughlin are banned, the continuing deference shown by the BBC is somewhat questionable.

I understand they are probably taking a "we'll rise above this" type of approach, but still..

You okay buddy? 

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Have a day off.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm totally in favour of the BBC stance in this matter, but the BBC are not banned from Ibrox. 

Just now, kingjoey said:

I'm totally in favour of the BBC stance in this matter, but the BBC are not banned from Ibrox. 

Are they able to send any member of staff to cover a game? McLaughlin can walk into the ground with a ticket, he is only banned when working for the BBC, thus the ban is while he is employed by them. The ban is with his work and as he is contracted to work for the BBC, the ban is the BBC.

Rangers at no point should control who is given the job of reporting on their games, just like Aberdeen should not be allowed to, although I feel we both agree on that point.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Are they able to send any member of staff to cover a game? McLaughlin can walk into the ground with a ticket, he is only banned when working for the BBC, thus the ban is while he is employed by them. The ban is with his work and as he is contracted to work for the BBC, the ban is the BBC.

Rangers at no point should control who is given the job of reporting on their games, just like Aberdeen should not be allowed to, although I feel we both agree on that point.

You've completely lost the run here.

So, let's say the BBC send 2 reporters to Ibrox to cover a match. Reporter A is refused entry but reporter B is allowed in. You are saying that the ban is with the BBC and not reporter A?

Nonsense.

ETA: It's also interesting you failed to respond to the point made about if McLaughlin left the BBC to join Sky (or anyone else for that matter), mainly because it blows your theory out the water.

Edited by AJF