The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

Never fails to amaze me just how thin skinned some journalists are 

You made a mistake, no big deal a simple correction would have done 

But nope, you gotta double down 

Oooft, losing your shit with some whataboutery thrown in for good measure. Admittedly the whole ‘statement’ thing is a bit cringey from the Celtic fan but a simple hands up would have sufficed from Ewan. Was he the guy that was going batshit crazy about Hearts being relegated?

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

But Celtic did take government funds? Every company did. That’s what the furlough scheme was. They didn’t take the loan but there’s no argument that Celtic took government funds, they were perfectly eligible to do so.

The only reason Celtic didn’t take the government loan is because the conditions required them to stop paying directors bonuses, which would have resulted in Lawwell’s pay being cut significantly (and all the other directors wouldn’t be able to cash in either).

A bit of a leap here, the furlough went to employees rather than the employers, it was to protect jobs and stop mass redundancies. Initially you weren’t even allowed to work at all for the company.

For the avoidance Of doubt I’m not saying Celtic are the good guys in this as the board are probs all Uber Tory wanks but what Murray was moaning about in regards to us wasn’t really true.

Edited by gannonball

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A bit of a leap here, the furlough went to employees rather than the employers, it was to protect jobs and stop mass redundancies. Initially you weren’t even allowed to work at all for the company.

For the avoidance Of doubt I’m not saying Celtic are the good guys in this as the board are probs all Uber Tory wanks but what Murray was moaning about in regards to us wasn’t really true.

The furlough went to the employers, they had to claim for it. Nobody got a cheque from the Treasury for their wages. If Celtic hadn’t taken furlough, they’d have been required to honour the contract and either pay the wages themselves or terminate the contracts as per the clauses in them.

There can be no argument that Celtic took government money. Everyone did. Murray is right.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

The furlough went to the employers, they had to claim for it. Nobody got a cheque from the Treasury for their wages. If Celtic hadn’t taken furlough, they’d have been required to honour the contract and either pay the wages themselves or terminate the contracts as per the clauses in them.

There can be no argument that Celtic took government money. Everyone did. Murray is right.

It through the employers PAYE system (to employees). Sorry but I really don’t think you are that simple and are either trolling or just that blinkered, probs the latter.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

It through the employers PAYE system (to employees). Sorry but I really don’t think you are that simple and are either trolling or just that blinkered, probs the latter.

You’re talking semantics here but he’s right, Celtic did take government money to pay their staff. It is a fact. 

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

To argue that the furlough scheme is NOT a business accepting government funds is a bit disingenuous considering it literally allowed businesses to pay staff (up to a certain percentage) with a government handout rather than from their own pocket. Businesses then had the option to top up the wages to 100% if they wished.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’re talking semantics here but he’s right, Celtic did take government money to pay their staff. It is a fact. 

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

To argue that the furlough scheme is NOT a business accepting government funds is a bit disingenuous considering it literally allowed businesses to pay staff (up to a certain percentage) with a government handout rather than from their own pocket. Businesses then had the option to top up the wages to 100% if they wished.

I get some of your points but that is not what Murray was alluding to, hence going on the offensive about IRA chants. The furlough scheme was purely to protect jobs and you couldn’t even work for the company whilst claiming it,  where as the loan/grant system was to help out the immediate cash flow issues to businesses that Murray was talking about, as he was talking about the Scottish government at the time. Celtic chose not to, the ulterior  motive as to why is an interesting one suggested by G51 tbh and is quite believable.

I think I've just seen Ewan Murray write something factual, not their little rant about Celtic, but the way they described their comment as..

"an utterly trivial tweet"

I applaud this Damascene conversion, he has finally found some clarity and realised the content he puts out is utterly trivial.

Worth having a wee look at Chris Jack's Twitter page should you ever feel tempted to read any of his, ahem, 'writing' in the Glesca Times or Herald.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Jack89?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

A warning to expect little in the way of balance or questing journalism. I expect the Herald/Times have a similar stooge for the other cheek, too.

35 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Worth having a wee look at Chris Jack's Twitter page should you ever feel tempted to read any of his, ahem, 'writing' in the Glesca Times or Herald.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Jack89?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

A warning to expect little in the way of balance or questing journalism. I expect the Herald/Times have a similar stooge for the other cheek, too.

Delighted to see the concept of “beat writers” finally make its way to this thread.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Can you please inform the entire accountancy profession that they've been treating furlough wrong? 

This is going to be quite a bombshell. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Can you please inform the entire accountancy profession that they've been treating furlough wrong? 

This is going to be quite a bombshell. 

Nope, no c**t ever really wants to speak them as they are the most boring lot going. Also before you correct me how it is paid please don’t , nobody cares.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Not yet but I’ve been stuck in Aberdeen for 5 days which is enough for torture for any soul however being lectured about an accountancy process may push me over the edge.

:lol: uh oh, not an ‘Aberdeen is shit’ post. 

34 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Nope, no c**t ever really wants to speak them as they are the most boring lot going. Also before you correct me how it is paid please don’t , nobody cares.

Don't lash out at the accountants because you've made a tit of yourself. As one of your fellow celticcy types put it about 20posts ago:

"You made a mistake, no big deal a simple correction would have done 

But nope, you gotta double down"