The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 10/12/2021 at 09:58, Gallo24 said:

“rank Gerrards best Anfield moments”.

Articles like this, on taxpayer-funded media, completely boil my piss. I can't decide if it's a throwback to pishy 1990s lads mag fodder or more modern Vice-era non-reporting, but it's a complete journalistic cop-out either way. 

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think we overestimate the level of broader football knowledge many professionals have. Rodgers is a coach and will concentrate on that.

We are football geeks in comparison. None of us could manage a team or play, but we can rhyme of competition formats and recite all the grounds in senior football etc.

If you are one match away from finding yourself in said competition, it doesn't really take too much to do 5 minutes of research on it, surely.

34 minutes ago, AJF said:

If you are one match away from finding yourself in said competition, it doesn't really take too much to do 5 minutes of research on it, surely.

I would say not, but  the point I'm making is that, in my experience, pro's can be quite blinkered and insular. They limit what they give thought to and see things in a completely different context to supporters.

Rodgers will go to a game today to see an opponent or scout a player, not because he's never been to the ground before.

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I would say not, but  the point I'm making is that, in my experience, pro's can be quite blinkered and insular. They limit what they give thought to and see things in a completely different context to supporters.

Rodgers will go to a game today to see an opponent or scout a player, not because he's never been to the ground before.

And he'll more than likely be sober.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It’s maybe just an odd choice of words then as it would be understandable if he said he didn’t know the format. 

The quote is that he doesn’t even know what it is, which is just strange tbh. 

I think Rodgers was just instinctively answering like a sulky brat who didn’t get what he wanted from Santa and isn’t interested in what he did get.

And he’s also acutely aware that despite recently being touted for the Man Yoo job , his prospects of lasting much longer with Leicester , let alone getting a move to a bigger job , are fast receding.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-defender-tegan-browning-on-combing-school-with-football-the-ultimate-goal-is-to-be-a-professional-she-says-3495532

On the one hand, I think that the more schools that have a women's team the better, but on the other, I don't think "combing schools" will be taken seriously enough, no matter how good their teams are.

Tom took the 97th minute winner well. [emoji3]

https://twitter.com/TEnglishSport/status/1471241636323672069
I think Tom English, far be it for me to stick up for him, tweeted that in response to a tweet from Chris Sutton which said, to paraphrase, that it was a brilliant achievement for Celtic to beat Ross County last night given Celtic were down to the bare bones.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Tom is spot on here.

I don’t actually think Tom is that thick he’s just trolling. Just to say we had ‘internationalists’ is as lazy an argument as you can get. We were still rightly favourites but when you consider we had no strikers, a right back playing in a front 3 and a man sent off yes you could say we were down to the ‘bare bones’ after all the games we have be playing.

Poor wee Celtic having to play a £4m player, with experience of playing up front, as a striker.

Never been a club so determined to "defeat all the odds" so often despite have major advantages over every single club in the country.