The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Tony Watt scored Motherwell's winning goal against Hibernian on Saturday to top the Scottish Premiership scoring charts but understands why he has not forced him into the Scotland squad as Steve Clarke's current strikers are doing so well.

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59538240)

Impressive scoring indeed in a 1-1 draw...

Heard on Radio Scotland on Saturday: "Managerless East Fife take on Alloa.."

Stevie Crawford lasted all of two days in the post then having been appointed in midweek.

Sadly, I don't expect the mainstream media to know feck all about the lower leagues but Radio Scotland are usually pretty clued up.

On 27/11/2021 at 09:14, Dundee Hibernian said:

From what I recall, the new club got higher ranked officials for their games in the fourth tier than other clubs at that level. This continued throughout the 'journey', ensuring less errors being made by inexperienced dodgy penalties and questionable offside were dealt with by impartial referees.

Shouldn’t be surprised, but it’s a joke how far down the bbc sport football home page you have to go to find out about Celtic and Rangers results last night. Way below stuff like “Mascherano takes Argentina U20’s role” “Lawros premier league predictions” and “rank Gerrards best Anfield moments”.

3 minutes ago, Gallo24 said:

Shouldn’t be surprised, but it’s a joke how far down the bbc sport football home page you have to go to find out about Celtic and Rangers results last night. Way below stuff like “Mascherano takes Argentina U20’s role” “Lawros premier league predictions” and “rank Gerrards best Anfield moments”.

I thought he was supposed to have been a great player?

3 minutes ago, Gallo24 said:

And below Rogers saying he didn't know what the europa conference league was. Which in itself is utterly staggering for someone whose job is football. I get there will be some wordplay by the journalist but still.

10 minutes ago, Gallo24 said:

I also noticed a while back that the English club results are under the sub-menu of European Football but the Scottish Clubs are always under "Scottish Football".

20 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

And below Rogers saying he didn't know what the europa conference league was. Which in itself is utterly staggering for someone whose job is football. I get there will be some wordplay by the journalist but still.

No wordplay, I seen a clip of his interview and he literally says he doesn't know what the competition is.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

No wordplay, I seen a clip of his interview and he literally says he doesn't know what the competition is.

Which is shocking then. It is part of a wider arrogance of managers I the UK, especially in the EPL.

It would be better for his side (or any other English side) to win the conference league in both prestige and European entry for next season than to finish say 6th in the EPL. 

Which is shocking then. It is part of a wider arrogance of managers I the UK, especially in the EPL.
It would be better for his side (or any other English side) to win the conference league in both prestige and European entry for next season than to finish say 6th in the EPL. 
Intertoto cup then.

Tbf Rodgers does qualify this by saying he was so focussed on the Europa League. It was a throwaway remark that I don't think needs to be looked into that deeply. What is there to know about the conference league that Rodgers can't learn in about 5 minutes of skim reading the format? I don't think it's arrogance to only be focussed on the contest at hand. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Tbf Rodgers does qualify this by saying he was so focussed on the Europa League. It was a throwaway remark that I don't think needs to be looked into that deeply. What is there to know about the conference league that Rodgers can't learn in about 5 minutes of skim reading the format? I don't think it's arrogance to only be focussed on the contest at hand. 

If he’d said something like I’m not familiar with the potential opposition or something I might be with you, but he said he didn’t know what it was. 

He’s either at it or just an oddball. 

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I don’t think it’s getting looked into too deeply, I just think it’s being recognised as a bit ignorant which is par for the course when it comes to English teams and their views on any European competition that isn’t the Champions League.

I think we overestimate the level of broader football knowledge many professionals have. Rodgers is a coach and will concentrate on that.

We are football geeks in comparison. None of us could manage a team or play, but we can rhyme of competition formats and recite all the grounds in senior football etc.