The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

8 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

If only the papers were full of smashed signed pictures and headless cardboard cutouts 

Meanwhile, Keith Jackson getting the ouija board out to get backing for McInnes seems a bit off.

Yep, I'd be more inclined to buy a paper if there was that kind of content to be fair 🤣

Aye, I think it's poor form to use Smith as some kind of twisted promotion for his man McInnes.

Edited by AJF

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Great to see that on the very day of a massively significant game for Scotland, BBC Scotland's front page on Scottish football, is devoted almost entirely to Rangers.

Just another day really.

33 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Its not that surprising, to be honest.

Websites produce articles they think people want to read and place articles in the order they think people will read them. Fact is, more people will want to read about Rangers search for a new manager than a Scotland game against lowly Moldova or a (hopefully) dead rubber against Denmark.

Talking about Scotland-Moldova isnt that interesting. Suggesting wild shouts for Rangers manager is. 

I'd expect the coverage to be different if this was on the day of a playoff game or something, although thats maybe giving the Beeb too much credit.

That's an interesting fact. Where did you get your data from?

Must see how Chris Jack ('Lead Rangers Writer' for The Herald - it's not just the tabloids) has responded to Gerrard's departure. His main job is to redraft Rangers press releases for The Herald and he generally avoids controversy, but he must be hurting all the same.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Its not that surprising, to be honest.

Websites produce articles they think people want to read and place articles in the order they think people will read them. Fact is, more people will want to read about Rangers search for a new manager than a Scotland game against lowly Moldova or a (hopefully) dead rubber against Denmark.

Talking about Scotland-Moldova isnt that interesting. Suggesting wild shouts for Rangers manager is. 

I'd expect the coverage to be different if this was on the day of a playoff game or something, although thats maybe giving the Beeb too much credit.

The BBC is a public service broadcaster with no adverts. Their journalism shouldn’t be driven by what gets them the most “clicks”.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The BBC is a public service broadcaster with no adverts. Their journalism shouldn’t be driven by what gets them the most “clicks”.

It's quite remarkable how many people think the BBC is like any other media company. It's probably because they've positioned themselves as a competitor in the red top gutter press market with their output.

Regardless of whether the BBC is a public service broadcaster, their news output still needs to reflect what people deem to be "newsworthy".

Like it or lump it, Gerrard leaving Rangers is more newsworthy at the moment than Scotland v Moldova. I would imagine the closer we creep to kick off and the team news starts filtering through then that will change.

Talking of the BBC, here is some shameful pointless content filling...

1eQwkxw.png

So, just to get this right, a Rangers sycophant, who played a single season 20 years ago with van Bronckhorst is the best person to give a take on this?

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

1eQwkxw.png

So, just to get this right, a Rangers sycophant, who played a single season 20 years ago with van Bronckhorst is the best person to give a take on this?

What boxes does he tick according to Miller?  I'm guessing he wasn't pressed for this.

47 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

It's quite remarkable how many people think the BBC is like any other media company. It's probably because they've positioned themselves as a competitor in the red top gutter press market with their output.

It is like other media companies though. Viewership and "clicks" matter.

Its how the BBC will proportion its funding to aspects of the business that get more views. So if the BBC Scotland sports page suddenly has a story loads of people will want to read, theyll push those articles to the top. Because more views and more reads equals more funding.

Its also stretching it a bit to suggest the manager of the current champions and league leaders suddenly jumping ship isnt more newsworthy than a game against Moldova where we know how we'll set up, we know roughly who'll play and there isnt much to say about the opponents.

It would be the exact same on the main section if Pep or Klopp suddenly left on the eve of a game England should win comfortably.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:54, eez-eh said:

100%  this.

The BBC can, and should, be above such nonsense.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 12/11/2021 at 11:11, Ric said:

1eQwkxw.png

Kenny Miller is amongst the most odious former players around. An egotistical deluded arsehole. A very good player, but as you say, a total Rangers sycophant. The story of him storming up to the Hearts dressing room and having a go at the players for celebrating beating his Rangers side at Tynecastle, is genuinely one of the most cringeworthy things I’ve ever heard. If someone in the Hearts dressing room didn’t laugh in his glaikit coupon, and close the door on him, then I’d be extremely disappointed. His punditry is hard work too - all the charisma and wit of reanimated roadkill.

On 12/11/2021 at 16:50, House Bartender said:

Other than the overtly right-wing salutes in the photo, just who is "DA"?

image.png.3ceff678f6576fa62c7b8bf2a1f1a893.png

Dariusz Adamczuk. Doubt he would have needed his kit or training gear too much, so good that it was getting used, I suppose.

I think that is the young Mr Miller there in the photo with GvB. 

Those articles are shite though, we all know that. The churnalist has written 90% of it before he picks up the phone.

"So Kenny, big Gio van B. Do you think he'd be a good fit at Ibrox?"

"Aye, he'd be a good fit, aye."

"Sound Kenny. Cheque's in the post."

12 hours ago, Oscar P said:

86527916-246C-4FE3-8910-551E5AA6EF50.png

Of course you will be referring to the Cove/'heid scoreline mixup.

But just read that Crichton quote, ffs. I mean, I know that colloquially, many of us would speak like that. But they haven't even corrected the two glaring grammatical errors that make her look totally dense.