The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 05/11/2021 at 10:18, Sarto Mutiny said:
On 03/11/2021 at 12:08, Ric said:
I see the "super soaraway" Sun has managed to bag another exclusive, and what an Earth shattering story it is.
Apparently Alex Dyer, who worked with Clarke both at club and international level, is tipping Clarke for success.
A point so asinine, so tedious, so pointless we should congratulate those plucky investigative journalists in uncovering this shocking revelation.
Thank you The Sun, you truly are a beacon in these dark times.

The "my pal is a great manager" piece has been a tabloid staple since ever. I still remember when we punted Jackie McNamara and the papers were full of his media pals telling us what a terrible mistake it was.

It's bad in a different way in the lower leagues.

Bollan shat a massive lead for us in L2 only for us to go up through the playoffs.  In the process he pissed off so many of our best players they left before the start of the next season.  We then struggled for a few weeks before he was rightly punted.  The usual stuff from the media saying they couldn't understand why we didn't give him more time after a "successful" campaign. 

A simple query to a few supporters would have cleared up that question but that was obviously too much to ask.

ETA:  A quick look an PnB would be worth a shot.  Might be lazy but better than spouting crap without doing any research whatsoever.

Edited by Loonytoons

8 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Bollan shat a massive lead for us in L2 only for us to go up through the playoffs.  In the process he pissed off so many of our best players they left before the start of the next season.  We then struggled for a few weeks before he was rightly punted.  The usual stuff from the media saying they couldn't understand why we didn't give him more time after a "successful" campaign. 

A simple query to a few supporters would have cleared up that question but that was obviously too much to ask.

ETA:  A quick look an PnB would be worth a shot.  Might be lazy but better than spouting crap without doing any research whatsoever.

Interestingly I now get Gary Bollan coming into my work every 2 weeks or so.

On 05/11/2021 at 12:16, Merkland Red said:

Strange take from Leckie as going two up top has turned Aberdeens season around.

Stranger still because Sevco didn't play with 2 up front,

image.png.fadc369d3ce4c5bb7c645c269acfcc61.png

and it was only a few days after Sevco scored 6 goals and Celtic were held to a goalless draw with their modern day 3 up front, that he's slagging Sevco for not scoring lots of goals in his imaginary 2 up front.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Stranger still because Sevco didn't play with 2 up front,

image.png.fadc369d3ce4c5bb7c645c269acfcc61.png

and it was only a few days after Sevco scored 6 goals and Celtic were held to a goalless draw with their modern day 3 up front, that he's slagging Sevco for not scoring lots of goals in his imaginary 2 up front.

Yeah, we've played with different variations of 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 / 4-2-1-3 for years now.  I'd wager a fair bit of money that if someone was to go back through all of Gerrard's games at Rangers, we've never played a single game with an "old fashioned" front 2.

23 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

People need to stop referring to The Sun, Daily Record, Daily Mail, etc, as if its actual meant to be journalism.

They are well aware they are clickbait shite rather than actual journalistic pieces. We should treat them as such.

While I agree, I'd say the problem is we have an incredible amount of stupid people out there, who lap up their shite.

Dundee 2-4 Celtic extras: Charlie Adam's wave, Willie Collum on the money and Jota | The Scotsman

Scotsman praising Willie Collum for his refereeing performance in our game vs Celtic on Sunday which is all fine except for the fact that it was Alan Muir that was the ref.

Dundee 2-4 Celtic extras: Charlie Adam's wave, Willie Collum on the money and Jota | The Scotsman
Scotsman praising Willie Collum for his refereeing performance in our game vs Celtic on Sunday which is all fine except for the fact that it was Alan Muir that was the ref.
Thats amazing. Its one thing to give the ref a wee namecheck and get it wrong, but they have actually singled him out for praise [emoji23]

5 hours ago, Ric said:

While I agree, I'd say the problem is we have an incredible amount of stupid people out there, who lap up their shite.

And about 99% of them support one of two clubs.

I, for one, am more than happy for these cretins to read the scummy rags and howl at each other about whatever their perceived injustice is that week. It makes it easier to spot the ones to ignore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59231595

From the bottom of the article, "Should both Scotland and Austria reach the play-offs, the Scots would be seeded in the semi-final draw, but the Austrians would not be."

Absolute nonsense and suggests we'll be seeded when we would still likely need a result against Denmark. Who wrote this, Willie Miller?

On 08/11/2021 at 10:33, Ric said:

Massively. And they actively enjoying lapping up the shite. They are fully bought in and enjoy feeling part of it all.

16 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Aaron Pressley on dad Steven Pressley: I've learned a lot from my dad

Aaron Pressley on dad Steven Pressley: I've learned a lot from my dad | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com)

At least someone did. I can't remember anyone who played under him making a similar remark

18 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

At least someone did. I can't remember anyone who played under him making a similar remark

Not a fan of SP by any means, but that's simply not true.

The crop of youngsters we had a few years ago (Kingsley, Fulton, McGrandles etc) all spoke very highly of how good he was with the young players. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Great to see that on the very day of a massively significant game for Scotland, BBC Scotland's front page on Scottish football, is devoted almost entirely to Rangers.

Its not that surprising, to be honest.

Websites produce articles they think people want to read and place articles in the order they think people will read them. Fact is, more people will want to read about Rangers search for a new manager than a Scotland game against lowly Moldova or a (hopefully) dead rubber against Denmark.

Talking about Scotland-Moldova isnt that interesting. Suggesting wild shouts for Rangers manager is. 

I'd expect the coverage to be different if this was on the day of a playoff game or something, although thats maybe giving the Beeb too much credit.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Great to see that on the very day of a massively significant game for Scotland, BBC Scotland's front page on Scottish football, is devoted almost entirely to Rangers.

Aye, it's not entirely surprising and is reflective of what people want to talk about. It's the same on here: if you compare the number of posts on the Scotland v Moldova thread to the posts on the Rangers threads since Gerrard's exit it's clear what subject interests people more.

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, it's not entirely surprising and is reflective of what people want to talk about. It's the same on here: if you compare the number of posts on the Scotland v Moldova thread to the posts on the Rangers threads since Gerrard's exit it's clear what subject interests people more.

If only the papers were full of smashed signed pictures and headless cardboard cutouts 

Meanwhile, Keith Jackson getting the ouija board out to get backing for McInnes seems a bit off.