The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

11 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

There were no other melodies available, is a fascinating new argument. Not even the b-side to the unsuccessful Norwegian entry to the 1976 Eurovision Song Contest?

Oh my lovely, lovely gers,

My lovely gers.....

Nobody has made that argument except yourself. Nobody has said no other melodies were available, simply that this song was the most appropriate as it is a song that specifically sings about our founding…

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

So do you believe Rangers decided to go out and commission someone to record the song after TFS incident last month? Or do you think it is likely the song had already been commissioned and recorded already in preparation for the kit launch?

That's an interesting question, regarding 'commissioning' someone, which implies payment. I think the original song was a folk tune, so it's perhaps safe to say that the Ibrox club think no royalties are due for making a version. Nonetheless, there have been various disputes regarding the song arrangement rights of such songs, and the tune used appears to be the Beach Boys arrangements.

And the Beach Boys and their various managers have been in dispute for a number of years over payments for songs and arrangements, with Brian Wilson credited with arranging Sloop John B. I hope these pesky Celtic fans don't get wind of this and try to inform the Music Copyrighting Agency (UK).

20 minutes ago, AJF said:

The thing is though, when you look at the lyrics of the song, then it is abundantly clear why they chose that as the most appropriate song to launch the anniversary kit…

“From Argyll so young, to Glasgow city they'd come.

Seeking fortune and a new way of life. How could they all know, their ambitions would grow.

Such a beautiful story, and here's how it goes.....

Four lads had a dream to start a football team, they had no money no kit not even a ball

They still carried on The Rangers were born

55 titles, we're still going strong”

I had to look them up. If I had created Rangers, old or new, I'd be hanging my head in shame rather than celebrating.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

4 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That's an interesting question, regarding 'commissioning' someone, which implies payment. I think the original song was a folk tune, so it's perhaps safe to say that the Ibrox club think no royalties are due for making a version. Nonetheless, there have been various disputes regarding the song arrangement rights of such songs, and the tune used appears to be the Beach Boys arrangements.

And the Beach Boys and their various managers have been in dispute for a number of years over payments for songs and arrangements, with Brian Wilson credited with arranging Sloop John B. I hope these pesky Celtic fans don't get wind of this and try to inform the Music Copyrighting Agency (UK).

I certainly wouldn’t put it past them doing so, mate.

We can only hope they overlook it.

Sorry for my innocence on this subject "the bears songbook".

In 2008 Strathclyde police told Rangers Football Club, that their fans will be arrested if caught singing "The Famine Song". Arrests  started to be made in Nov '08.

I had to look up the 4 lads had a dream song, and it was only wrote around 2010/11.

Both to the same tune.

Speaking to my mentor Cato Fong, we believe there is some shenanigans going on.

You can dress it up to whatever you want, you bunch of racist c***s. I know, you know, yer fucking at it.

2 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Sorry for my innocence on this subject "the bears songbook".

In 2008 Strathclyde police told Rangers Football Club, that their fans will be arrested if caught singing "The Famine Song". Arrests  started to be made in Nov '08.

I had to look up the 4 lads had a dream song, and it was only wrote around 2010/11.

Both to the same tune.

Speaking to my mentor Cato Fong, we believe there is some shenanigans going on.

You can dress it up to whatever you want, you bunch of racist c***s. I know, you know, yer fucking at it.

What exactly are we “at”? Why has not a single soul taken offence to Four Lads being a song for the last decade until now?

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

What exactly are we “at”? Why has not a single soul taken offence to Four Lads being a song for the last decade until now?

I didn't know about it. It's hard to keep track of all the snide accommodation of the less than silent majority.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I didn't know about it. It's hard to keep track of all the snide accommodation of the less than silent majority.

So you’re saying you would’ve taken offence to the Four Lads song had you heard of it?

50 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Fucking hell 

who gives a f**k 😂

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Nice swerve of the question there.

I didn't, I looked it up and was offended at the lyrics celebrating a manevolent institution that has done nothing positive in either of its existencies. Indeed they go one better by being a negative factor in our society.

It's like making up a cheery song about Pol Pot.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I didn't, I looked it up and was offended at the lyrics celebrating a manevolent institution that has done nothing positive in either of its existencies. Indeed they go one better by being a negative factor in our society.

You swerved the question as I intended it and you know it and are now hiding behind the whole “I hate Rangers so everything they do offends me” excuse.

You’re not debating in good faith so I’ll end it there.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

You swerved the question as I intended it and you know it and are now hiding behind the whole “I hate Rangers so everything they do offends me” excuse.

You’re not debating in good faith so I’ll end it there.

Rangers don't deserve good faith.

It's a holiday in Cambodia...