Jump to content

The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Got to say, touting a player for the national team because he's had a good season or so in the lower reaches of the English leagues (half of that time in League Two) comes across as classic ignorant English journalism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58897386

Don't get me wrong, we all know about Hardie, he's not someone who's come out of the blue (no pun intended), but because he's now playing at Plymouth he should be watched by Clarke?

A whole bunch of English League 1 games were postponed at the weekend due to international call ups, I am guessing for Wales and the Irelands, hopefully we have sufficient players playing above that level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Got to say, touting a player for the national team because he's had a good season or so in the lower reaches of the English leagues (half of that time in League Two) comes across as classic ignorant English journalism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58897386

Don't get me wrong, we all know about Hardie, he's not someone who's come out of the blue (no pun intended), but because he's now playing at Plymouth he should be watched by Clarke?

A baffling article. The Beeb's online sport coverage all being centralised in Salford is a real problem. No commissioning editor in Scotland would think that was a good idea... 

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

If you’re still looking for an answer, Josh Magennis plays for Hull City. Kyle Magennis is the Hibs midfielder pictured. 

That and these made-up points tallies being a load of bollocks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Got to say, touting a player for the national team because he's had a good season or so in the lower reaches of the English leagues (half of that time in League Two) comes across as classic ignorant English journalism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58897386

Don't get me wrong, we all know about Hardie, he's not someone who's come out of the blue (no pun intended), but because he's now playing at Plymouth he should be watched by Clarke?

My mate Dave is from Swindon, and has scored 47 goals since 5s restarted. Why hasn't Gareth Southgate picked him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Got to say, touting a player for the national team because he's had a good season or so in the lower reaches of the English leagues (half of that time in League Two) comes across as classic ignorant English journalism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58897386

Don't get me wrong, we all know about Hardie, he's not someone who's come out of the blue (no pun intended), but because he's now playing at Plymouth he should be watched by Clarke?

It's the lazy person's way of appearing knowledgeable. I think they used to scan the Sunday People results page. It gave all the scorers way down the divisions.

Gossip would follow... "McTavish is banging them in for Mansfield, how long before big clubs and his country take notice?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Got to say, touting a player for the national team because he's had a good season or so in the lower reaches of the English leagues (half of that time in League Two) comes across as classic ignorant English journalism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58897386

Don't get me wrong, we all know about Hardie, he's not someone who's come out of the blue (no pun intended), but because he's now playing at Plymouth he should be watched by Clarke?

Plymouth are having a great season so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Wonder who Hearts are playing this weekend? Beyond parody.

 

At no point in that article does it say that Alky said he would move to Ibrox at the drop of a hat.

Its almost as if newspapers are full of shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ric said:

Got to say, touting a player for the national team because he's had a good season or so in the lower reaches of the English leagues (half of that time in League Two) comes across as classic ignorant English journalism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58897386

Don't get me wrong, we all know about Hardie, he's not someone who's come out of the blue (no pun intended), but because he's now playing at Plymouth he should be watched by Clarke?

That reeks of, "just a pub league up there, innit?"

Written by one of the Beeb's Devonshire scribes about a quote from a manager with no experience of football outside of England. He's surprised his player hasn't been called up because he's been told our players are awful.

If Hardie ends up knocking in Steve Bull numbers in the third tier, it'll probably be worth keeping an eye on him, but not from ten goals in fifteen games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Michael Stewart making a fool of himself. Again.

He really can’t help but dive in two footed to condemn without actually getting his facts straight first.

 

Edited by AJF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Michael Stewart making a fool of himself. Again.

He really can’t help but dive in two footed to condemn without actually getting his facts straight first.

 

To be fair, given recent events, it's not totally unreasonable to be a bit surprised that this tune was used. Yes, I get its been used for something more relevant to the new kits history etc, but given the words used otherwise, if folk condemn it's use, then it's sort of the Rangers fans who amended the lyrics to something more political's fault.

I put it in with the extra lines in simply the best or in flower of Scotland as crass and unnecessarily cringy. I'm sure Celtic do it too, but frankly, I can't actually tell what half of the songs they sing ate actually saying, other than to assume its some pish that is completely irrelevant to either footba or the 21st century. 

That said, Stewart is still a tube.

BTW, I really want to hate the kit because it's Rangers and the 150 years isn't right because of liquidation etc etc etc, but I actually think it is quite smart. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

To be fair, given recent events, it's not totally unreasonable to be a bit surprised that this tune was used. Yes, I get its been used for something more relevant to the new kits history etc, but given the words used otherwise, if folk condemn it's use, then it's sort of the Rangers fans who amended the lyrics to something more political's fault.

I put it in with the extra lines in simply the best or in flower of Scotland as crass and unnecessarily cringy. I'm sure Celtic do it too, but frankly, I can't actually tell what half of the songs they sing ate actually saying, other than to assume its some pish that is completely irrelevant to either footba or the 21st century. 

That said, Stewart is still a tube.

BTW, I really want to hate the kit because it's Rangers and the 150 years isn't right because of liquidation etc etc etc, but I actually think it is quite smart. 

The tune is used as the Four Lads Had a Dream song. This is sang at Ibrox every home match and is literally a song about our founders, which this strip commemorates. It is 100% the most appropriate song to use for this kit launch and viewed in the context it is intended, there is no problem with using it.

I don't think the fact the same tune is used for a different type of song should change that considering anyone with an ounce of comprehension will know why the song is being used in this promo video. This is 100% a case of Stewart being faux offended by something that is not there, otherwise he would've condemned us singing Four Lads Had a Dream at Ibrox for any of our home games following those "recent events".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a lovely looking strip, but they are trying sooooo hard to pretend 2012 didn't happen. Very IngSoc of them.

Also: "we were here before anybody else". Really? Queen's Park FC might have a word to say about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AJF said:

The tune is used as the Four Lads Had a Dream song. This is sang at Ibrox every home match and is literally a song about our founders, which this strip commemorates. It is 100% the most appropriate song to use for this kit launch and viewed in the context it is intended, there is no problem with using it.

I don't think the fact the same tune is used for a different type of song should change that considering anyone with an ounce of comprehension will know why the song is being used in this promo video. This is 100% a case of Stewart being faux offended by something that is not there, otherwise he would've condemned us singing Four Lads Had a Dream at Ibrox for any of our home games following those "recent events".

I suppose that was my point. I understand the song and its link to this kit etc, but I think it's not a surprise that people also connect the tune to the other lyrics sung to it. 100% right it would otherwise be the correct song to use, but I'd argue that like others, the true intent of the song has been in some small way ruined by others.

You would know better than me, but while 90+% percent of fans at Ibrox would sing one lyric, there will be some signing the famine song.

It's all feeding into the wider narrative of a few (others can argue on the scale) fans constantly pissing on the parade of others by constantly undermining things.

It's clever marketing by the club to be fair. As you say, the song is sung every game and can be attributed to the founders, but creates a bit of a stir due to the recent events which further increases the shirts appeal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It is a lovely looking strip, but they are trying sooooo hard to pretend 2012 didn't happen. Very IngSoc of them.

Also: "we were here before anybody else". Really? Queen's Park FC might have a word to say about that.

And Kilmarnock

And Stranraer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...