The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

43 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Where else are you shooting at? Every shot is 'on goal'.

It's not a shot on goal if it goes wide. Then it's a shot at goal that goes wide. Considering "on" is usually followed in this context with "target" - and considering some of the other nitpicks that get posted in here - I'm surprised this one's being pulled up. It seemed obviously awkwardly written as soon as I saw it.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It's not a shot on goal if it goes wide. Then it's a shot at goal that goes wide. Considering "on" is usually followed in this context with "target" - and considering some of the other nitpicks that get posted in here - I'm surprised this one's being pulled up. It seemed obviously awkwardly written as soon as I saw it.

FFS, of course it is. A shot on goal is just a synonym for a shot at goal.

More interestingly, I'm disgusted that a shot on target can only be counted as such if it's blocked by either the keeper or the last defender. What a totally shite distinction to make.

3 yards out, a couple of defenders on the line and the goalie stranded. Striker blasts it off one of the defenders' knees and away. Doesn't count as a shot on target. That's insanity! 😄

17 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

More interestingly, I'm disgusted that a shot on target can only be counted as such if it's blocked by either the keeper or the last defender. What a totally shite distinction to make.

3 yards out, a couple of defenders on the line and the goalie stranded. Striker blasts it off one of the defenders' knees and away. Doesn't count as a shot on target. That's insanity! 😄

Yip, that's the bit that struck me.

A shot that would have gone in if not blocked is surely on target, whether stopped by someone wearing gloves or otherwise.

Does a shot blocked by a defender get recorded as a shot at all then?  Suggesting it was off target seems daft, but so does pretending it didn't happen.

3 yards out, a couple of defenders on the line and the goalie stranded. Striker blasts it off one of the defenders' knees and away. Doesn't count as a shot on target. That's insanity! [emoji1]
If a shot looks like it's going wide but the goalkeeper makes a save, does that get counted as a shot off target?
Opta have a separate category for blocked shots I think.
The main broadcasters and websites don't tend to include blocked shots in their match stats so I usually just assume that any shot that isn't on target must be off target.

I know it's probably been like this for a while, but BBC just not giving a f**k about anything lower than our top flight so you can't see stats/line-ups for the Championship games and below is piss poor.

7 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I've always disliked the term 'shots on goal' anyway: everyone knows what a shot is, 'on goal' is entirely superfluous.  Just call them shots.

I think the term was originally introduced to distinguish between the occasions when John Rankin blootered the ball in the vicinity of the goal frame, and those when he blootered it towards the stand at the end his team were attacking

On 20/08/2021 at 16:00, Dons_1988 said:

This has forever been the terminology. 

If I was to go off on a statistical based complaint tangent, it’s always bothered me that hitting the post counts as on target. 

I go all 'Celtic da' when a commentator says "just about crosses the line" when the ball crosses the line.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I know it's probably been like this for a while, but BBC just not giving a f**k about anything lower than our top flight so you can't see stats/line-ups for the Championship games and below is piss poor.

You sure?

I was looking at the Cove team to see if my pal was playing and managed to see he was on the bench.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You sure?

I was looking at the Cove team to see if my pal was playing and managed to see he was on the bench.

It wasn't earlier. Having checked now, only Stenny vs Cowdenbeath is 'unclickable'.

21 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

It wasn't earlier. Having checked now, only Stenny vs Cowdenbeath is 'unclickable'.

That is extremely annoying. 

At least they list missed penalties at the top now, along with the nonsense that is "assists".

If a game is ever unclickable like that then the SPFL page is normally fine and has all the info.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn