The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I've obviously not read the story as it's the Sun, but could it not just be that they are reporting that a man who has just moved halfway round the world for a new job has now been joined by his family?

Fairly standard stuff for the rags here, even if it is utterly pointless.

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

I don't read The Sun, but I saw the backpage on the BBC gossip page.

Are they seriously running with the headline of the Celtic manager's wife attending games? It's quite something, really, not just finding the most inane aspect of the game but combining it with a bit of soft misogyny.

Classy stuff from the sun, as always.

surprised they didnt say his ''Sheila'' attended games

Edited by Meldrew

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Do they say she should be back at home doing the ironing or something?

Not explicitly but it hints at that sort of misogyny. 

56 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've obviously not read the story as it's the Sun, but could it not just be that they are reporting that a man who has just moved halfway round the world for a new job has now been joined by his family?

A fluff piece in their "lifestyle section", perhaps, not the headline to a game on the back pages. Especially when there were 3 other Scottish teams competing last night. His wife's attendance is literally the least important thing last night.

52 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

surprised they didnt say his ''Sheila'' attended games

Fun fact, well not really but still, I once knew a couple who were named Bruce and Sheila, neither of them were Australian.

14 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not explicitly but it hints at that sort of misogyny. 

A fluff piece in their "lifestyle section", perhaps, not the headline to a game on the back pages. Especially when there were 3 other Scottish teams competing last night. His wife's attendance is literally the least important thing last night.

Fun fact, well not really but still, I once knew a couple who were named Bruce and Sheila, neither of them were Australian.

but they did have a ginger son called Blue 

16 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

A friend of mine is married to a woman called May.

Their neighbour on one side is a woman called April, and the woman on the other side is called June!

Sounds like the setup for a joke, but it's a true story.

I would expect nothing less of an august chap such as yourself

This casual misogyny perpetrated by a down market tabloid towards Mrs Postecoglou cannot be condoned by any right thinking person

Spoiler

Had to google her. Wid. The OP never included a pic so he should GTF! 

12 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Quality grasp of the English language from whoever's responsible for the BBC's Rangers/Alashkert live text:

Untitled.png.2e0caffd4caaef9f7b5f92e8fd62e3d1.png

You'll have to run this one by me.

17 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How do you have an effort 'on' goal that misses the target?

You're nit-picking at best.

It might not be absolutely grammatically correct but its hardly an example of terrible journalism. You and everyone else know exactly what the person writing that has meant, there was a shot at goal and it went wide or over.

28 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How do you have an effort 'on' goal that misses the target?

This has forever been the terminology. 

If I was to go off on a statistical based complaint tangent, it’s always bothered me that hitting the post counts as on target. 

38 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This has forever been the terminology. 

If I was to go off on a statistical based complaint tangent, it’s always bothered me that hitting the post counts as on target. 

I thought it didn’t 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Oh. Has that changed? I could’ve sworn it was. It’s annoyed me for years. Maybe it’s the source of all my bitterness. 

Opta

A shot on target is defined as any goal attempt that:

• Goes into the net regardless of intent.
• Is a clear attempt to score that would have gone into the net but for being saved by the goalkeeper or is stopped by a player who is the last-man with the goalkeeper having no chance of preventing the goal (last line block).

Shots directly hitting the frame of the goal are not counted as shots on target, unless the ball goes in and is awarded as a goal.

Shots blocked by another player, who is not the last-man, are not counted as shots on target.

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

Opta

A shot on target is defined as any goal attempt that:

• Goes into the net regardless of intent.
• Is a clear attempt to score that would have gone into the net but for being saved by the goalkeeper or is stopped by a player who is the last-man with the goalkeeper having no chance of preventing the goal (last line block).

Shots directly hitting the frame of the goal are not counted as shots on target, unless the ball goes in and is awarded as a goal.

Shots blocked by another player, who is not the last-man, are not counted as shots on target.

I’ve wasted my life being angry at the world.