The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 22/07/2021 at 14:37, Clown Job said:

Maybe she was just watching the screen

4AC22B3A-7427-4DEB-ADED-73BF44716276.png

...and this morning from the England v Japan game we had "the ball into the England box" (hurriedly corrected to "GB"). They jist can't stop themselves. Don't know why that pisssssesss me off so much, but it does.

21 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

BBC not giving a shiny shit again.

462A739D-5ECB-4094-8FE7-492C66371D0A.jpeg

That's a disgrace.  That's BBC Scotland tae, not the website where a disinterested work experience kid in London (Salford?) just makes up any old pish because WGAF about the Jocks.   

18 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Worse, it was actually 3-2! 😄

Edit, well according to the official website it was. I see Fitba North has stated it was 3-1. Confuseddotcom.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

On 24/07/2021 at 20:14, resk said:

That's a disgrace.  That's BBC Scotland tae, not the website where a disinterested work experience kid in London (Salford?) just makes up any old pish because WGAF about the Jocks.   

Sunday night. Still no fucks given. Using the same graphic.

060B9273-2E86-43DF-98E4-05358746F6E2.jpeg

From the BBC website, this gem amidst an appalling Championship preview:

"Partick Thistle were relegated to League 1 in the cruellest of fashions when the pandemic struck, sport was suspended indefinitely, and formulae rather than football decided league placings."

Even if we ignore how badly punctuated it is, we're left with the content.  Thistle's relegation apparently had nothing whatever to do with football.  It's just staggering.

On 26/07/2021 at 13:31, starryfish said:

Charles Paterson following Bryan Swanson and Jim White in leaving Sky Sports in recent weeks - what's going on?

Sky sports news is just basically a 24/7 advert for games the man sports channels are plugging. Ultimately they could operate with no actual front of camera staff and it would make little difference. I doubt the channel itself makes much money, so maybe these guys have gone as part of an overall tidy up. You would be amazed at how low Sky sports news and Sky News's viewing figures are. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

"Partick Thistle were relegated to League 1 in the cruellest of fashions when the pandemic struck, sport was suspended indefinitely, and formulae rather than football decided league placings."
Even if we ignore how badly punctuated it is, we're left with the content.  Thistle's relegation apparently had nothing whatever to do with football.  It's just staggering.
Just be thankful it wasn't your own team in that position, then it would be your own fans you'd have to be embarrassed about coming out with similar nonsense.

Relegating Thistle was the fairest thing to do at that point. Hitching our wagon to Anne Budge of all folk rightly made us a laughing stock.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Just be thankful it wasn't your own team in that position, then it would be your own fans you'd have to be embarrassed about coming out with similar nonsense.

Relegating Thistle was the fairest thing to do at that point. Hitching our wagon to Anne Budge of all folk rightly made us a laughing stock.

As discussed at the time, I did have sympathy for Thistle.  They were unlucky and we were bloody fortunate.

It's the suggestion that relegating them was arbitrary or corrupt that was stupid though.  It's irritating that a 'journalist' can still imply such nonsense.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You could probably make the argument that every league table is decided by formulae, if you wanted to pull on that particular thread. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

You could probably make the argument that every league table is decided by formulae, if you wanted to pull on that particular thread. 

Indeed.    The whole thing is a construct. 

I just love the notion that Thistle were somehow relegated via the luck of some draw, rather than in relation to what had unfolded on the pitch for several months beforehand.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Indeed.    The whole thing is a construct. 

I just love the notion that Thistle were somehow relegated via the luck of some draw, rather than in relation to what had unfolded on the pitch for several months beforehand.

100%. It was a situation to absolutely be sympathetic with but you draw a line at the point people think it was some sort of premeditated injustice put upon clubs.

If I was being cynical I’d say thistle and hearts have identified this ‘siege mentality’ as a marketing tool.