Jump to content

The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread


Recommended Posts

On 15/05/2021 at 19:31, tamthebam said:

Just heard an English commentator say "Brendan Rodgers becomes the first manager to win both the FA and Scottish Cups.."

I remember a certain red nosed chap from Govan winning both trophies. Aw not pwoud, not pwoud at all...

John Cochrane was the first to achieve the feat, winning the Scottish Cup with St. Mirren in 1926 and the English FA Cup with Sunderland in 1937.

I tweeted that to Lineker to correct his error.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Consistently the very worst account on twitter dot com.

Daily Record levels of pish dot com

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Apart from Philpy.

Or magee. 

Has Magee tweeted himself into another punting, or a voluntary withdrawal? Any ideas @Flybhoy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I know the BBC Sport live text thingy is meant to be a bit more lighthearted than their usual coverage, but the thumb joke is a bit poor taste IMO.

image.png.62035302f960210420d513e977d15d36.png

Aye, agreed. I think a bit of banter about football personalities can be a good thing if it’s maybe about their actions or attributes. But making reference to a saying that ridicules his appearance should be left to the fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah stay at Rangers with their renowned world class coaching and their reputation for playing young players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

You just know that the servile bootlickers who masquerade as sports journalists up here (they are nothing of the sort mind; they are salesmen at best, click generators at worst) will proclaim how he is a Rangers 'product' or 'a product of' the Rangers youth system who have 'produced'..erm...one player that I can actually think of.

Edited by DA Baracus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

E1wb1QsXEAIVhbZ.thumb.jpg.6842bdb3d5f0f6f17cd45ad71fb86119.jpg

According to Caledonia Braves, Gilmour is a great example of why the colts teams should be allowed in the Lowland League

Edited by Bose
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Daily Record levels of pish dot com

Has Magee tweeted himself into another punting, or a voluntary withdrawal? Any ideas @Flybhoy?

I got a straight red card last month for one or fifty too many jokes about the Chooky Embra after his passing, I obviously offended a few gammons. 😎😁

Got a new account a couple of weeks ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I got a straight red card last month for one or fifty too many jokes about the Chooky Embra after his passing, I obviously offended a few gammons. 😎😁

Got a new account a couple of weeks ago. 

😄

I got a tweet deleted and 12 hours on the naughty step for asking whether the Duke had actually been a long sequel to Weekend At Bernie’s since the last time he crashed the motor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest TheJTS98
Posted (edited)

Football Weekly podcast this week pointing out that at Steve Clarke's press conference pertaining to the Scotland Euro 2020 squad he was asked the following searching and interesting questions. My suggested answers added.

"Was it hard to phone the players left out to let them know?" - No. Easy as f**k. Their pain sustains me.

"Are you happy with the balance of the squad?" - No. I'm not happy with the squad I've just spent ages picking. It's a shite squad. We're fucked and I'm happy to say so in public.

"Does it mean more to pick this squad because it's a major tournament?" - No. No big deal, really. You fucking simpleton.

What is the point of this shite? How do these charlatans get a wage?

I never had a problem with people like Strachan getting a bit wide with stupid questions from the media. Maybe if more managers did it, we might end up with some actually thoughtful and interesting questions at press conferences leading to managers and coaches saying something worth putting in a newspaper.

These journalists get away with asking pointless questions to get quotes to fill space with pointless articles. A waste of time, space, and money.

Edited by TheJTS98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

These journalists get away with asking pointless questions to get quotes to fill space with pointless articles. A waste of time, space, and money.

These nonsense questions annoy the hell out of me too. The other side of the argument is that journalists seem actively discouraged to ask a challenging or controversial question at the risk of being banned. The world of football journalism is a farce really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest TheJTS98
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Northboy said:

These nonsense questions annoy the hell out of me too. The other side of the argument is that journalists seem actively discouraged to ask a challenging or controversial question at the risk of being banned. The world of football journalism is a farce really.

I think it's a fair point that these questions just reflect the culture of journalism. Don't rock the boat, be mates with everyone with any kind of influence, get 'stories' that are easy to hang a formulaic tabloid article around.

But I'm not suggesting they ask aggressive gotcha questions. Just interesting ones. In this instance maybe go a bit deeper about what he knows about our opponents and how that influenced his choices in specific areas. Maybe get him to identify a couple of players he thought were unluckiest to miss out and explain his thinking. Is there a recent tournament side he thinks we can learn valuable things from?

Whatever. Just questions that make him tell us things we might not already know. You or I could have answered those three questions for Clarke and the write-up would have been just the same as what he said. It's absolutely pitiful journalism to have access to the national team manager and ask him three questions that a member of the public could easily predict his answers to.

It's been discussed on here before, but a combination of the loss of status for sports journalism diluting the talent pool and the village mentality of everyone knowing each other has left Scotland with a really poor quality of football media.

Edited by TheJTS98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think it's a fair point that these questions just reflect the culture of journalism. Don't rock the boat, be mates with everyone with any kind of influence, get 'stories' that are easy to hang a formulaic tabloid article around.

I think that's true, particularly in sports and entertainment journalism .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Football Weekly podcast this week pointing out that at Steve Clarke's press conference pertaining to the Scotland Euro 2020 squad he was asked the following searching and interesting questions. My suggested answers added.

"Was it hard to phone the players left out to let them know?" - No. Easy as f**k. Their pain sustains me.

"Are you happy with the balance of the squad?" - No. I'm not happy with the squad I've just spent ages picking. It's a shite squad. We're fucked and I'm happy to say so in public.

"Does it mean more to pick this squad because it's a major tournament?" - No. No big deal, really. You fucking simpleton.

They picked that up from Max Rushden who was doing coverage for TalkSport at the time. When they went back to the studio, he absolutely tore the interviewers apart. 

"Do you think you have a chance of qualifying out of the group?" Probably not. 

He made bit of an apology to Scottish reporters saying he knows it isn't easy, but he was absolutely bang on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...