The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

41 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It is truly stunning that The Scotsman has published that.  I can only guess that it's an attempt to achieve 'balance' having offered the Andrew Smith piece earlier.

Highlights include not really being interested in football, but being a Rangers fan anyway. I also liked the ludicrous shoe horning in of his brother's story, and let's not forget the references to an "inflated tax bill".  I genuinely don't know if he mentions Craig Whyte's acquittal as a stitch up, or as evidence of the club being unfairly targeted in the first place.

An ignorant, dishonest and nasty little article, penned by someone who clearly shares its characteristics.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Jesus f**k that is a mess.

No surprise, I suppose, it is the Hootsman after all.

From someone who claims to have Rangers leanings but rarely attending games, he goes on to throw out every excuse possible other than "of course, the real people to blame are the Rangers fans who fought and trashed the place". Instead throwing out excuse after excuse, contrived mitigation after contrived mitigation moving onto "they other side are just as bad" only to end on the "it doesn't matter what you think, there are generations of inbred hatred and that's something that should be applauded rather than condemned".

The only good thing here is that my adblocker is stopping me viewing the comments, God forbid what sort of toxic mess those are.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

B1.JPG.8d7c2ef6c74ee9cd89878eb1fc7c1603.JPGB2.JPG.b7c7a80b2b170532e339c6d438e2389b.JPG
B3.JPG.d881a9dfcc7d058d6d4db8dfa6ee5f75.JPG
B4.JPG.da5c3090008d6101cba5fe63214a7e87.JPG

What grade are Brechin transferring to instead?

Juniors?

Amateurs?

Welfare?

Schools?

This bit too "Brechin became part of the Scottish Football League in 1954 ", is nonsense too. They came into the league in 1923, and although they didn't stay permanently in the system, they were in then out for many years prior to 1954.

Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

This bit too "Brechin became part of the Scottish Football League in 1954 ", is nonsense too. They came into the league in 1923, and although they didn't stay permanently in the system, they were in then out for many years prior to 1954.

Sportsound was worse... they claimed 114yrs.

Brechin were founded 1906 (actualy 115yrs ago)... joined SFL in 1923 (old Third Division), dropped-out 1926, returned 1929, mothballed during WWII, promoted from old C Division in 1954.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I went to check this and you'll be pleased to know they've deleted the tweet which said senior and the first few mentions of senior in that article :thumsup2 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57132097

Aye, the tweet was deleted and the article has been partially corrected.  I say "partially" ....  "And, 46 years on from being founded, former Fife juniors Kelty will become one of Scotland's senior clubs, with Brechin expected to join the Highland League.  For former Scotland and Rangers captain Ferguson, it is a return to senior club management after an earlier spell with Clyde."  

It's....um.... does anyone at the BBC actually understand the structure of Scottish fitba?  

Edited by resk

19 hours ago, resk said:

Aye, the tweet was deleted and the article has been partially corrected.  I say "partially" ....  "And, 46 years on from being founded, former Fife juniors Kelty will become one of Scotland's senior clubs, with Brechin expected to join the Highland League.  For former Scotland and Rangers captain Ferguson, it is a return to senior club management after an earlier spell with Clyde."  

It's....um.... does anyone at the BBC actually understand the structure of Scottish fitba?

If you surveyed their presenters and pundits I'd be confident that less than half would properly know about Highland and Lowland under SPFL2; and perhaps a tenth would properly know about East of Scotland, West of Scotland etc. under that. You wouldn't expect them all to be well-versed: but the fact almost none has the faintest idea is evident come Scottish Cup time. I think that's partly down to many personaliities being from in and around Glasgow so maybe it'll improve now Clydebank, Pollok, Auchinleck etc. are in senior pyramid.

When the pyramid is mentioned it isn't at all uncommon for them to assume the Lowland is the very bottom. It's also clear many of them don't know the East and West juniors are defunct. (Then again even their knowledge of junior football seemed stuck in a timewarp... Kilwinning, Whitburn or Tayport are often go-to examples).

Consternation was frequently expressed in 2019 over how could Berwick possibly take Cove's place in HL.

Just as bad on terminology: and not simply using "senior" when they actually mean "SPFL" or "the Scottish league". How often do you still hear them saying "the SPL" or "Premier League"... or calling the top division "the SPFL"... or my personal favourite "the SPL Premiership"?

During their radio coverage yesterday the main commentator repeatedly talked about Brechin dropping out of "the Scottish Football League". It has been defunct for 8 years!

Edited by HibeeJibee

Just fired this off to the BBC - "The article on Kelty Rangers beating Brechin City is a total joke. Brechin did NOT join the Scottish League in 1954, they were members of the old Division Three between 1923-26 and Division Two between 1929-39, mothballed during the Second World War, and associate members (being in C Division) from 1947 to being promoted in 1954.
Kelty are NOT joining the senior leagues - they already played in a senior league, the Lowland League is a senior league (as are The Highland League, the EoSl, the WosL and the SoSL).
Barry Ferguson did NOT change grades when appointed Kelty's manager, he was still manger of a senior team.
As a matter of interest, what level of football does BBC Scotland think the Lowland and Highland Leagues - and associated feeders - play at?
Is it too much to expect that articles such as these are written by someone with a modicum of knowledge of Scotland's pyramid structure, or proof read by someone who has."

Seething, etc

Edited by Jacksgranda

Here's the reply I got - Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments. We appreciate all the feedback we receive as it plays an important role in helping to shape our decisions. 

This is an automated message (sorry that we can’t reply individually) to let you know that we’ve read your comments and will report them overnight to staff across the BBC for them to read too (after removing any personal details). This includes our programme makers, commissioning editors and senior management. 

Thanks again for contacting the BBC. 

BBC Audience Services. 

BBC sports page covering the Killie Dundee game has Naismith as:

Steven Naismith

Hearts captain & former Kilmarnock forward on BBC Sportsound

Fair enough but they have McCann as:

Neil McCann

Former Hearts & Rangers winger on BBC Sportsound

Factually correct but surely former Dundee player and manager would be more relevant.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Just fired this off to the BBC - "The article on Kelty Rangers beating Brechin City is a total joke. Brechin did NOT join the Scottish League in 1954, they were members of the old Division Three between 1923-26 and Division Two between 1929-39, mothballed during the Second World War, and associate members (being in C Division) from 1947 to being promoted in 1954.
Kelty are NOT joining the senior leagues - they already played in a senior league, the Lowland League is a senior league (as are The Highland League, the EoSl, the WosL and the SoSL).
Barry Ferguson did NOT change grades when appointed Kelty's manager, he was still manger of a senior team.
As a matter of interest, what level of football does BBC Scotland think the Lowland and Highland Leagues - and associated feeders - play at?
Is it too much to expect that articles such as these are written by someone with a modicum of knowledge of Scotland's pyramid structure, or proof read by someone who has."

Seething, etc

Love the wee dig at Tom English there.