Jump to content
Ludo*1

The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, ropy said:

I know it’s not a welcome view from the Women but full size goals means a speculative lob is likely to go in.  Maybe it is different at a world class level but in SWPL games you get 11-0 results.  Compare Hibs goalie on Saturday to the 5 foot 2 girls that defend the same size goals.

The average height of a current female goalkeeper is the same as the average height of a male goalkeeper was when the dimensions of the goals were added to the laws of the game. I also strongly suspect that current female goalkeepers are more athletic and agile than their historic male counterparts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

The average height of a current female goalkeeper is the same as the average height of a male goalkeeper was when the dimensions of the goals were added to the laws of the game. I also strongly suspect that current female goalkeepers are more athletic and agile than their historic male counterparts.

I stongly suspect that you haven't watched many games of womens football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ropy said:

I know it’s not a welcome view from the Women but full size goals means a speculative lob is likely to go in.  Maybe it is different at a world class level but in SWPL games you get 11-0 results.  Compare Hibs goalie on Saturday to the 5 foot 2 girls that defend the same size goals.

Surely the drubbings that are handed out are more to do with the limited pool of good players all playing for the same 3 or 4 teams and the other teams being made up of massively inferior players?

On the subject of size of goals, thats surely something for those within women's football to decide rather than people who follow mens football and just compare the two directly? I have no idea if women in the game want smaller goals or not, but if playing with regular sized goals means more goals and more long range efforts that can be shared on social media it could mean they attract more fans who want to see such goals? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Herald's "Sports Quiz" today... 

Question 4. "Rangers FC beat Celtic FC 2-0 to win the Scottish Cup earlier this month for the first time since which year?"

That'll be the Glasgow Herald - the tournament ends when the last of them goes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, House Bartender said:

The Herald's "Sports Quiz" today... 

Question 4. "Rangers FC beat Celtic FC 2-0 to win the Scottish Cup earlier this month for the first time since which year?"

That'll be the Glasgow Herald - the tournament ends when the last of them goes out.

Michty me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another month another journo thinking everything below the SPFL isn't senior football

The offending bit in question:
 

Quote


Famous hedge or not, Brechin have no divine right to stay in senior football. While they can still save themselves on the pitch they don’t want to take chances.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Aye, it used to annoy me when Edinburgh City were in the East of Scotland League and we got described as amateurs when playing in Scottish Cup.games.

We hadn't been amateurs since 1949 although our treasurer would have been happier if we were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

 

"Sunday mail chief football writer"

He's played what... 5 games in a year in the Championship?

Peppino Impastato finally unmasked

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

 

"Sunday mail chief football writer"

He's played what... 5 games in a year in the Championship?

"Please buy our paper, anyone, for fucks sake, cash, card or cheque.  There, I've said it".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure even John souttar would have himself in the euros squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

 

"Sunday mail chief football writer"

He's played what... 5 games in a year in the Championship?

The most baffling bit is this belief he's the "best footballing defender in Scotland".

A myth built up when he was 17, when amongst a sea of clogging 40yo men he was actually running with the ball, that lingers on to this day when everyone, including Scottish football, has moved on, yet Souttar still remains a CB who can't defend but likes to trundle up the park every so often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only surprised after Souttar's name being mentioned that Pep isn't already here calling everyone else idiots and/or throwing about transphobic abuse.

Edited by Rodhull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The most baffling bit is this belief he's the "best footballing defender in Scotland".

A myth built up when he was 17, when amongst a sea of clogging 40yo men he was actually running with the ball, that lingers on to this day when everyone, including Scottish football, has moved on, yet Souttar still remains a CB who can't defend but likes to trundle up the park every so often.

His brother has a better chance of a call up than him. (By all accounts has done very well this year) That says it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

His brother has a better chance of a call up than him. (By all accounts has done very well this year) That says it all.

You mean Australia international Harry Souttar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

You mean Australia international Harry Souttar?

Didn't think he'd actually been capped but I guess you worked that out for yourself.

Not that I follow his career extremely closely.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Didn't think he'd actually been capped but I guess you worked that out for yourself.

Not that I follow his career extremely closely.

I just saw "Souttar" popping up as a scorer for Australia on the old Fotmob and checked it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The most baffling bit is this belief he's the "best footballing defender in Scotland".

A myth built up when he was 17, when amongst a sea of clogging 40yo men he was actually running with the ball, that lingers on to this day when everyone, including Scottish football, has moved on, yet Souttar still remains a CB who can't defend but likes to trundle up the park every so often.

What is "footballing defender" supposed to mean? Are there footballers who play as a defender who aren't... er, footballing? Can you play defence in football without footballing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

What is "footballing defender" supposed to mean? Are there footballers who play as a defender who aren't... er, footballing? Can you play defence in football without footballing?

He's "comfortable on the ball", and a "great passer", which for a CB is the equivalent of "good laugh"/"great personality".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

 

"Sunday mail chief football writer"

He's played what... 5 games in a year in the Championship?

That's as bad a comment as Peter Martin's on Ryan Gauld on his PLZ "show".

 

"He's played mostly 2nd division football"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...