Jump to content
Ludo*1

The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

"I'm not too happy over that and I'm not sure Steve Clarke will be very happy as well," said Gerrard.

"Because, unfortunately, he's going to have a big ban now."

"You're talking about one of the brightest prospects ever in terms of right-back. This kid is going to go and play for Scotland and all of a sudden the SFA wants to ban him for that long. I don't get it."

You could argue about what he actually meant I suppose but it's a terrible argument for how to run a disciplinary process at the very least.

Of course, it might have something to do with how past Scotland caps have thrown the dummy out the pram regarding representing their country when the SFA impose match bans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think he gets a bit of a bye ball 'cos he's a Scouser.

Well he got away with assault even though it had been captured on CCTV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBC breakfast just informed me that Queen of the south knocked hearts out in the last round of the Scottish cup, but couldn’t get past hibs. 

ETA:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55776818

This minter of a quote from the above:

With the lack of an Edinburgh derby on the fixture list, one way for Hibs fans to get one over their capital rivals Hearts was to put away the side that had defeated their Championship neighbours 3-2 just over a week ago.

 

Edited by Dons_1988

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Well he got away with assault even though it had been captured on CCTV.

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

BBC breakfast just informed me that Queen of the south knocked hearts out in the last round of the Scottish cup, but couldn’t get past hibs. 

ETA:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55776818

This minter of a quote from the above:

With the lack of an Edinburgh derby on the fixture list, one way for Hibs fans to get one over their capital rivals Hearts was to put away the side that had defeated their Championship neighbours 3-2 just over a week ago.

 

It was in the league, but nowhere in the article does it claim it was in the cup.

CBE1B163-0CB7-4765-86EE-9EB388DF3B6F.jpeg.e16224bfe5e7279c035bd9d6d0a87ec4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Funky Nosejob said:

It was in the league, but nowhere in the article does it claim it was in the cup.

CBE1B163-0CB7-4765-86EE-9EB388DF3B6F.jpeg.e16224bfe5e7279c035bd9d6d0a87ec4.jpeg

Aye, that was my reading of it too, but it was a bit ambiguously written, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

It was in the league, but nowhere in the article does it claim it was in the cup.

CBE1B163-0CB7-4765-86EE-9EB388DF3B6F.jpeg.e16224bfe5e7279c035bd9d6d0a87ec4.jpeg

Sorry, I should be clear.

- The UK BBC breakfast sports bulletin on tv claimed QotS knocked out Hearts in the previosu round

- Separately, I read the linked report and just thought the quote re Hibs motivation in the cup being to get one over Hearts by beating them was cringey/nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Sorry, I should be clear.

- The UK BBC breakfast sports bulletin on tv claimed QotS knocked out Hearts in the previosu round

- Separately, I read the linked report and just thought the quote re Hibs motivation in the cup being to get one over Hearts by beating them was cringey/nonsense.

Fair enough. No excuses for the tv bulletin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think the point that is clumsily being made by Gerrard is that in the context of what actually happened (5 lads from the club and their partners playing a game of Monopoly), a six game ban is disproportionate when compared to other rule breakers this season. Jones and Edmundson had a party with a pile of Glasgow influencers, trying to get their hole in the process, and only got one game more. Bolingoli actually left the country, got his end away, went back into training and shared a pitch with another club when he was most likely to be infectious and got a game less. You can argue the toss on which is more severe because there’s an element of subjectivity to interpreting these rules, but I don’t think it’s ridiculous to hold the opinion that one of those infractions is significantly less severe than the other two, yet the punishments don’t reflect that.
The bit about damaging career prospects etc. I don’t really get. Though I’ve said for a while now on here that Gerrard rates Patterson very highly, so it’s interesting to see that reflected in his comments
 

Breaking rules to play Monopoly deserves a bigger ban than breaking rules trying to get your hole imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:


Breaking rules to play Monopoly deserves a bigger ban than breaking rules trying to get your hole imo.

What about trying to get your hole off your missus through a game of Monopoly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, G51 said:

What about trying to get your hole off your missus through a game of Monopoly?

You too, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary Murray and Angus Smith. Clipping from the Glasgow Herald here. Their forenames aren't in the clipping but I've read those in from elsewhere.

 

How about that for journalism on the Hearts story? Just noticed it under the reference to the  question about Clyde game scorers....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What about trying to get your hole off your missus through a game of Monopoly?

Have they changed some of the "Chance?" cards in recent years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2021 at 09:00, Jacksgranda said:

You too, eh?

Not me, I landed on Sent to Coventry Street with the old boot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2021 at 08:24, Funky Nosejob said:

Fair enough. No excuses for the tv bulletin. 

It's from Ingerlund. Big knowledge of the Scotch football thereaboots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2021 at 08:56, G51 said:

What about trying to get your hole off your missus through a game of Monopoly?

You could always try a bit of flattery.

 

E977815A-3670-449D-A05E-DB5FFF5AD12C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

BBC Scotland Sport Home Page.  Am I missing something Scottish sport related here?

image.thumb.png.2aae2d1e79ec9f74e863aeb362c404d0.png

That's BBC basically saying shame on you for looking at sports news on a day like today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

BBC Scotland Sport Home Page.  Am I missing something Scottish sport related here?

image.thumb.png.2aae2d1e79ec9f74e863aeb362c404d0.png

Well they say “palace”, so maybe it was Crystal Palace who made the announcement? 
 

Can’t wait to see the mental gymnastics performed by fawning commentators at the weekend when they describe the inevitable minutes silence for Prince Phillip followed by the taking of the knee anti-racism protests though... 

Edited by Junior_Arab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He did go to Creamery Park, Bathgate Thistle's ground once.

 

 

 

OK it was because his helicopter was forced to land there but it counts...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...