Jump to content

The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread


Recommended Posts

Just listening to Ally McCoist on Radio Ulster talking about "Rangers getting put down to the bottom league." 

Just for balance we then had John Hartson tying himself in knots justifying why there should be no guard of honour at the next Celtic v Rangers game. Talked about "four quadruple trebles".

Edited by Jacksgranda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/03/2021 at 07:27, true_rover said:
On 10/03/2021 at 07:25, craigkillie said:
The phrase "The Banter Years" is not exclusive to Pie and Bovril.

According to Tom English it was a Celtic fans thing...

Someone should tell him it refers to Hearts under Ann Budges stewardship...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Just listening to Ally McCoist on Radio Ulster talking about "Rangers getting put down to the bottom league." 

Just for balance we then had John Hartson tying himself in knots justifying why there should be no guard of honour at the next Celtic v Rangers game. Talked about "four quadruple trebles".

I'd imagine that any bar he owned wouldn't be in business too long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, G51 said:

This might be an all-timer for those of us who enjoy it when the press mistakes correlation for causation.

 

 

In the streets?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, G51 said:

This might be an all-timer for those of us who enjoy it when the press mistakes correlation for causation.

 

 

Clickbait for the facebook mouthbreathers that one - and its made worse because those areas (badly hit tho the are) are not the worst hit - iirc Inverclyde (for one) has had a worse death rate...............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Having seen the guy try to defend it on Twitter, it's not clickbait, he's just quite thick and doesn't understand it.

I was at uni with him and he was an arse back then. Seems things haven't changed. Nicola Sturgeon getting stuck into his Pestonesque questioning technique during her daily briefings has been one of my highlights of lockdown.

Refuse to click his link (and it'll be behind a paywall anyway) but how is he claiming football stadiums are responsible for a rise in cases when they've been shut to fans for a year?

Edited by Stu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

I was at uni with him and he was an arse back then. Seems things haven't changed. Nicola Sturgeon getting stuck into his Pestonesque questioning technique during her daily briefings has been one of my highlights of lockdown.

Refuse to click his link (and it'll be behind a paywall anyway) but how is he claiming football stadiums are responsible for a rise in cases when they've been shut to fans for a year?

Because they hosted games right at the very start of the pandemic, basically. Even though Parkhead last hosted a game with fans when there were a total of 7 confirmed cases in Scotland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/03/2021 at 09:52, Flash said:

I know it isn’t that important but he might have got his facts right concerning the Challenge Cup. He says “Then they lost in the Challenge Cup final to Raith Rovers. The season after that they lost in the Challenge Cup semi-final to Queen of the South”.
They lost to Queens in the season before they lost to Raith Rovers. And it was the quarter-final. 

BBC influence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Not sure this quite gets into the terrible camp but still typical BBC. 

Referring to John Hughes as the formal Hibs manager while he's commentating on the Inverness & Raith game... 🤦‍♂️

I’m just amazed they didn’t call him the former Celtic centre half

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Certainly not a bit of "terrible journalism", but I'd thought I would add this in here just to have a chuckle at it..

Gp3zNmO.png

It's from the Dundee Courier, of course. I'd seen on the English section of the BBC Football website, it had the headline "ex-Newcastle player appointed Aberdeen boss" which also gave me a chuckle thinking that they needed to do that in order to get the English interested, despite him playing only a few years of his career at Newcastle.

The Courier headline reminded me of the (sadly) urban myth of the P&J headline claiming "North East man dies at sea" when reporting the Titanic sinking.

Edited by Ric
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/03/2021 at 20:56, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Not sure this quite gets into the terrible camp but still typical BBC. 

Referring to John Hughes as the formal Hibs manager while he's commentating on the Inverness & Raith game... 🤦‍♂️

So who's the informal one?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Certainly not a bit of "terrible journalism", but I'd thought I would add this in here just to have a chuckle at it..

Gp3zNmO.png

It's from the Dundee Courier, of course. I'd seen on the English section of the BBC Football website, it had the headline "ex-Newcastle player appointed Aberdeen boss" which also gave me a chuckle thinking that they needed to do that in order to get the English interested, despite him playing only a few years of his career at Newcastle.

The Courier headline reminded me of the (sadly) urban myth of the P&J headline claiming "North East man dies at sea" when reporting the Titanic sinking.

I used the same example in a text to a few of my friends this morning when I saw the Courier headline on the BBC website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/03/2021 at 16:00, Ric said:

Certainly not a bit of "terrible journalism", but I'd thought I would add this in here just to have a chuckle at it..

Gp3zNmO.png

It's from the Dundee Courier, of course. I'd seen on the English section of the BBC Football website, it had the headline "ex-Newcastle player appointed Aberdeen boss" which also gave me a chuckle thinking that they needed to do that in order to get the English interested, despite him playing only a few years of his career at Newcastle.

The Courier headline reminded me of the (sadly) urban myth of the P&J headline claiming "North East man dies at sea" when reporting the Titanic sinking.

Reminds me of the Ayrshire Advertiser in November
"Ayrshire businessman loses Presidential Election"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...