The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Certainly not a bit of "terrible journalism", but I'd thought I would add this in here just to have a chuckle at it..

Gp3zNmO.png

It's from the Dundee Courier, of course. I'd seen on the English section of the BBC Football website, it had the headline "ex-Newcastle player appointed Aberdeen boss" which also gave me a chuckle thinking that they needed to do that in order to get the English interested, despite him playing only a few years of his career at Newcastle.

The Courier headline reminded me of the (sadly) urban myth of the P&J headline claiming "North East man dies at sea" when reporting the Titanic sinking.

Edited by Ric

On 12/03/2021 at 20:56, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Not sure this quite gets into the terrible camp but still typical BBC. 

Referring to John Hughes as the formal Hibs manager while he's commentating on the Inverness & Raith game... 🤦‍♂️

So who's the informal one?

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Certainly not a bit of "terrible journalism", but I'd thought I would add this in here just to have a chuckle at it..

Gp3zNmO.png

It's from the Dundee Courier, of course. I'd seen on the English section of the BBC Football website, it had the headline "ex-Newcastle player appointed Aberdeen boss" which also gave me a chuckle thinking that they needed to do that in order to get the English interested, despite him playing only a few years of his career at Newcastle.

The Courier headline reminded me of the (sadly) urban myth of the P&J headline claiming "North East man dies at sea" when reporting the Titanic sinking.

I used the same example in a text to a few of my friends this morning when I saw the Courier headline on the BBC website.

On 24/03/2021 at 16:00, Ric said:

Gp3zNmO.png

Reminds me of the Ayrshire Advertiser in November
"Ayrshire businessman loses Presidential Election"

Absolute shocker of a "rent-a-quote" story by the Record...

BSu7YD6.png

Gillespie, who has never played in Scotland, or managed any team what so ever, tips Keane for Celtic on the basis that he played in the same United team as him 25 years ago!

25 minutes ago, Ric said:

Absolute shocker of a "rent-a-quote" story by the Record...

BSu7YD6.png

Gillespie, who has never played in Scotland, or managed any team what so ever, tips Keane for Celtic on the basis that he played in the same United team as him 25 years ago!

I bet you part of the quote is “he’s a winner” 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I bet you part of the quote is “he’s a winner” 

It's even weaker sauce than that...  "He's a big name", "he's a pundit so he must know what he's talking about" and "he's played under both Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough".

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's even weaker sauce than that...  "He's a big name", "he's a pundit so he must know what he's talking about" and "he's played under both Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough".

Ben Thornley played under Alex Ferguson

On the BBC site, there's a quiz on the Scotland line up when we played Israel in 2018.  It starts with this line and it forms the premise for the whole piece:

"Before October 2018, Scotland had never played Israel in an international football match."

It's just ludicrous.  How does this stuff get written in the first place, never mind elude an editorial scalpel?

It's somewhat mind boggling. When I post a stat on here I always check it first because a) I'll rightfully get shit if I'm wrong and b) I have some pride in my accuracy and don't want a reputation for talking pish.
How does the media manage to accumulate so many employees who clearly don't give a f**k?

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's somewhat mind boggling. When I post a stat on here I always check it first because a) I'll rightfully get shit if I'm wrong and b) I have some pride in my accuracy and don't want a reputation for talking pish.
How does the media manage to accumulate so many employees who clearly don't give a f**k?

Fortunately, someone has belatedly given enough of a f**k to change it.  There are no longer any mentions of the 2018 game being the sides' first ever competitive meeting.

It’s a minor thing, but pish like this annoys me:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56472932

_117740667_gettyimages-1229673773.jpg

The photo at the top of the page has Scott McKenna in it who didn’t play tonight. It’s a photo from the previous game in November.

Just laziness and I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t do the same thing for an England game.

Edited by eez-eh