The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Tom English' new shtick is being a modern day James Traynor. The more controversy he courts, the better he seems to think he is at his job.

He's the lowest of the low in Scottish media and when that includes the incompetence of Pat Bonnar and staunchness of Graham Spiers that's saying a lot.

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tom English' new shtick is being a modern day James Traynor. The more controversy he courts, the better he seems to think he is at his job.

He's the lowest of the low in Scottish media and when that includes the incompetence of Pat Bonnar and staunchness of Graham Spiers that's saying a lot.

Which is fine if you work for a rag newspaper - not if you work for a tax funded media organisation. 

That SHOULD require professional, fact based journalism instead of jumped up attention seeking clickbait behaviour. Yes I know that's not going to come from the bbc 😂 

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

And job done.

He's fucked it by referencing the guys race in the original comments IMO.

Hopefully this sees him punted, he's been a mess for the past year.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This won't even make a newspaper nevermind see him punted!

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

It is a bit odd that United have a 17 year old boy doing their analyst work no matter where he's from but I think he's more getting at it being strange that someone so far away is doing it rather than specifically from India or anything to do with race. It would be just as weird if a 17 year old white guy here was doing analyst work for a club in India.

9 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

It is a bit odd that United have a 17 year old boy doing their analyst work no matter where he's from but I think he's more getting at it being strange that someone so far away is doing it rather than specifically from India or anything to do with race. It would be just as weird if a 17 year old white guy here was doing analyst work for a club in India.

It's not that weird that an analyst is being paid to analyse.

On 30/01/2021 at 22:05, Merkland Red said:

You are aware you interjected yourself in to a discussion I had hours ago with "I couldn't give a toss about the exposure our game receives out Scotland" yeah?

This is despite the fact I never mentioned outside Scotland. I mentioned the neutral viewer.

I'd imagine how much viewers the matches themselves receive would be pretty relevant come contract renewal time. This in turn affects the money the club's receive.

If you can disprove that then go ahead. If you disagree then I couldn't really care.

This back and forth could go on a while...

10 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The way he's worded it makes it seem really bad though.

He's emphasised the Indian part of it, asking why Scottish folk are losing their job due to cost cutting yet an Indian is keeping his job.

It's wild stuff.

He’s effectively the work experience boy and is doing a bit of paid work as part of a team. As Steve Grieve, the head of the department at the club said yesterday, we have two Scottish guys and a young American also helping.

The young guy reached out to Grieve, they had a discussion and he now does a bit of work for the club. Grieve worked in India for a while so maybe wanted to give someone from there a chance at gaining a bit of experience.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

He’s effectively the work experience boy and is doing a bit of paid work as part of a team. As Steve Grieve, the head of the department at the club said yesterday, we have two Scottish guys and a young American also helping.

The young guy reached out to Grieve, they had a discussion and he now does a bit of work for the club. Grieve worked in India for a while so maybe wanted to give someone from there a chance at gaining a bit of experience.

From the tweet that Tom quoted it looked as if United were getting all of their analysis from a 17 yr old and basing their tactics on his data.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Edited by bennett

3 hours ago, bennett said:

From the tweet that Tom quoted it looked as if United were getting all of their analysis from a 17 yr old and basing their tactics on his data.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Here's Steve Grieve's tweet last night about it

17 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Far be it for me to defend Tom English, but my initial thoughts were that he was surprised that the club were forking out for this kind of expense whilst hoovering up donations from the fans and generally being rooked. English has got previous this season for being critical of United, calling out the signing of McNulty etc.

14 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Far be it for me to defend Tom English, but my initial thoughts were that he was surprised that the club were forking out for this kind of expense whilst hoovering up donations from the fans and generally being rooked. English has got previous this season for being critical of United, calling out the signing of McNulty etc.

Investing in an analytics department and listening to it can stop you buying duds.

It's actually a money saver if you use it.

28 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

I can't imagine employing a 17 year old to work remotely from India is bursting the bank.