The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Leckie is a St Mirren fan and has always backed the club when it came to battles between us (and other smaller clubs) versus the OF, so I've always had a bit of respect for him for that, but by sweet mother of God did nobody proof read that before publication? He's clearly set out to make a point, a point I don't necessarily agree with, but one with a certain bit of validity. Personally I think retaining the tired old and tedious hacks like Thompson and Nicholas is the disservice and we need to move onto newer blood and fresher opinions. You can always debate the quality of that replacement as much as you can debate those being replaced, but to sum it up as some sort of social wokeness and racial equality is undermining any validity he may have had and begins to sound like someone's mental uncle who rants on Facebook about everything being too PC or how it's all about quotas. We've all seen Cowan stray into these sorts of murky waters without realising, but Leckie here has not only dived in head first he's doing the backstroke in the stuff.

I think there's a grain of truth in Leckie's article in that Sky do genuinely just serve up any old shite and the Arsenal TV lot are dreadful, but the way he put it across was horrendous and equally more cringeworthy was the virtue signalling of the likes of Phil Thompson and trying to hold him up as someone that offers quality insight.

And then, the final paragraph which was where he just dived off the deep end is just fucking awful.

35 minutes ago, Ric said:

Leckie is a St Mirren fan and has always backed the club when it came to battles between us (and other smaller clubs) versus the OF, so I've always had a bit of respect for him for that, but by sweet mother of God did nobody proof read that before publication? He's clearly set out to make a point, a point I don't necessarily agree with, but one with a certain bit of validity. Personally I think retaining the tired old and tedious hacks like Thompson and Nicholas is the disservice and we need to move onto newer blood and fresher opinions. You can always debate the quality of that replacement as much as you can debate those being replaced, but to sum it up as some sort of social wokeness and racial equality is undermining any validity he may have had and begins to sound like someone's mental uncle who rants on Facebook about everything being too PC or how it's all about quotas. We've all seen Cowan stray into these sorts of murky waters without realising, but Leckie here has not only dived in head first he's doing the backstroke in the stuff.

Im pretty sure he got outed years ago as a rangers fan on five live when the presenter said about being a Rangers fan and he said something like I’d rather you didn't say that. 

Edited by gannonball

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Im pretty sure he got outed years ago as a rangers fan on five live when the presenter said about being a Rangers fan and he said something like I’d rather you didn't say that. 

He may exist in one of those superposition-like states, similar to Chick Young, but I can assure you he was certainly a St Mirren fan (as in attending games) for decades. Whether that's changed now, I honestly couldn't say, I've not read anything of his for at least 5-7 years and maybe more.

Edit: ..from wikipedia - "He grew up in the Foxbar area and was a childhood fan of local team St.Mirren as explained in his book Penthouse and Pavement (1999)"

Edited by Ric

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

He may exist in one of those superposition-like states, similar to Chick Young, but I can assure you he was certainly a St Mirren fan (as in attending games) for decades. Whether that's changed now, I honestly couldn't say, I've not read anything of his for at least 5-7 years and maybe more.

Edit: ..from wikipedia - "He grew up in the Foxbar area and was a childhood fan of local team St.Mirren as explained in his book Penthouse and Pavement (1999)"

Thats fair enough when I tried to google to see if there was a clip it was  just forums (not just celtic ones) talking about it from about13 years ago. Tbh regardless of who he supports I found him to be a terrible terrible journalist.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Thats fair enough when I tried to google to see if there was a clip it was  just forums (not just celtic ones) talking about it from about13 years ago. Tbh regardless of who he supports I found him to be a terrible terrible journalist.

Remember it's Scotland, if you support a "wee team" you _must_ also support a "big team". The flavour of "big team" you're attributed to is in the context of whoever is making that claim.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Remember it's Scotland, if you support a "wee team" you _must_ also support a "big team". The flavour of "big team" you're attributed to is in the context of whoever is making that claim.

Yeah, it just would be strange to not correct somebody if they thought you were a fan of different club though. I must admit the likes of Traynor doesn't help this pish claiming to an ‘Airdrie’ fan for god knows how many years. 

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Yeah that didn't happen.

Hopefully Flex has the following to get Leckie binned. I will take great personal not from that.

As for supporting the cause of wee teams. I'll cite my Johnson/Brexit analogy again. He set himself up as the "oppsition" to the ess pee ell in a blatant career move.

I was going to say he was a complete cūnt but that would be unfair to complete cūnts.

Just now, G51 said:

Given his own track record on analysis, he might have been better staying quiet.

Not sure many predicted Duffy would be quite as cartoonish as he has been.

Going full yer da on what was nothing more than an interesting article on a young analyst is very strange behaviour from BBC Scotland's chief.

42 minutes ago, G51 said:

Tom English... does it again!

What a p***k.

The notion of remote working confuses Tom because they live abroad. Somehow I'm not shocked.

Who's going to explain to him thats going to become even more normal even when things return to "normal". Businesses have realised people can work remotely without problem. 

It really does stink of that Old boys club stuck in their ways stuff. 

He's got the attention he wants so I guess he'll be happy enough.

Boy hes criticising will be an analyst at a top club by the end of this decade, so hopefully he's not too bothered about what a old man yelling at clouds is saying.