The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Even when Rugby Tam was (rightly) laying in to us after 2012 I thought he was excellent value and I'd happily share a bloody cote de boeuf and a bottle of claret with him as he's clearly a red meat and red wine sort of bloke.

Mikey Stewart though?  He's far too colourless for a man of your stature.  He'd have whatever the modern equivalent of "chicken in a basket and a half bottle of Mateus Rosé" is.

I had luncheon in this establishment about 5 months ago.  I was seated at a table of 4, directly to my right was Thomas English with what I presume was his lady wife ( could have been a sexy hooker)    

We move onto the game of 'How well do you know Tom English'?   

He had a starter and a main - what did he eat?  

Menu linkage -   https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5f382da3ce02280dc227937f/t/5f9ff1de1458eb762c46b8e0/1604317664756/Nicks_on_hendeson_street_FK9_4HR_November_Lunch_Menu.pdf

5 SPL point for correct starter, 10 SPL points for correct main, 25 SPL points for the double!  

Edited by Erih Shtrep

4 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I had luncheon in this establishment about 5 months ago.  I was seated at a table of 4, directly to my right was Thomas English with what I presume was his lady wife ( could have been a sexy hooker)    

Menu linkage -   https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5f382da3ce02280dc227937f/t/5f9ff1de1458eb762c46b8e0/1604317664756/Nicks_on_hendeson_street_FK9_4HR_November_Lunch_Menu.pdf

5 SPL point for correct starter, 10 SPL points for correct main, 25 SPL points for the double!  

image.jpeg

If he didn't go for the cured salmon followed by the duck leg confit then he's not the man I think he is.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Your fixation with contract renewal time is the issue.

If we throw our lot in with commercial channels based outside Scotland, of course the coverage will be hideously OF-centric.

Chasing the biggest gross sum possible does not serve our game well.  

I'm far more interested in how wealth in our game is distributed, than I am in the overall size of the pot that will lopsidedly by divided up.

I'd very happily take a game that was 'poorer in quality' if it was more egalitarian.

That's an ideal world. Turkey's won't vote for Christmas.

We have clubs in our Premier Division who cannot compete for signings with teams in the English 4th tier. I know more people who'd rather watch EPL because Scottish football is a 'joke' than actually take more than a passive interest in it. This is due to the presentation and fact we're always losing our top talent.

They have your interest and mine. It's these lapsed viewers they need to capture.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

If he didn't go for the cured salmon followed by the duck leg confit then he's not the man I think he is.

1 on 2. 

Soup then Duck leg for TE.   It was that Jerusalem artichoke stuff, and it was decent because I ate it.   A fine man and although  I don't really like Rugby I can listen to him talking about the attritional nature of the ulster pack and how they should nullify the Edinburgh front 5 and I can google the result to see if he's called it.  

Edited by Erih Shtrep

24 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I fucking hate how menus now have this poncey "point 5" pish in the pricing

"pretentious, moi?"

Aye, YOU!

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The snider is not knowing the 'soup of the day'..  Were it something like 'chilled pea veloute' he'd have gone for the gravadlax.

At lunchtime I think you're doing Tom wrong.   At dinner time he has the salmon starter all day long but it's lunch time, and he hasn't even discounted the burger for main, and if he ordered it he wouldn't be cutting it in half.   

I don't know where he lives but he's frequently in south #perthshire.  

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I fucking hate how menus now have this poncey "point 5" pish in the pricing

"pretentious, moi?"

Aye, YOU!

It's not my menu m9.  

But....If I open a restaurant you'll be delighted to learn that I'm a great believer in tens and units and there will be no shortcuts in my menus.  

5 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

It's not my menu m9.  

But....If I open a restaurant you'll be delighted to learn that I'm a great believer in tens and units and there will be no shortcuts in my menus.  

There was no personal criticism, apologies if it appeared that way. Glad to hear you would include the insignificant but important digit.

28 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

That's an ideal world. Turkey's won't vote for Christmas.

We have clubs in our Premier Division who cannot compete for signings with teams in the English 4th tier. I know more people who'd rather watch EPL because Scottish football is a 'joke' than actually take more than a passive interest in it. This is due to the presentation and fact we're always losing our top talent.

They have your interest and mine. It's these lapsed viewers they need to capture.

There's no point lamenting players leaving here to play in lower tiers in England.  That's simply economics and a result of the fact that capitalism red in tooth and claw, has been allowed to run unfettered through a deregulated industry over recent decades.

Yes, it infuriates me that the broadcast media courts semi interested masses to the exclusion of a genuinely committed handful, but begging for a few more quid from Sky is to play the rigged game that damages us.

50 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

The pizzas were good when it was Jam Jar, this menu is a bit much for me, the restaurant is 50 yards from Nick’s house so an easy gig.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's no point lamenting players leaving here to play in lower tiers in England.  That's simply economics and a result of the fact that capitalism red in tooth and claw, has been allowed to run unfettered through a deregulated industry over recent decades.

Yes, it infuriates me that the broadcast media courts semi interested masses to the exclusion of a genuinely committed handful, but begging for a few more quid from Sky is to play the rigged game that damages us

I'm not asking for us to beg for more money from Sky. I'm asking for the SPFL to collaborate with sky to put out a better overall product that enhances our league and doesn't cater to two teams.

Ideally I'd like us to go down another route than sky sports. Unfortunately it seems to be the only show in town.

7 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not asking for us to beg for more money from Sky. I'm asking for the SPFL to collaborate with sky to put out a better overall product that enhances our league and doesn't cater to two teams.

Ideally I'd like us to go down another route than sky sports. Unfortunately it seems to be the only show in town.

And as others  have pointed out, why would Sky wish to cater to sides that would mean their viewing figures suffer?

Sky don't care about Scottish football at all.  In fact in characterising their attitude to any such negotiations, your Partridge shrug thing might come in handy.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And as others  have pointed out, why would Sky wish to cater to sides that would mean their viewing figures suffer?

Sky don't care about Scottish football at all.  In fact in characterising their attitude to any such negotiations, your Partridge shrug thing might come in handy.

We're going round in circles here.

I've said several times that I believe if we did all we could to actually promote the league and not just two teams then we may not look so tin pot.

I'll leave it there. We'll have to agree to disagree.

12 hours ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Well, there certainly isn't humble pie on that menu, something English sorely needs in his diet.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

We're going round in circles here.

I've said several times that I believe if we did all we could to actually promote the league and not just two teams then we may not look so tin pot.

I'll leave it there. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes, fair enough.

I think you should worry less about others' perceptions of our game though.  To me, that's a big part of the problem.  Too long is spent chasing the interest of the thoroughly uncommitted, which comes at a cost to those who are.