The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That’s sort of the point I was trying to make earlier. I’m sure Sky would be quite happy if the profile of our league grew, it would be beneficial to them. The opposite is happening though, it’s OF TV basically. 

The SPFL are partly to blame as well, a blind man could have told you how Sky were going to treat Scottish football. If the SPFL told Sky they wanted Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell games shown a certain number of times, I doubt Sky would have walked away from the table. I get the feeling that the SPFL go into negotiations with Sky like lost little boys, happy to take anything they can get and leave with a nice pat on the head from the Sky big wigs. 

BT done a good job of showcasing ALL the teams, whilst also showing the majority of OF away games, so it is possible. BT also had the midweek Scottish football show, where they spoke with a good knowledge of all the teams, tactics etc. What do we get with Sky?  Kris Boyd and Kris Commons slevering over each other as they talk about Rangers and Celtic. 

Yeah, good post.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

We'd all love it to get exposure through better games. We'll struggle whilst teams are forced to contantly sell their best players as we're underfunded in comparison to the carnival down the road.

Any neutral watching one league then the other would see ours looks like a pub league in contrast and gives them an excuse to turn the channel. Higher viewing figures gives us a better chance of a better tv deal.

Fair points.

For me, I think too much is made about the quality of Scottish football and the players within it compared to the EPL. Good players dont necessarily mean good and entertaining games the same as the best actors dont always make the most entertaining films.

If we continually try and market ourselves the same way as English football we are always going to lose out and look worse in comparison.

For me, I'd love Scottish football to market itself as a wholly entertaining league where you are just as likely to see a defensive gaffe as you are a spectacular goal. Highlight the madness rather than w**k over the OF monotony. We need to stop trying to compete against the "best league in the world" EPL.

Unfortunately, you cant do that when all they show is Old Firm games where the opposition tend to sit in and try defend the point and hit on the counter. They don't make for good games. But Sky are only interested in viewing figures and making money so it will stay with the OF centric scheduling.

Its shite. And it doesnt improve the exposure of our game one bit. But if Sky offer far more money than anyone else its not going to change any time soon.

22 minutes ago, RiG said:

Another belter from Ewan Murray...

In fairness, it is an indictment of how inconsistent Hibs and Aberdeen have been that Celtic are still clear in 2nd despite being pretty shite for months now. There is a story there.

But trust Ewan Murray to find the dumbest way to articulate it.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not all of Rugby Tam's output is terrible:

Thomas English is excellent.   I'd love a few pints with Tom, Mikey Stewart and Graham Spiers.   We'd play the quiz machine then pool - killer initially then doubles (best of 5) at 10 pounds per frame.   Then settle down for a lovely pub lunch.   I'd have the Chicken Balmoral, Tom the Rib-eye, Stewart would have scampi and Graham the gnocchi or the lamb.   

Shane Duffy at both goals today was brilliant viewing.   He's absolutely no comprehension about holding a defensive line.  An absolute coo.  

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

They also showed Valladolid v Huesca, Stuttgart v Mainz and Torino v Fiorentina on Friday night. I take your point though, these companies work on subscriptions. Just seems that, this season especially, Sky have paid little attention to anyone but the OF. I can’t even remember them showing a game this season that didn’t involve one of them. 

They had a few earlier this season when the EPL was having their close season.

It would be interesting to know what the non-OF clubs think of the deal. More money, less exposure. Short sighted as they are, they're probably happy.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's because your reply was nonsense.

It really wasn't.

I think you're totally misguided in your concerns about our game receiving exposure and the quest for the best TV deal.

You're lamenting that our game doesn't show up well against the EPL circus. You're wildly missing the point.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really wasn't.

I think you're totally misguided in your concerns about our game receiving exposure and the quest for the best TV deal.

You're lamenting that our game doesn't show up well against the EPL circus. You're wildly missing the point.

Ok 👍🏻

27 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Thomas English is excellent.   I'd love a few pints with Tom, Mikey Stewart and Graham Spiers.   We'd play the quiz machine then pool - killer initially then doubles (best of 5) at 10 pounds per frame.   Then settle down for a lovely pub lunch.   I'd have the Chicken Balmoral, Tom the Rib-eye, Stewart would have scampi and Graham the gnocchi or the lamb.   

Shane Duffy at both goals today was brilliant viewing.   He's absolutely no comprehension about holding a defensive line.  An absolute coo.  

Even when Rugby Tam was (rightly) laying in to us after 2012 I thought he was excellent value and I'd happily share a bloody cote de boeuf and a bottle of claret with him as he's clearly a red meat and red wine sort of bloke.

Mikey Stewart though?  He's far too colourless for a man of your stature.  He'd have whatever the modern equivalent of "chicken in a basket and a half bottle of Mateus Rosé" is.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

:lol: Ah, that's quite a defence of your infantile analysis that you're constructing.

You are aware you interjected yourself in to a discussion I had hours ago with "I couldn't give a toss about the exposure our game receives out Scotland" yeah?

This is despite the fact I never mentioned outside Scotland. I mentioned the neutral viewer.

I'd imagine how much viewers the matches themselves receive would be pretty relevant come contract renewal time. This in turn affects the money the club's receive.

If you can disprove that then go ahead. If you disagree then I couldn't really care.

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Even when Rugby Tam was (rightly) laying in to us after 2012 I thought he was excellent value and I'd happily share a bloody cote de boeuf and a bottle of claret with him as he's clearly a red meat and red wine sort of bloke.

Mikey Stewart though?  He's far too colourless for a man of your stature.  He'd have whatever the modern equivalent of "chicken in a basket and a half bottle of Mateus Rosé" is.

Thought you drank Gin mate ??

Just now, Merkland Red said:

You are aware you interjected yourself in to a discussion I had hours ago with "I couldn't give a toss about the exposure our game receives out Scotland" yeah?

This is despite the fact I never mentioned outside Scotland. I mentioned the neutral viewer.

I'd imagine how much viewers the matches themselves receive would be pretty relevant come contract renewal time. This in turn affects the money the club's receive.

If you can disprove that then go ahead. If you disagree then I couldn't really care.

Your fixation with contract renewal time is the issue.

If we throw our lot in with commercial channels based outside Scotland, of course the coverage will be hideously OF-centric.

Chasing the biggest gross sum possible does not serve our game well.  

I'm far more interested in how wealth in our game is distributed, than I am in the overall size of the pot that will lopsidedly by divided up.

I'd very happily take a game that was 'poorer in quality' if it was more egalitarian.