Jump to content
Ludo*1

The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Recommended Posts

16:46 10 Jan
 

GOAL - Livingston 3-1 Ross County

Jack Hamilton

Game over! Scott Pittman's superb driving run into the box causes havoc, and the midfielder slips the ball across goal, where substitute Jack Hamilton was waiting to pounce.

c567b729-6749-4a11-8a66-088fd86bb238.jpg

 

image.gif

image.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

TBF, they've mentioned 3 more teams than they normally do...

Is it possible a team of headline writers sit around a desk with their skinny lattes every day and work on what Old Firm headline will wind people up on here, and then review the posts the following day at the start of the next meeting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Zamora65 said:

Absolute state of this from bbc sport website 

68AA508E-B94D-41A9-B51B-EB2EAF1CD4AE.png

:lol: I just came along to post the same thing.

 

I'm convinced they employ people who don't really follow football to write this stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19016434.gordon-smith-need-introduce-plastic-footballs-kids-training-sessions/

I can't see beyond the free intro paras due to reaching my max number of free articles. Is Gordon Smith really suggesting that in the whole dementia debate that kids need to be protected from the new modern lightweight leather balls? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19016434.gordon-smith-need-introduce-plastic-footballs-kids-training-sessions/
I can't see beyond the free intro paras due to reaching my max number of free articles. Is Gordon Smith really suggesting that in the whole dementia debate that kids need to be protected from the new modern lightweight leather balls? 
Apparently they weigh the same as the old ones, the rule has always been 14-16 oz and even the old argument about how old balls got wet and heavy doesnt hold up as it meant they travelled slower.

Seen someone who was doing a study on it talking on Sky Sports news recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Apparently they weigh the same as the old ones, the rule has always been 14-16 oz and even the old argument about how old balls got wet and heavy doesnt hold up as it meant they travelled slower.

Seen someone who was doing a study on it talking on Sky Sports news recently.

I know the awful impact of heading old soaking wet leather balls for players  in the 60s and 70s. However from say 80s onwards and into the 90s, is there (serious) evidence to suggest that heading newer balls has also has a detrimental impact? Have studies also been carried out on modern balls?

I imagine dementia related charities say, yes, modern footballs will have an impact and probably are against all forms of heading the ball. However I wonder if there is independent studies to support this......

I have anly read headlines on this so largely unsighted - just surprised, given how lightweight modern footballs are that officials wish children to use something even lighter.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I know the awful impact of heading old soaking wet leather balls for players  in the 60s and 70s. However from say 80s onwards and into the 90s, is there (serious) evidence to suggest that heading newer balls has also has a detrimental impact? Have studies also been carried out on modern balls?

I imagine dementia related charities say, yes, modern footballs will have an impact and probably are against all forms of heading the ball. However I wonder if there is independent studies to support this......

I have anly read headlines on this so largely unsighted - just surprised, given how lightweight modern footballs are that officials wish children to use something even lighter.....

The point is that they arent lightweight at all. They are the same weight they have always been. There is an argument to say that modern balls are worse, since they are the same weight but technology has changed and allowed them to travel faster, and players are fitter/stronger and can hit them harder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The point is that they arent lightweight at all. They are the same weight they have always been. There is an argument to say that modern balls are worse, since they are the same weight but technology has changed and allowed them to travel faster, and players are fitter/stronger and can hit them harder. 

yes - sorry, you mentioned that and I glossed over it. What I should say is that if the starting weight of the ball is say 420g, is there clear evidence to confirm that occasionally heading a ball of that weight throughout a game (over. a period of years) has a detrimental impact on a player's brain?

The balls of the 60s and 70s would start at that weight but would get heavier as the game progressed. That has not been the case from probably the 80s but certainly the 90s onwards - therefore its the argument that 420g is still too heavy? I would say from dementia charities, the answer is probably yes, but is there evidence to corroborate this? 

But I stand corrected in using the term "modern lightweight balls"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

yes - sorry, you mentioned that and I glossed over it. What I should say is that if the starting weight of the ball is say 420g, is there clear evidence to confirm that occasionally heading a ball of that weight throughout a game (over. a period of years) has a detrimental impact on a player's brain?

The balls of the 60s and 70s would start at that weight but would get heavier as the game progressed. That has not been the case from probably the 80s but certainly the 90s onwards - therefore its the argument that 420g is still too heavy? I would say from dementia charities, the answer is probably yes, but is there evidence to corroborate this? 

But I stand corrected in using the term "modern lightweight balls"!

As I say the guy I heard talking about this said the added water weight was somewhat mitigated by the effect it had on the ball speed through the air. 

As far as how much conclusive evidence there is, I dont know but it's certainly under the spotlight and gathering pace. There must be plenty of info available out there now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/12/2020 at 20:11, DA Baracus said:

Almost all pun users think they are far more clever than they are.

^^^^ Not very punny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about studies on the effect of these boulders on us kids who played in the 70s and 80s at school, for the BBs, etc?

I can still hear the PYOOIIIIINNG as one of them leathered  (no pun intended) off some poor bugger.

image.png.0b0ede391076797e0390e03d672e2e3d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Apparently they weigh the same as the old ones, the rule has always been 14-16 oz and even the old argument about how old balls got wet and heavy doesnt hold up as it meant they travelled slower.

Seen someone who was doing a study on it talking on Sky Sports news recently.

Not when they were booted up the pitch and dropping from a great height onto your napper they weren't, you felt your head sink into your shoulders.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every Sports summary on BBC Scotland this morning spoke about Livingston getting a draw agaianst a “..makeshift Celtic side” and failed to suggest that the makeshift side had a market value of 20 or 30 times that of Livi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Theatom said:

a market value of 20 or 30 times that of Livi. 

The club or the town?

Oh No Reaction GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

What about studies on the effect of these boulders on us kids who played in the 70s and 80s at school, for the BBs, etc?

I can still hear the PYOOIIIIINNG as one of them leathered  (no pun intended) off some poor bugger.

image.png.0b0ede391076797e0390e03d672e2e3d.png

I played in goals in those days.  It was before goalie gloves were used.  My hands still have a pebble dash effect from catching (occasionally) those bloody things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

:lol: I just came along to post the same thing.

 

I'm convinced they employ people who don't really follow football to write this stuff.

Somebody has helped them with (some of the) mistake(s).

 

correction.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Somebody has helped them with (some of the) mistake(s).

 

correction.jpg

Nice of them to have us in the final already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...