The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I think this is one of those tweets, where it looks worse than it actually is. Like Craig says, they do tend to spread the promotional material (be that Tweets or FB posts) throughout the week. So imagine they'll show say Louis Moult's goals against Rangers tomorrow, before moving onto the clubs in the SF later on in the week, such as Livi's 2004 run.

They really could have used this week as a celebration of clubs out with the two cheeks, though.

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I write stuff for the SPFL site every week, and have previously done previews and things like that for the cup semis so I have a bit of insider knowledge of how they prepare for these big games.

From what I gather they have a bunch of videos from cup semi-finals which they spread through the week, and they don't want to use the best stuff up on the Monday. Instead they start off with their generic cup semi final content and save the more club-specific stuff until closer to the actual games.

its completely inexcusable and someone should be fired for doing that.

If next years semi finalists are Rangers Celtic Aberdeen and Hearts you can bet they won't do something like that.

47 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

If next years semi finalists are Rangers Celtic Aberdeen and Hearts you can bet they won't do something like that.

You were doing well up until then 😂 

52 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

You mean like last season, when the semi-finalists were Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Hibs and they posted stuff like this?

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You mean like last season, when the semi-finalists were Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Hibs and they posted stuff like this?

Fair enough but that seems an utterly bizarre strategy, rather than focus on the 4 semi finalist which they have started to do today thankfully. 

1 minute ago, realmadrid said:

Fair enough but that seems an utterly bizarre strategy, rather than focus on the 4 semi finalist which they have started to do today thankfully. 

It's a fair shout, but those all look like classics / memorable though rather than just the *** goals from previous year?

18 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

There's a whole week before the games, and the account is for fans of all clubs, not just those supporting those teams. If anything, you'd imagine the clubs who are in the semi-final are already engaged and interested in the game, so there's a logic to trying to stir up interest for the rest surely?

14 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

It's a fair shout, but those all look like classics / memorable though rather than just the *** goals from previous year?

I only picked out the tweets involving the teams which weren't involved in the semi-finals last year. You can see above that they included Aberdeen beating Rangers in the previous season, and they also showed Celtic beating Hearts, but I didn't include that since Celtic were involved in the semis again.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

There's a whole week before the games, and the account is for fans of all clubs, not just those supporting those teams. If anything, you'd imagine the clubs who are in the semi-final are already engaged and interested in the game, so there's a logic to trying to stir up interest for the rest surely?

. I know our media team has sent a lot of material over and its starting to get used from today. it was more the thought that we were going to have a week of here is a Rangers goal then balanced by here is a Celtic goal until Friday when all 4 teams coverage was squashed into a day. 

if thats not happening fine. 

I follow the media account of the head of media at Lokomotiv Moscow and he used to do media for the Russian league , but stated in an interview recently that league accounts are very hard to run, some clubs supply content, others don't and fan engagement can be hard. Those who do follow the league account also tend to think its always focusing on other teams. I guess with 2 massive clubs that dwarf the rest of the league that is always going to be the case here (Last years goal of the season vote etc)

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I only picked out the tweets involving the teams which weren't involved in the semi-finals last year. You can see above that they included Aberdeen beating Rangers in the previous season, and they also showed Celtic beating Hearts, but I didn't include that since Celtic were involved in the semis again.

Fair enough then.  I've not really paid attention before but it does then seem to be quite balanced and complete as a promotional drive.