The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

5 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Does that mean she is still drawing her salary and keeping pension entitlements? Is she still representing her constituents?

Yes.

Unless an MP resigns the only way they can be removed is under a recall petition and currently Ferrier doesn't meet the criteria for that to happen  (long story short need to be convicted of a crime or recommended by which committee)

The SNP have removed the whip which is the strongest sanction they have available just now.

Mouth breathers like Richard Leonard are demanding she is expelled from the party. Whilst I expect this to happen in time a disciplinary committee needs to be convened and the accused as a right to represent themselves at the hearing. The SNP can not summarily dismiss someone from the party.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yes.

Unless an MP resigns the only way they can be removed is under a recall petition and currently Ferrier doesn't meet the criteria for that to happen  (long story short need to be convicted of a crime or recommended by which committee)

The SNP have removed the whip which is the strongest sanction they have available just now.

Mouth breathers like Richard Leonard are demanding she is expelled from the party. Whilst I expect this to happen in time a disciplinary committee needs to be convened and the accused as a right to represent themselves at the hearing. The SNP can not summarily dismiss someone from the party.

So avoiding name calling for a minute (it detracts from any point that is made) why do we have a situation where someone employed by the state can not be dismissed unless for a crime? There must be thousands who have lost their job for somewhat less serious matters? 

2 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

So avoiding name calling for a minute (it detracts from any point that is made) why do we have a situation where someone employed by the state can not be dismissed unless for a crime? There must be thousands who have lost their job for somewhat less serious matters? 

A recall petition can also be triggered if an MP is suspended from the Commons for at least 10 sitting days or 14 calendar days. 

I’m pretty sure that will happen in this case, if she doesn’t resign first, but it’ll take time. 

Does that mean she is still drawing her salary and keeping pension entitlements? Is she still representing her constituents?
Yes.
No, not at the moment as she's off ill with Coronavirus but should be as an independent once she's able to work.

As I heard someone say on the radio, she's probably on the best salary and was expected to be on £80k for roughly 4 years minimum. She may well have changed her lifestyle and will be trying to work out any way possible to avoid stepping down which would be the end of her political career. It's not as though she can go and become a politician somewhere else.

She's well and truly mucked this up and seems to be the only person who doesn't think she should resign.

3 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Because they are not employed by the state. They are office bearers.

You are free not to like this but there is very clear processes for how someone becomes such an office bearer and when that office ends.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Because they are not employed by the state. They are office bearers.

You are free not to like this but there is very clear processes for how someone becomes such an office bearer and when that office ends.

An office bearer employed by the state unless someone else is paying her salary and pension?

4 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

An office bearer employed by the state unless someone else is paying her salary and pension?

I dont know what your point is here. Its your prerogative not to like or understand the nature of the office of an MP but it's not up for debate.

There is no contract of employment between MPs and "The State".

They are paid by the independent parliamentary standards authority and they are subject to the rules of parliament as set out in statute or under parliamentary convention.

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I dont know what your point is here. Its your prerogative not to like or understand the nature of the office of an MP but it's not up for debate.

There is no contract of employment between MPs and "The State".

They are paid by the independent parliamentary standards authority and they are subject to the rules of parliament as set out in statute or under parliamentary convention.

It isn't difficult. They are not paid by the private sector. They are paid by the public sector and therefore the state, which by extension means my tax, your tax and everyone else on here. The IPSA noted above must be funded by the state is it not?

If that is incorrect I am happy to be put right.

8 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

It isn't difficult. They are not paid by the private sector. They are paid by the public sector and therefore the state, which by extension means my tax, your tax and everyone else on here. The IPSA noted above must be funded by the state is it not?

If that is incorrect I am happy to be put right.

Last word from me.

They are paid for by the state. They are not employed by the state. There are many situations where someone derives an income from some body or other but there is no contract of employment. Each of these tends to have its own area of law governing how and when such arrangements can be terminated.

Office Bearer is one of many distinct classifications recognised by HMRC.

Your comparison with people employed by the state is spurious as they arent employees they are office bearers of the state and there are specific rules surrounding how and when they are removed from office.