The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

11 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

I realise the BBC Sport ‘Scottish Gossip’ column is hardly going to be a bastion of journalistic excellence, but what is the point of this? It’s not gossip, rumours or anything of the sort, it’s a fucking Adidas press release.

On top of it, the hyperlink to the Herald article (which in itself is just Celtic season ticket promotion) doesn’t mention anything regarding the kit whatsoever.

I think I’m a bit grumpy this morning that this riled me so much. 

54009AAC-1649-4017-B076-DF092DD2EC15.jpeg

It's nice to know the Hoops "proudly span the chest" as compared to the Hoops on other clubs shirt that presumably merely cower on one side and don't go all the way across...

I saw that article and the words "vomit inducing" come to mind.

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's nice to know the Hoops "proudly span the chest" as compared to the Hoops on other clubs shirt that presumably merely cower on one side

I've just had to explain to Mrs Shotgun why I burst out laughing there. Reminding me for the umpteenth time that the 2 of us don't share the same sense of humour.

Very minor and very petty, but Spiers' article on United's new manager has the word 'alot' written a lot of times. 

If it was on P&B it wouldn't annoy me (I certainly make grammatical mistakes that can't simply be put down as a typo)but for a tenured journalist to be making such simple mistakes and them not being checked when he writes for what is supposedly one of the premium newspapers in the UK gets right on my tits.

Whilst I'm on my rant - Kheredine for the BBC is one of the poorest writers around. His work is littered with grammatical errors that'd make a school pupil blush. 

Edited by Ludo*1

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Very minor and very petty, but Spiers' article on United's new manager has the word 'alot' written a lot of times. 

If it was on P&B it wouldn't annoy me (I certainly make grammatical mistakes that can't simply be put down as a typo)but for a tenured journalist to be making such simple mistakes and them not being checked when he writes for what is supposedly one of the premium newspapers in the UK gets right on my tits.

Whilst I'm on my rant - Kheredine for the BBC is one of the poorest writers around. His work is littered with grammatical errors that'd make a school pupil blush. 

I know that newspapers can't afford to employ sub-editors these days but surely Spiers & co could install Grammarly.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I still remember my first year English teacher telling us it was an automatic fail if you used the term "alot" in any piece of work you submitted to her.

How we all laughed until a quarter of the class failed the first term essay writing exam.

14 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I still remember my first year English teacher telling us it was an automatic fail if you used the term "alot" in any piece of work you submitted to her.

How we all laughed until a quarter of the class failed the first term essay writing exam.

A quarter, that's a lot.

27 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Parking Lot | Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Parish |

Clearly her message has gotten through, as no one is using this lot much.

49 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Pretty poor English teacher in my opinion, if that's the only common grammatical mistake she was aware of.

53 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Will be able to retire soon with a lotto ticket, if it comes up.  Will then treat my dog to Winalot. 

Is Winalot not Asda's cheapo shit as it is? What do you feed it normally?