The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Speaking of terrible journalism

Speaking to the Scottish Football Podcast former Dundee United and Scotland manager Levein pointed towards to the success in England this season of Liverpool and, in the second tier, Leeds United, who play a high-tempo game.

He believes that has contributed to a sense that the approach has to change.

"There is a growing feeling in Scottish football that too much responsibility has been passed from the manager of a club to sports science people. I think there's some truth in that," he added.

What's the point? Levein discussed something on another platform. Here is a mention of that source with the briefest possible excerpt of what he said on it, with no context or explanation. What is the suggestion? High tempo teams being successful means players need to train more? Less? That sports science will make players able to play a more physically demanding style of football? Who knows, but there's 300 words on your state broadcaster's website saying... something. 

Also speaking of terrible journalism

Untitled.png.08e64d4b97742019540dc8be38974d2b.png

Tom English has been one of the best sports journalists in scotland in the last few years. It's just on this issue that the majority think hes completely wrong.

It's got to the point where I'm not actually sure what hes arguing for. I can understand Hearts are aiming for an outcome that suits them and fvck everyone else, but does English honestly believe that outcome would be the fairest for all?

6 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

He appears to be playing the "everybody has lost" game so far.

Screenshot_20200703-155829_Samsung Internet.jpg

If he'd said "here we f*cking go again" instead he'd have encapsulated a lot of fans' feelings 

On 03/07/2020 at 18:05, Mark Connolly said:

He's a fucking manchild when it comes to rugby as well, especially if one of his beloved Irish provinces has just been bodied by Glasgow or Edinburgh

Exactly, he's fucking shite at covering the rugby, especially since he openly fucking hates Scottish rugby, especially the national team.

Very similar to his football coverage actually. 

On 26/06/2020 at 20:07, Tannadeechee said:

Yup, it's just a cut and paste job. They must have had a few complaints in and think if they send that out that will be the end of it.

It's not. I have a case number and I'm taking it further. There have been other occasions where I felt I should have said something over the years, but the bit is between the teeth now. Ultimately it may do nothing, but I cannot let his/their output continue to insult my intelligence.

Exactly the reply I got after I complained about English too...

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Another belter...

It seems like English is fully channeling Alan Partridge at this point:

" I've witnessed bare-knuckled boxing in a barn in Somerset about three years ago and it was a sorry sight to see men goading them on in, er, such a barbaric fashion, and I'm rather ashamed to say I was party to that goading, and, er, two men fighting as I saw in the barn that night, naked as the day they were born, and fighting the way God intended... wrestling at points. I don't know if you've seen 'Women In Love', there's a marvellous scene by the fire. It, er, kind of resembled that."

32 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

It seems like English is fully channeling Alan Partridge at this point:

" I've witnessed bare-knuckled boxing in a barn in Somerset about three years ago and it was a sorry sight to see men goading them on in, er, such a barbaric fashion, and I'm rather ashamed to say I was party to that goading, and, er, two men fighting as I saw in the barn that night, naked as the day they were born, and fighting the way God intended... wrestling at points. I don't know if you've seen 'Women In Love', there's a marvellous scene by the fire. It, er, kind of resembled that."

I think it's a bit more Saturday afternoon World of Sport wrestling than bare knuckle boxing.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Another belter...

Of course it's not a revelation. Partick wouldn't be standing up for themselves if somebody else hadn't stumped up the money to do so.

English is beyond a joke now.

8 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Of course it's not a revelation. Partick wouldn't be standing up for themselves if somebody else hadn't stumped up the money to do so.

English is beyond a joke now.

Partick remind me of the bloke at the of the night hiding behind their wife/girlfriend giving it "'mon then!!!"

English has been an utter disgrace throughout this. I have no issue with him having his own view, it's just his blinkered, there is no merit in anything anybody else says or does.

His back pedaling when called out on that tweet is astounding. It can only be read in one way, with one meaning.

40 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Partick remind me of the bloke at the of the night hiding behind their wife/girlfriend giving it "'mon then!!!"

English has been an utter disgrace throughout this. I have no issue with him having his own view, it's just his blinkered, there is no merit in anything anybody else says or does.

His back pedaling when called out on that tweet is astounding. It can only be read in one way, with one meaning.

His mind is set and he's not willing to consider anyone else's point of view or even any new evidence.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

Another belter...

Wild.

Tries to backtrack by claiming no club should be unfairly punished, before vanishing when someone asks him how that could happen.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wild.

Tries to backtrack by claiming no club should be unfairly punished, before vanishing when someone asks him how that could happen.

I have no doubt that some of the BBC journos / editorial team will read P&B and other forums.

It cant have escaped them that - almost without exception - football fans think this guy is now beyond parody.

His original tweet was like something that Ewan Murray might have come out with, and the backtracking was utterly laughable.

His undying support for Hearts - even in this situation which might relegate these 3 teams - is vomit inducing.

I was seconds away from giving it big licks to Arabs when I was sent this headline:

Screenshot_20200707-101821_WhatsApp.jpg

What an absolute stitch up that is when you read the article. All he says is it's nothing to do with him and he focuses on getting the team prepared.

Edited by Ludo*1

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was seconds away from giving it big licks to Arabs when I was sent this headline:

Screenshot_20200707-101821_WhatsApp.jpg

What an absolute stitch up that is when you read the article. All he says is it's nothing to do with him and he focuses on getting the team prepared.

Yeah, the headline is sensationalist pish, trying to whip up even more of a frenzy and division than there already is atm.

I was fucking raging when I read it, but nothing in the article, or anything he says gives rise to the headline they have slapped on the top.

Must be fucking weird for Neilson. Having left United with the, “United are back where they belong” line, he is now  batting for the team trying to completely undo the achievement the he and his players work so hard for last year, rendering all his previous efforts effectively meaningless.

That being said, i’d be surprised if he gives a flying f**k tbh.....

Totally random successive tweets on my feed which made me smile Screenshot_20200708_111240.jpeg

I realise the BBC Sport ‘Scottish Gossip’ column is hardly going to be a bastion of journalistic excellence, but what is the point of this? It’s not gossip, rumours or anything of the sort, it’s a fucking Adidas press release.

On top of it, the hyperlink to the Herald article (which in itself is just Celtic season ticket promotion) doesn’t mention anything regarding the kit whatsoever.

I think I’m a bit grumpy this morning that this riled me so much. 

54009AAC-1649-4017-B076-DF092DD2EC15.jpeg

28 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

I realise the BBC Sport ‘Scottish Gossip’ column is hardly going to be a bastion of journalistic excellence, but what is the point of this? It’s not gossip, rumours or anything of the sort, it’s a fucking Adidas press release.

On top of it, the hyperlink to the Herald article (which in itself is just Celtic season ticket promotion) doesn’t mention anything regarding the kit whatsoever.

I think I’m a bit grumpy this morning that this riled me so much. 

54009AAC-1649-4017-B076-DF092DD2EC15.jpeg

That is quite something. The Celtic marketing team couldn't have done a better job themselves.