The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Really not sure what Levein is trying to use as his excuse there. Its Strachan levels of bullshit. If he could support the implication that Leeds and Liverpool owe nothing to sports science and their high tempo game is a result of moving away from sports science then yeah, maybe worth a look.

Highly doubt we will find anything to support that though.

Old man yells at cloud.

59 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Really not sure what Levein is trying to use as his excuse there. Its Strachan levels of bullshit. If he could support the implication that Leeds and Liverpool owe nothing to sports science and their high tempo game is a result of moving away from sports science then yeah, maybe worth a look.

Old man yells at cloud.

Liverpool players play so many games when you consider league, Europe and internationals. 

Leeds players play loads of games in the packed English Championship schedule, often with periods of two games a week. Doubtless they'll have international players too.

That both teams can play such a high tempo so often, according to Levein, is very much down to the sport science teams.

Hearts had so many injuries last season. Perhaps if they had a decent sports science team that might have been different.

Would have thought any professional club these days would have a balanced set up behind the scenes, I know cost comes into the situation. Realise some clubs have bad injury seasons - either bad luck or something you're doing wrong. We,'ve moved on from the bucket n sponge days, players from carthorses to racehorses nowadays 🏇 Unlike some managers I will admit that I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tom English claiming that a 'good pro' would have no issue with agreeing to a pay cut then Hearts spending money on players was baffling.

I'm not saying Hearts are necessarily wrong to be signing players but I can imagine if I'd agreed to a pay cut in good faith to help the club, I'd be within my rights to question them going on a spending spree.

Looking forward to the day when Tom English has to take a massive pay cut so that the BBC can transfer in Keith Jackson on much bigger wages than him. Take it like a good pro. 

NB: I am not really looking forward to that day. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Old man yells at cloud.

Craig levein within two sentences. 

"They dont train hard enough"

"Frustrated my best players were always injured"

FML

59 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Looking forward to the day when Tom English has to take a massive pay cut so that the BBC can transfer in Keith Jackson on much bigger wages than him. Take it like a good pro. 

NB: I am not really looking forward to that day. 

That was my thoughts.

"It's for the good of the podcast, Tom!"

Just listened to Thursday’s podcast. Tom English banging on about how the standard in England isn’t all that good for the most part, outside the top clubs, how a lot of guys in Scotland are as good as most of the other players down there. 

Two minutes later describes Fraser Forster as probably the best goalkeeper in Scotland during the last 20 years*. Fraser Forster who is 3rd choice keeper at Southampton. 

Surely that’s a little contradictory? 

*I would take issue with this assertion too. 

Isn't the phrase "We go again" usually trotted out by one side who have just lost a game? In that context, Tom has surely outed his continued allegiance with Hearts and Partick, and any question of impartial journalism is out the window. So, no change there then.

English, while being the senior BBC Scotland football writer still manages to call Partick, Patrick. Now I get predictive text can catch people out, but again, I point out he is the senior BBC Scotland football writer and someone who really should be aware of how teams spell their name.

Anyway, as for this tweet, he's trying to argue it's a draw, when really the analogy is that Hearts/ Partick lost where the game will be played but won the toss to decide which way they'd be shooting. Absolutely not an equivalent.

Remember when folk used to say "Tom English made a lot of sense"?
No really. Unless it's about rugby. Which I have no clue about (New Zealand are good at it, that's all I've got). So he sounds plausible with that to me.

I think people tend to equate eloquence with persuasion, and they're often not the same thing.

10 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I think people tend to equate eloquence with persuasion, and they're often not the same thing.

That's obviously right, but I don't think it's particularly applicable with Tom English.

Hitherto, he generally didn't talk sustained shite over many weeks.  He usually displayed a decent grasp of the issues.  This has been a disturbing unravelling.

37 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

No really. Unless it's about rugby. Which I have no clue about (New Zealand are good at it, that's all I've got). So he sounds plausible with that to me.

My knowledge of rugby is greater than yours, chain smoking Frenchmen and midget Welshmen used to rule the world.

49 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

He's a fucking manchild when it comes to rugby as well, especially if one of his beloved Irish provinces has just been bodied by Glasgow or Edinburgh