Jump to content
Ludo*1

The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Listened to today's podcast. Tom English"The hypocrisy in this is off the scale". First thing he's really said that's accurate in this situation, although he didn't use it the way most of us on here would have.

Yeah. Stuck up for his favourite successful businesswoman when he dismissed what she said about accepting the will of the football community a couple of months ago because she only said it the once. However I don’t think he’s been on once in the last month or so without shouting about how McGregor said Hearts should “take their medicine”. I’m pretty sure McGregor’s only said that the once too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/06/2020 at 13:42, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure what's funnier, Morelos showing complete contempt to The Athletic's Rangers blogger and feeding him this bullshit story, or said blogger actually believing him and printing it.

 

On 22/06/2020 at 00:48, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

That was the guy who claimed he knew that the Celtic fans were thinking racist thoughts when Morelos was sent off for the cut throat gesture.

He's a simpering myopic. Writing blogs that verge on being fan fiction.

I've wanted to sign up to the athletic for a while now but simply can't due to the fact that cretin produces a fair portion of the Scottish writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Listened to today's podcast. Tom English"The hypocrisy in this is off the scale". First thing he's really said that's accurate in this situation, although he didn't use it the way most of us on here would have.

This was actually quite funny. He was quoted Ann Budge's comments about accepting relegation and essentially said "yeah she said that, but she also said other things! And when she said that it was just to bring clubs with her on reconstruction"

Ahh ok Tom so she was just blustering lies to get votes for reconstruction. Much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

 

I've wanted to sign up to the athletic for a while now but simply can't due to the fact that cretin produces a fair portion of the Scottish writing.

I did sign up and it’s really not worth it. If you’re into English and European football the standard of writing is pretty good and you can get your money’s worth out of it but the Scottish coverage is almost entirely just The Celtic and Rangers correspondents writing solely about those clubs. If Scottish football is your main interest it’s pretty much just an old firm fanzine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

I did sign up and it’s really not worth it. If you’re into English and European football the standard of writing is pretty good and you can get your money’s worth out of it but the Scottish coverage is almost entirely just The Celtic and Rangers correspondents writing solely about those clubs. If Scottish football is your main interest it’s pretty much just an old firm fanzine.

Ah thanks for the heads up. I am interested in English football but not to the extent I'd be signing up for that alone.

Still find it bizarre that Rangers correspondent was fine to take aim at SPFL fans on twitter without repercussions. How can you take his reporting seriously when he's getting in to petty squabbles with fans of other clubs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

This was actually quite funny. He was quoted Ann Budge's comments about accepting relegation and essentially said "yeah she said that, but she also said other things! And when she said that it was just to bring clubs with her on reconstruction"

Ahh ok Tom so she was just blustering lies to get votes for reconstruction. Much better. 

Yes, you know when you're on the wrong side of an argument when you're essentially asking: 'which is worse, hypocrisy or opportunistic cynicism?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Golden Gordon said:

Yes, you know when you're on the wrong side of an argument when you're essentially asking: 'which is worse, hypocrisy or opportunistic cynicism?'

I don't actually have much animosity towards Budge on this, but English's one-eyed approach on the issue has been absolutely baffling. He's just gone head first into ranting now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't actually have much animosity towards Budge on this, but English's one-eyed approach on the issue has been absolutely baffling. He's just gone head first into ranting now.

Yes, it's inexplicable.  You can pretty much say anything in the tone of voice that English uses to say 'take their medicine' & it'll sound sinister.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't actually have much animosity towards Budge on this, but English's one-eyed approach on the issue has been absolutely baffling. He's just gone head first into ranting now.

He’s gone head first, right up Budge’s arse, and unfortunately for the rest of us, has been unable to find his way out yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MacArab said:

He’s gone head first, right up Budge’s arse, and unfortunately for the rest of us, has been unable to find his way out yet.

It's quite weird that the only thing he criticised her for was making a diplomatic and friendly statement about Stendel leaving.

Seems she should have said "Useless c**t, well shot." and he'd have been happy.

Edited by welshbairn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's quite weird that the only thing he criticised her for was making a diplomatic and friendly statement about Stendel leaving.

Seems she should have said "Useless c**t, well shot." and he'd have been happy.

Unless English is playing the journalistic long game here, encouraging Budge into terrible PR mistakes, so that he can eventually tear her down when everything falls apart around her.  It would give him something to write about when the football is cancelled again during the second wave.  But I think this might be a stretch too far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's quite weird that the only thing he criticised her for was making a diplomatic and friendly statement about Stendel leaving.

Seems she should have said "Useless c**t, well shot." and he'd have been happy.

Since the vote, this exactly what I'd be saying if ever Tom leaves Sportsound!

Edited by Tannadeechee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This was actually quite funny. He was quoted Ann Budge's comments about accepting relegation and essentially said "yeah she said that, but she also said other things! And when she said that it was just to bring clubs with her on reconstruction"

Ahh ok Tom so she was just blustering lies to get votes for reconstruction. Much better. 

His entire approach on this seemed to suggest he knew why AB was saying what she did at the time. I’m sure before she made any comment on any matter she thought to herself that she’d best tell Tom English what her intended meaning really was.

This isn’t decent journalism - it’s sunk below the usual sub standard BBC nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he was able to even take on the notion that there are other opinions than his he'd be tolerable. I'd think he's a bit of a clown but no more than anyone else and indeed, he'd have a bit of stock in the bank ahead of some others but he's been an arrogant w**k spearheading the cause for Hearts and everyone else are scumbags for getting in Hearts' way.

Edited by Ludo*1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read the daily Gossip page on the BBC website and one story caught my eye. It says that Celtic are hoping to have 30,000 fans in Celtic Park by the end of August, which is obviously a helluva lot less than their season ticket total. Can I suggest that the club have an easy way to allocate these tickets. Just let everyone that turned up to home matches while Rangers were in the lower leagues have a ticket. That would then leave only 5,000 tickets to be allocated in a ballot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If he was able to even take on the notion that there are other opinions than his he'd be tolerable. I'd think he's a bit of a clown but no more than anyone else and indeed, he'd have a bit of stock in the bank ahead of some others but he's been an arrogant w**k spearheading the cause for Hearts and everyone else are scumbags for getting in Hearts' way.

Totally agree. One of the biggest problems with English is his inability to understand the various factors boards will have considered when coming to a decision. He has distilled it down to yes to reconstruction = selfless and willing to share the pain, no to reconstruction = selfish b*****ds.  Keeps going on about how SPFL board should come up with reconstruction but surely it was in Hearts interests to be involved? Never considers that AB put forward a bunch of poorly thought out and poorly articulated proposals without contacting lower league chairman to lobby for support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ribzanelli said:

Totally agree. One of the biggest problems with English is his inability to understand the various factors boards will have considered when coming to a decision. He has distilled it down to yes to reconstruction = selfless and willing to share the pain, no to reconstruction = selfish b*****ds.  Keeps going on about how SPFL board should come up with reconstruction but surely it was in Hearts interests to be involved? Never considers that AB put forward a bunch of poorly thought out and poorly articulated proposals without contacting lower league chairman to lobby for support.

 

That bridge was truly burned many moons ago and she knew it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the actual...?! 

Linking the timeline of Liverpool's title wins with the deaths of hundreds of thousands of human beings from a pandemic and two illegal wars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, atfccfc said:

Linking the timeline of Liverpool's title wins with the deaths of hundreds of thousands of human beings from a pandemic and two illegal wars. 

No mention of Margaret Thatcher and her death? Something that would equally please most scoucers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

What the actual...?! 

Linking the timeline of Liverpool's title wins with the deaths of hundreds of thousands of human beings from a pandemic and two illegal wars. 

High price for the rest of us to pay just so that Liverpool can have another league title.  Wonder what the consequences for humanity would be if a team outside the OF* were to win the Premiership?

But you're right, fairly insensitive reporting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...