The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Podcast is only 24 minutes long and I couldn't finish it.

To be fair to Tom English, he's fair getting under my skin with his pish. I was about a minute away from having a complete head's gone the other day.

I suffered it to the end, as was wondering what his take on fairness was, based on Hearts’ attempts to punish clubs who have won the majority of their games all season, in order to reward 3 clubs  who have won a grand total of 12 between them.

He even started the podcast on “Budge was the first to see this coming right at the beginning”, justifying her being the first to be a total c**t to her players, before seeing how things play out.

Made me want to fucking puke......

ETA - He never got round to commenting on whether he felt Hearts trying to prevent promotion was justified or not.....

Edited by MacArab

14 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

It's good to see that not all Scottish football journalists are immoral and are willing to question the corrupt original vote. 🙃

Which journalists?  I can only really see Tom English flogging this dead horse.

Edited by strichener

2 hours ago, MacArab said:

I suffered it to the end, as was wondering what his take on fairness was, based on Hearts’ attempts to punish clubs who have won the majority of their games all season, in order to reward 3 clubs  who have won a grand total of 12 between them.

He even started the podcast on “Budge was the first to see this coming right at the beginning”, justifying her being the first to be a total c**t to her players, before seeing how things play out.

Made me want to fucking puke......

ETA - He never got round to commenting on whether he felt Hearts trying to prevent promotion was justified or not.....

I genuinely had loaded up a BBC Complaint page before I realised what a state he'd managed to get me in. :lol:

If he is going for the 'troll to be popular' style that the likes of Chris Sutton, Craig Burley, Jim Traynor et al have went down over the years then he's blew them completely out of the water and he's absolutely nailed it like no other has before.

Unreal how all-in English is with his backing of Hearts' & Partick's legal action.  They are just 'defending their corner' & those who have raised the possibility of the revocation of the SPFL membership are 'lacking in self-awareness' & 'bullying & threatening' both clubs.  The idea that the SPFL clubs should just 'take their [£10 million] medicine' in the face of cuts is unconscionable. 

59 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I genuinely had loaded up a BBC Complaint page before I realised what a state he'd managed to get me in. :lol:

If he is going for the 'troll to be popular' style that the likes of Chris Sutton, Craig Burley, Jim Traynor et al have went down over the years then he's blew them completely out of the water and he's absolutely nailed it like no other has before.

I was very close to opening one of these the other day when he was going on about Brechin. 

8 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Unreal how all-in English is with his backing of Hearts' & Partick's legal action.  They are just 'defending their corner' & those who have raised the possibility of the revocation of the SPFL membership are 'lacking in self-awareness' & 'bullying & threatening' both clubs.  The idea that the SPFL clubs should just 'take their [£10 million] medicine' in the face of cuts is unconscionable. 

What will be interesting is his "take" on the joint statement from the promoted clubs today.

My betting, fwiw?

Tom will say that he has every sympathy with those clubs, but that Hearts and Partick had no option after the other clubs cruelly left them swinging in the wind.

Perhaps not those words, but that will be his sentiment tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, Green Day said:

What will be interesting is his "take" on the joint statement from the promoted clubs today.

At this point English will probably try to claim he doesn't understand why United, Raith and Cove can't just be content with being acknowledged as league winners without promotions.

That each club's entirely unreasonable expectation of promotion for being declared winners of their respective lower league - after 80% of games played - displays an unforgivable lack of sympathy towards Hearts and Thistle's predicament.

No doubt Brechin's potential involvement will also need to be scrutinized.

24 minutes ago, captainkev said:

At this point English will probably try to claim he doesn't understand why United, Raith and Cove can't just be content with being acknowledged as league winners without promotions.

That each club's entirely unreasonable expectation of promotion for being declared winners of their respective lower league - after 80% of games played - displays an unforgivable lack of sympathy towards Hearts and Thistle's predicament.

No doubt Brechin's potential involvement will also need to be scrutinized.

I could quite believe him going down that route. If he does how will he square that with his championing of Kelty & Brora who in Kelty's case 6pts ahead of 2ñd who had a game in hand & 5 games still to go?

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sutton, Burley and Traynor at least do/did it with a bit of a sense of fun. English appears to be an actual sanctimonious c**t.

19 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I could quite believe him going down that route. If he does how will he square that with his championing of Kelty & Brora who in Kelty's case 6pts ahead of 2ñd who had a game in hand & 5 games still to go?

Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know that the Highland and Lowland Leagues had been called.

Wonder what his views on relegation from and promotion to the Lowland League are?

Edited by DA Baracus

10 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Yup it'll take a fair amount of sophistry to continue to argue for Kelty and Brora to be promoted without Cove, Rovers and United going up.

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yup it'll take a fair amount of sophistry to continue to argue for Kelty and Brora to be promoted without Cove, Rovers and United going up.

All whilst ignoring the flaw of Celtic winning their league in the argument.

41 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

In an era where people can land a PhD via doctoral theses on Harry Potter films and Twitter trends, the dissection of Tom English's tortured logic must worth a Nobel prize.*

* In medicine/psychiatry, obviously, not fucking literature.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-contact-hearts-partick-thistle-22222264

Although this article amuses me from the "Hearts pantomime" perspective, Keith Jackson is an awful writer.

Even some of the items he quotes are poorly constructed.

"The compliance officer has today had verbal communication with both Hearts and Partick Thistle"

How about using one word - spoken?

7 minutes ago, Green Day said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-contact-hearts-partick-thistle-22222264

Although this article amuses me from the "Hearts pantomime" perspective, Keith Jackson is an awful writer.

Even some of the items he quotes are poorly constructed.

"The compliance officer has today had verbal communication with both Hearts and Partick Thistle"

How about using one word - spoken?

It conveys the intensity of the of the predicament and the gravitas of the author.

He's a dick.

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Where is that? I've been wanting to complain about so called journalists referring to the SPFL as the "senior leagues". Does my head in. If they can't get that right what is correct about anything they publish?

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Where is that? I've been wanting to complain about so called journalists referring to the SPFL as the "senior leagues". Does my head in. If they can't get that right what is correct about anything they publish?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Thanks. I'll keep that handy for the next time some a***hole talks about the "senior leagues" when he's actually referring to the national leagues.

I complained once before about this - can't remember who it was now, one of the Sportsound guys, I think - didn't get a reply.