The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

From that link:

One of three things will happen now. Hearts will change their mind and accept their lot after the SPFL's proposal for an expanded top flight was rejected by clubs. Two, Hearts will lose a legal action and will have no choice but to retreat. Or, Hearts will win a legal action and a new kind of football hell will break loose. Success in court could mean the end of Neil Doncaster as chief executive of the SPFL for surely no leader would survive such a defeat. What it would mean for Hearts - compensation, reinstatement - is really hard to say. The silks are running the show now.

I suspect that's the least well-written (in the sense of being borderline illiterate in its construction), woolliest paragraph the BBC have ever had on their website. Just all-round grim tosh, try-hard drivel. It almost looks as though he wrote it when drunk. "Here are three items that constitute a de facto list. For the sake of consistency, I will start them with 'Hearts', 'Two' (as I've remembered in the middle that there are three peer items), and 'Or'."

Even leaving aside the pay-load content, such as it is, the rambling style is infuriating.

But also, tacking on desperate allusions to the tenability of Doncaster's position, and "silks" just looks like a plummeting former high-flyer who's scrambling for relevance.

I would love a journalist (such as mr Tom English), to give an explanation of why the disgrace  of Brora and Kelty not to be “promoted”, is more worthy of discussion, than clubs in the lower half of the premiership suffering financially through a forced 14 team permanent premiership just to save hearts...

Sorry, I dont pay much attention to lower leagues, but i assume both Brora and Kelty would play off against each another for the pleasure of playing bottom team in league 2. (Brechin as called due to covid). So sticking to simple statistics. Brora and Kelty have a 50% chance of winning this play off. The victors would then play bottom team and have a 50% chance of winning. So Brora and Kelty would have had a 25% chance of promotion. Not the sure thing being discussed 

It was shown that the lower half of the premiership may lose at least 300-500k each season due to 14 team league with split after 26 games, less games against bigger teams and probable lack of walk ups due to meaningless games ....

But let’s talk about Brora and Kelty...

Edited by flood

2 hours ago, sugna said:

But also, tacking on desperate allusions to the tenability of Doncaster's position, and "silks" just looks like a plummeting former high-flyer who's scrambling for relevance.

I am increasingly of the opinion that Doncaster is powerless and simply organises meetings for the clubs and does their bidding, he then goes out and takes all the flak and is paid handsomely for it.

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

I am increasingly of the opinion that Doncaster is powerless and simply organises meetings for the clubs and does their bidding, he then goes out and takes all the flak and is paid handsomely for it.

Some people still believe he's some sort of mad power hungry dictator who has some sort of hidden agenda and can just change things as he wishes.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Some people still believe he's some sort of mad power hungry dictator who has some sort of hidden agenda and can just change things as he wishes.

You mean Hearts fans and Tom English? 

13 hours ago, sugna said:

From that link:

I suspect that's the least well-written (in the sense of being borderline illiterate in its construction), woolliest paragraph the BBC have ever had on their website. Just all-round grim tosh, try-hard drivel. It almost looks as though he wrote it when drunk. "Here are three items that constitute a de facto list. For the sake of consistency, I will start them with 'Hearts', 'Two' (as I've remembered in the middle that there are three peer items), and 'Or'."

Even leaving aside the pay-load content, such as it is, the rambling style is infuriating.

Do you think he's seething and on the verge of tears?

Probably is, having written such a mewling, snot ridden piece.

14 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Used to have a lot of time for Tom English, but the last wee while he has been truly horrendous. He has been one sided, obnoxious, sensationalist and his ability to deal in facts has been poor also.  It really is quite something to see  the turn around in him. He is so far along this path it is impossible for him to turn around.

Read his piece today, very, very, poor indeed.

He really has turned into a slightly better educated, more talented version of Jim Traynor.  It’s strange.  His rugby pieces are generally much better, but he was not always this way.

12 hours ago, ropy said:

I'm not even sure you need to caveat that as an opinion, that's precisely his job.

20 hours ago, flood said:

I would love a journalist (such as mr Tom English), to give an explanation of why the disgrace  of Brora and Kelty not to be “promoted”, is more worthy of discussion, than clubs in the lower half of the premiership suffering financially through a forced 14 team permanent premiership just to save hearts...

Sorry, I dont pay much attention to lower leagues, but i assume both Brora and Kelty would play off against each another for the pleasure of playing bottom team in league 2. (Brechin as called due to covid). So sticking to simple statistics. Brora and Kelty have a 50% chance of winning this play off. The victors would then play bottom team and have a 50% chance of winning. So Brora and Kelty would have had a 25% chance of promotion. Not the sure thing being discussed 

It was shown that the lower half of the premiership may lose at least 300-500k each season due to 14 team league with split after 26 games, less games against bigger teams and probable lack of walk ups due to meaningless games ....

But let’s talk about Brora and Kelty...

Football is not a game of chance. Each team does not have an equal chance of winning. Barcelona V Falkirk for example is not a 50/50 game so your post is utterly pointless

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He really has turned into a slightly better educated, more talented version of Jim Traynor.  It’s strange.  His rugby pieces are generally much better, but he was not always this way.

Hoi! Traynor was at my alma mater albeit he was a few years in front of me. But he allegedly wore a Celtic top to PE, so he courted controversy even then, he would've been in a minority of one at that time.

26 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Football is not a game of chance. Each team does not have an equal chance of winning. Barcelona V Falkirk for example is not a 50/50 game so your post is utterly pointless

But this is not Barcelona V Falkirk being mentioned , it is the LL Champions V the HL Champions .........A very hard one to call so 50/50 would be about right . 

The next 2 matches V team 42 might be slightly in team 42's favour given the previous matches sapping both mental and physical energy  but would still probably be classed as a 50/50 . 

Sorry but I think the prize for the pointless post goes to you. 

Tom English at it again on the BBC Podcast today, about: what did the rest of Scottish football expect after what they did to poor old Hearts, Thistle, Stranraer, and of course you guessed it Boroa & Kelty.

What the rest of Scottish football expects is for these clubs to take some fucking responsibility for being utter dugshite for the entirety of the season (and a fair chunk of last), winning barely a handful of games between them, as opposed to the , “well if we can’t play in the Premiership, we’ll try to see to it that nobody can” attitude.

To be fair, it must be very difficult for Tom English to see any other view, from his position with his head deep inside Anne Budge’s arse!.

Podcast is only 24 minutes long and I couldn't finish it.

To be fair to Tom English, he's fair getting under my skin with his pish. I was about a minute away from having a complete head's gone the other day.