The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

21 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

We went into that game in a race with Kilmarnock for Europe, Saints took a big support that day and the money that was being offered outside the ground for tickets was mental. Even after the game we were offered money for our ticket stubs.

The majority of the Saints fans stayed for the trophy presentation. That certainly would not be the case now. 

We were a point ahead of you after beating Rangers at Ibrox in the last minute the previous weekend while at the same time you had come from behind to beat Motherwell. We ended up drawing at home to Hibs, which meant that a win for Saints would have put you above us. It would have been fairly embarrassing for Gary Holt and someone else (Ally Mitchell?) who had dyed their hair blue and white for the final day.

I believe it was the last ever time that the final league games were played on a Saturday at 3pm too - none of it was on TV.

Edited by craigkillie

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It was a moment which marked the end of one significant era of Scottish football

Significant matches are not the same as classic matches. Classic matches are great matches, or matches that set some sort of standard of quality or excitement that everyone can appreciate. Whatever they call them, the BBC should be streaming games because they're entertaining, not because they're significant for one or other of the old firm.

If significance is a factor for choosing what we watch we're in trouble. After all, Rangers losing Morelos to suspension after Christmas is probably significant, but I wouldn't want to see highlights of it.

Edited by Mr Heliums

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You're mixing it up with 1993/94 I think. Rangers were still going for the title when we beat them at Ibrox in 1997/98.

The Mark Hateley in defence game.  Now if there was ever a game that needed an investigation 😉

Just seen a warning from work that journalists pretending to be from the DHSC are calling up organisations that deal with vulnerable people to fish for contact details. Some poor sods ended up with a hack quizzing them about whether or not their kid had recovered from Coronavirus.

Much like politics, I get the impression that a desire to enter the field of journalism should be enough to burn someone alive.

• 2 weeks later...

So going by the BBC rumour mill section, the Sun claims - with no named sources - Tommy Wright quit after a furious “bust up”. The Daily Record has an interview with, erm, Tommy Wright, in which he says it was an amicable parting. Imagine being out-journalismed by Keith Jackson.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

So going by the BBC rumour mill section, the Sun claims - with no named sources - Tommy Wright quit after a furious “bust up”. The Daily Record has an interview with, erm, Tommy Wright, in which he says it was an amicable parting. Imagine being out-journalismed by Keith Jackson.

Sadly that article was written by a Saints fan who seemingly fell out with the club last year.

Because its him, you've now got a fanbase more interested in criticising the club and trying to hound an employee out a job than praising the legend who's just left.

Sadly that article was written by a Saints fan who seemingly fell out with the club last year.
Because its him, you've now got a fanbase more interested in criticising the club and trying to hound an employee out a job than praising the legend who's just left.

Even if none of that was true - and I have absolutely no reason to doubt it - it’s a case study in reading tabloid press for accuracy. No named sources versus an interview with the protagonist himself. Scandalous “journalism”.

Enjoy the BBC article today praising fans for shelling out for season tickets for next season etc., before adding advice from an expert at the end about how to claim a refund if the games don't go ahead.

On 03/05/2020 at 22:34, tree house tam said:

Does anyone really give a f**k why he's left? Thanks for your efforts Tam, we move on.

I think it's really important.

I for one, have never really felt any sense of closure over 'Pele' Paterson's departure.

I pleaded "why, Pele, why"?

I remember he gave a response, but...  whether it was his slurred delivery, or the excellent sound insulation that the boot of a Ford Mondeo provides, it was to indiscernible, muffled, and carried away on the the wind.  It just felt so, unsatisfactory.

Yours, ever wistful

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Enjoy the BBC article today praising fans for shelling out for season tickets for next season etc., before adding advice from an expert at the end about how to claim a refund if the games don't go ahead.

I agree that that is the weirdest thing. Can't speak for anyone else, but I've renewed my season ticket to help out my club. If I get zero matches for my money I've gone in with my eyes wide open.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I agree that that is the weirdest thing. Can't speak for anyone else, but I've renewed my season ticket to help out my club. If I get zero matches for my money I've gone in with my eyes wide open.

Presumably you had budgeted for it anyway, what would you have spent it on otherwise, wine, women, sheep?

Alex Rae "would take" Turnbull, Hickey, McKenna, Lewis and Ferguson at Ibrox. LOL. One of his reasons for considering the latter a good fit was that he (Rae) "played against James McCarthy at Hamilton when he was a similar age".

Scottish Sun, in case you wondered....

Presumably he would only take a who's who of the best young players in Scotland (buy now pay later obvs) if theres a shortage of shite/disinterested loanees from Englandshire available to continue Slippys run of mediocrity/bottle crashing.

Alex Rae "would take" Turnbull, Hickey, McKenna, Lewis and Ferguson at Ibrox. LOL. One of his reasons for considering the latter a good fit was that he (Rae) "played against James McCarthy at Hamilton when he was a similar age".

Scottish Sun, in case you wondered....

12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Quite whey Alex Rae is given a platform to air his opinions to more than an empty room I have no idea.  He hasn’t spoke any sense his entire career.

Bairnardo sized print?