The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

This is me being a pedant more than the journalism being an issue, but to rant about it anyway, the BBC have an article up headlined ‘Mitch Megginson - the deadliest striker you’ve never heard of’.

Considering that, as the article points out, Megginson made over 30 appearances for Aberdeen, played for various Championship clubs and has scored double figures in a season at that level, I’d imagine that the vast majority of people reading the Scottish football section of any website have obviously heard of Mitch Megginson.

It also said it's Cove's first season in the senior leagues.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

This is me being a pedant more than the journalism being an issue, but to rant about it anyway

And this more about the graph designer than journalism, but why bother to remove three letters from Rovers and Rangers when there's already a longer label?

Capture.JPG

I was in church yesterday and got to thinking about how God created the heavens and earth in the space of six days before resting on the seventh day.

And how also within seven days Stevie Gerard's Rangers had made the world of football stand up and take notice of their 10-0 aggregate win over St Josephs, which just might be the more impressive achievement given the shambles the club had been in when being defeated in the same competition by Progres only 2 years ago.

8 minutes ago, LeeVanTeeth said:

I was in church yesterday and got to thinking about how God created the heavens and earth in the space of six days before resting on the seventh day.

And how also within seven days Stevie Gerard's Rangers had made the world of football stand up and take notice of their 10-0 aggregate win over St Josephs, which just might be the more impressive achievement given the shambles the club had been in when being defeated in the same competition by Progres only 2 years ago.

We've played two games and won both. Scoring 10 and not conceding in the process. This means we are projected to win all 38 league games this season finishing on 114 points with a goal difference of 190. That will be very hard to beat. In fact only Motherwell have any chance but we will probably beat them to the title on goal difference.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

This is me being a pedant more than the journalism being an issue, but to rant about it anyway, the BBC have an article up headlined ‘Mitch Megginson - the deadliest striker you’ve never heard of’.

Considering that, as the article points out, Megginson made over 30 appearances for Aberdeen, played for various Championship clubs and has scored double figures in a season at that level, I’d imagine that the vast majority of people reading the Scottish football section of any website have obviously heard of Mitch Megginson.

Aye this irked me as well. I figured it was someone in the junior leagues they were talking about. They really have a low opinion of football fans don't they?

This is really a dreadful article from Gordon Parks about the Killie manager dreadful journalism and even worse decision to print it. 

The season barely underway and he wants him sacked effectively, probably upset a home grown dinosaur like McLeish, Strachan etc was overlooked for the job.

I have no idea how that guy will get on but this article is totally out of order.

3 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

The season barely underway and he wants him sacked effectively

The season's really not 'barely underway' for a club facing its first European tie in years against some part-time, vowel-hating rabble and you made a royal c**t of it. That's a major part of your job performance for the campaign failed already. 

There's absolutely no reason why a manager shouldn't be sacked in July if they have failed at their job to a sufficient degree. There is no point in a club persisting with a terrible manager until they've 'had enough time' i.e. milling around the bottom of the table in September and leaving the new manager with a salvage operation. 

I have no idea how that guy will get on but this article is totally out of order.

We already how the guy 'got on' against Connah's Quay in a crucial match and he failed - it's entirely fair for people to argue that he should be sacked on that basis. 

a dreadful article from Gordon Parks about the Killie manager dreadful journalism and even worse decision to print it.

You should have just stopped here, as anything written by Gordon Parks automatically filters into this thread, regardless of his chosen topic. 

Edited by vikingTON