Jump to content
Ludo*1

The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Recommended Posts

The Premiership highlights on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/splofficial

"Celtic 4-0 St Mirren | Burke and Weah Score on Premiership Debut! | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"St Johnstone 1-0 Livingston | Late Davidson Strike Earns Saints Win | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"Hearts 1-2 Dundee | Dundee Move off Bottom Spot! | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"Motherwell 1-0 Hibernian | Turnbull Strike Seals Steelmen Victory | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"Hamilton 0-3 Aberdeen | Cosgrove Double as Dons Breeze Past Accies | Ladbrokes Premiership"

Spot a theme? All headlined as something positive about the home winning team.

Then we come to the game at Rugby Park:

"Kilmarnock 2-1 Rangers | Defoe Debut Spoiled by Future Ger Jones! | Ladbrokes Premiership"

Edited by The Master

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Master said:

The Premiership highlights on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/splofficial

"Celtic 4-0 St Mirren | Burke and Weah Score on Premiership Debut! | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"St Johnstone 1-0 Livingston | Late Davidson Strike Earns Saints Win | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"Hearts 1-2 Dundee | Dundee Move off Bottom Spot! | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"Motherwell 1-0 Hibernian | Turnbull Strike Seals Steelmen Victory | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"Hamilton 0-3 Aberdeen | Cosgrove Double as Dons Breeze Past Accies | Ladbrokes Premiership"

Spot a theme? All headlined as something positive about the home team.

Then we come to the game at Rugby Park:

"Kilmarnock 2-1 Rangers | Defoe Debut Spoiled by Future Ger Jones! | Ladbrokes Premiership"

In what way is "Dundee move off bottom spot" or "Cosgrove Double as Dons breeze past Accies" positive to the home team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

In what way is "Dundee move off bottom spot" or "Cosgrove Double as Dons breeze past Accies" positive to the home team?

My bad, I meant "winning".

Duly corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:
21 minutes ago, The Master said:

The Premiership highlights on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/splofficial

"Celtic 4-0 St Mirren | Burke and Weah Score on Premiership Debut! | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"St Johnstone 1-0 Livingston | Late Davidson Strike Earns Saints Win | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"Hearts 1-2 Dundee | Dundee Move off Bottom Spot! | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"Motherwell 1-0 Hibernian | Turnbull Strike Seals Steelmen Victory | Ladbrokes Premiership"
"Hamilton 0-3 Aberdeen | Cosgrove Double as Dons Breeze Past Accies | Ladbrokes Premiership"

Spot a theme? All headlined as something positive about the home team.

Then we come to the game at Rugby Park:

"Kilmarnock 2-1 Rangers | Defoe Debut Spoiled by Future Ger Jones! | Ladbrokes Premiership"

In what way is "Dundee move off bottom spot" or "Cosgrove Double as Dons breeze past Accies" positive to the home team?

Just what I though too. Ironic given the title of this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As somebody who likes American Football I absolutely despise this 'article' - 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-must-make-var-happen-13897806

It's meant to be about VAR in Scottish Football but I'd say 80% of it is him basically saying he hasn't a clue what happened last week in the Rams match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2019 at 16:20, Monkey Tennis said:

That's the sort of mistake that annoys me most.

Me too 

On 20/01/2019 at 16:20, Monkey Tennis said:

It just betrays such a lack of interest and care.  

Portrays ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Portrays ;)

I'm afraid not.

 

Betray:  unintentionally reveal; be evidence of.

"she drew a deep breath that betrayed her indignation"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm afraid not.

 

Betray:  unintentionally reveal; be evidence of.

"she drew a deep breath that betrayed her indignation"

I stand corrected. 

I'd gone for...

Portray: describe (someone or something) in a particular way.
"the book portrayed him as a self-serving careerist"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

As somebody who likes American Football I absolutely despise this 'article' - 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-must-make-var-happen-13897806

It's meant to be about VAR in Scottish Football but I'd say 80% of it is him basically saying he hasn't a clue what happened last week in the Rams match.

That's an atrocious article*.

I'm no great lover of NFL, but he's just neglecting the popularity of it and assuming everyone finds it as boring as he does.

 

* only made it to the second paragraph, but I think I can safely assume it doesn't improve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to updates from "Livingstone" later on BBC Scotland.

Dx67rGGX0AA4m0G.jpg:large

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The newspaper that supports an independent Scotland couldn't be bothered to mention the Ayr-Dundee Utd match yet had a large report on Arsenal- Man Utd which kicked off later and finished very late, so their usual excuse about deadlines doesn't wash.

Had a quick look at their Sunday. Big article on FA cup but couldn't see anything on our three leagues outside the premiership. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the BBC, we trailed Partick Thistle 3-1 for a few minutes yesterday.

By full time though, we'd managed to peg them back to 2-1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 11:32, lanky_ffc said:

That's an atrocious article*.

I'm no great lover of NFL, but he's just neglecting the popularity of it and assuming everyone finds it as boring as he does.

 

* only made it to the second paragraph, but I think I can safely assume it doesn't improve

It did get worse, its a wonder folk still read the Record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

According to the BBC, we trailed Partick Thistle 3-1 for a few minutes yesterday.

By full time though, we'd managed to peg them back to 2-1. 

On Sportscene results, Jane Lewis said Thistle had just scored to make it 3-1, then she went quiet but you could still hear the crowd. Minutes later we were told it was still 2-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Owsley said:

On Sportscene results, Jane Lewis said Thistle had just scored to make it 3-1, then she went quiet but you could still hear the crowd. Minutes later we were told it was still 2-1.

Yes, a goal was disallowed apparently.

Checking the goal stands would seem a pretty basic part of the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...