The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm afraid not.

Betray:  unintentionally reveal; be evidence of.

"she drew a deep breath that betrayed her indignation"

I stand corrected. 

I'd gone for...

Portray: describe (someone or something) in a particular way.
"the book portrayed him as a self-serving careerist"

20 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

As somebody who likes American Football I absolutely despise this 'article' - 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-must-make-var-happen-13897806

It's meant to be about VAR in Scottish Football but I'd say 80% of it is him basically saying he hasn't a clue what happened last week in the Rams match.

That's an atrocious article*.

I'm no great lover of NFL, but he's just neglecting the popularity of it and assuming everyone finds it as boring as he does.

* only made it to the second paragraph, but I think I can safely assume it doesn't improve

The newspaper that supports an independent Scotland couldn't be bothered to mention the Ayr-Dundee Utd match yet had a large report on Arsenal- Man Utd which kicked off later and finished very late, so their usual excuse about deadlines doesn't wash.

Had a quick look at their Sunday. Big article on FA cup but couldn't see anything on our three leagues outside the premiership. 

On 1/25/2019 at 11:32, lanky_ffc said:

That's an atrocious article*.

I'm no great lover of NFL, but he's just neglecting the popularity of it and assuming everyone finds it as boring as he does.

* only made it to the second paragraph, but I think I can safely assume it doesn't improve

It did get worse, its a wonder folk still read the Record.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

According to the BBC, we trailed Partick Thistle 3-1 for a few minutes yesterday.

By full time though, we'd managed to peg them back to 2-1. 

On Sportscene results, Jane Lewis said Thistle had just scored to make it 3-1, then she went quiet but you could still hear the crowd. Minutes later we were told it was still 2-1.

1 minute ago, Owsley said:

On Sportscene results, Jane Lewis said Thistle had just scored to make it 3-1, then she went quiet but you could still hear the crowd. Minutes later we were told it was still 2-1.

Yes, a goal was disallowed apparently.

Checking the goal stands would seem a pretty basic part of the job.

IMG_0459.thumb.jpg.a493298392309811ea92f15577be2d8b.jpg

Some solace taken with Livi getting it right up the BBC there.

Utter contempt for anyone or anything that is not the OF
Last weekend they tweeted that Rangers cup tie at Cowdenbeath was off, rather than simply that the Cowdenbeath v Rangers game was off. It's quite petty, but those are the little things but they'll do just to just to pander to the two cheeks. They never listen when you complain about it either, they're becoming expert trolls really.

50 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Last weekend they tweeted that Rangers cup tie at Cowdenbeath was off, rather than simply that the Cowdenbeath v Rangers game was off. It's quite petty, but those are the little things but they'll do just to just to pander to the two cheeks. They never listen when you complain about it either, they're becoming expert trolls really.

It's not petty actually. The thing is, I don't for one minute think it's deliberate. It's just the mindset of the weegie media, and any of the media that covers Scottish football unfortunately. The bigots are all they think and care about. Everyone else is just an irrelevance. It's really hammered home when you play one of them.  

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

It's not petty actually. The thing is, I don't for one minute think it's deliberate. It's just the mindset of the weegie media, and any of the media that covers Scottish football unfortunately. The bigots are all they think and care about. Everyone else is just an irrelevance. It's really hammered home when you play one of them.  

Yes, absolutely.

It's not trolling; it's nothing that concerted.  It's just a clear reflection of the attitudes of those that write the stuff.  It should be highlighted and challenged every time because it contributes directly to the imbalance.

1 hour ago, gkneil said:

IMG_0459.jpg

Some solace taken with Livi getting it right up the BBC there.

Utter contempt for anyone or anything that is not the OF

At least they spelled Livingston correctly that time.

Was about to post the BBC's attempt to redress the balance but I see they've deleted it because it was so ridiculous. Was along the lines of "Livi denied late penalty as Rangers win" - ignoring the fact it was 3-0 and late in the game when Livi should have had their penalty.

Edited by Stu