The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

This piece by Michael Gannon takes some beating, about Rangers having a place at the top table of Scottish football.

Because, you know, a club which is known for its financial mismanagement is just what we want influencing all of the decision made at the top of the game.

Just do away with elections and let the 'big five' run the game forever.

Is Jim Traynor still sports editor there by any chance?

This piece by Michael Gannon takes some beating, about Rangers having a place at the top table of Scottish football.

Because, you know, a club which is known for its financial mismanagement is just what we want influencing all of the decision made at the top of the game.

Fucking diddies running the game with 1 board rep and a voting structure massively against them. Who do they think they are? Shouldn't they know their place and play in a league structure they don't want? Edited by parsforlife

An old one but always springs to mind when thinking about awful articles. Chick Young slating Thistle's decision to sack his mate Gerry Collins as manager.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/partick_thistle/3299025.stm

You wouldn't think our record when he got sacked was

P14 W0 D2 L12

An old one but always springs to mind when thinking about awful articles. Chick Young slating Thistle's decision to sack his mate Gerry Collins as manager.

P14 W0 D2 L12

"Shite Journalism Playoff" Here

Craig Burley's column on part-time clubs.

Gannon just wrote the same article tbh

At the moment the SPFL board has three reps from the Premiership, two from the Championship and one from the bottom two divisions.

Fair enough? Well, not really.

The clue is really in the league name. The second word’s the giveaway – professional.

It’s a miracle they’ve not been done by the Trades Description Act given half the teams in the game are not actually professional. They’re semi-pro.

They may have lost some influence when the leagues rejoined but the big clubs still missed a trick in the botched restructuring two years ago. There should have been a 20 pro-team set-up and the rest regionalised. As much as we love the small clubs in the bottom divisions, they are not professional sporting bodies.

Not when they are paying guys 50 bucks a week. They have their place in the pecking order and in their communities.

But not at the thick end.

The game needs streamlined and it needs to be led by the big five and the rest of the full-time clubs. If noses need put out of joint in the process, then so be it. Sorry chaps, it’s been fun but off you pop

As always, it's the journalist's factual inadequacy which frustrates me.

Clubs in SPFL1 & 2 already have barely any representation or voting power. They receive only a few % of SPFL income.

There were several part-timers in the Championship and several full-timers in SPFL1 last season.

So what would "streamlining" actually achieve?

Gannon just wrote the same article tbh

Just like the Burley article, I just can't see what harm the smaller lower division clubs do. They don't wield huge influence, they don't take lots of money from the pot and a number of them are model community clubs as far as I can see. There are plenty of targets for "off you pop", but the smaller clubs aren't one of them...

Oh - and the "big five" which I've seen in a couple of places now - would that be the big five that had 3 of their number in the lower leagues last year? I get that he means commercially of course - but it's a pretty dispiriting way to look at our game TBH.

P14 W0 D2 L12

Think Chick Young must have written his Wikipedia page too:

"Thistle's new look side struggled to cope at this level and were bottom of the league with no wins when Collins was sacked as manager. The sacking came at a time when Thistle were gradually improving in performances if not results. Collins was sacked after an impressive performance at Parkhead where Thistle bravely went down 3–1. Collins was only given 14 weeks as manager, scant reward for many years service as a successful assistant."

P14 W0 D2 L12

:lol:

I don't listen to the radio so I'd always assumed some of the hatred directed towards Chick had to be hyperbole but that article is just sheer lunacy.

Holy shit! This guy has a job, a paid job, writing articles about Scottish Football? Seriously?

In fairness, and last time I looked, he did have a disclaimer in case some of his toe curling personal views were confused with some of his toe curling, award winning professional reportage.

Just do away with elections and let the 'big five' run the game forever.

Is Jim Traynor still sports editor there by any chance?

At the Record? No, he was oot the door and into the embrace of Charles Green as tame hack at the end of 2012. You have never seen such a big man backpedal so quickly.

Did Jim Traynor just fall off the face of the Earth after Rangers punted him and he'd had one pop too many to have even a chance of getting his old job's back?

Did Jim Traynor just fall off the face of the Earth after Rangers punted him and he'd had one pop too many to have even a chance of getting his old job's back?

He set up a PR company called Level5, who worked with Dave King in his takeover bid for Rangers. I'm sure the subsequent fluffing that King received in tabloids was just a coincidence.