The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I'm being kind here by calling him a journalist, but the geezer that runs the 'Scotzine' fanzine.

What an absolute simpleton. A foaming at the mouth, lunatic of a boy.

He doesn't take criticism too well as I discovered when I wasted an hour of my life responding to him on twitter over some nonsense of his website.

He does, however, enjoy any kind of attention. It's a bit weird reading a twitter exchange between him and the likes of Jack and Jackson. All of them bloated on a sense of their own importance and ego.

Holy shit! This guy has a job, a paid job, writing articles about Scottish Football? Seriously?

Indeed. There is a dangerous kind of simple-minded Power/Precision worship at the root of the massive fascination with pro football in this country, and sportswriters are mainly responsible for it. With a few rare exceptions like Bob Lipsyte of The New York Times and Tom Quinn of the (now-defunct) Washington Daily News, sportswriters are a kind of rude and brainless subculture of fascist drunks whose only real function is to publicize & sell whatever the sports editor sends them out to cover....

Which is a nice way to make a living, because it keeps a man busy and requires no thought at all. The two keys to success as a sportswriter are: 1) A blind willingness to believe anything you're told by the coaches, flacks, hustlers and other "official spokesmen" for the team-owners who provide the free booze ... and: 2) A Roget's Thesaurus, in order to avoid using the same verbs and adjectives twice in the same paragraph.

Chris Jack meet Hunter Thompson.

I recall Dodds' score predictor once had ICT finishing with 7 points for the season if you took his results as actual ones. And Celtic won all 38 games or something.

He had Celtic and Rangers unbeaten for the whole season.

All 4 league meetings between them were draws I seem to recall. What a balloon.

Chris Jack meet Hunter Thompson.

To be honest, I assumed Chris Jack already spent most of his time pished and writing through the lens of opiates and hallucinogens.

He had Celtic and Rangers unbeaten for the whole season.

All 4 league meetings between them were draws I seem to recall. What a balloon.

I really dislike Billy Dodds, but to be fair to him if you're doing a predicter of sorts in Scotland (especially at that time) the smart way to do so would be to take Rangers & Celtic to win every week. It's going to be correct more often than not.

I really dislike Billy Dodds, but to be fair to him if you're doing a predicter of sorts in Scotland (especially at that time) the smart way to do so would be to take Rangers & Celtic to win every week. It's going to be correct more often than not.

Also I suspect Billy has bugger all to do with his predictions either.

:blink: Other papers actually use sub-editing offices in India, which surely can't work?

Indian English has absolutely perfect grammar in all its educational settings. All comes from them learning English from the right top of the tree toffs and it getting passed down as almost sacred throughout their schools* (unlike British, American, Aussie, English etc. which is constantly evolving and adding pieces of dialect and formerly important grammatical points going out of common usage).

*yet, still, constantly their comments on the Guardian sports pages are eye-bleedingly bad.

Indian English has absolutely perfect grammar in all its educational settings. All comes from them learning English from the right top of the tree toffs and it getting passed down as almost sacred throughout their schools* (unlike British, American, Aussie, English etc. which is constantly evolving and adding pieces of dialect and formerly important grammatical points going out of common usage).

*yet, still, constantly their comments on the Guardian sports pages are eye-bleedingly bad.

It was more in terms of local places/words/phrases that can't possibly be transferred.

I can't make up my mind whether he sounds more like a Bond villian or a traditional jazz musician.

I thought he'd be a Nigerian 23 year old 45 year old who'd play ten games in two years for Kilmarnock reserves.

Or a regenerated player in CM who scores 46 goals in 23 games.

There's no In between with Duke.